1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between i.Link and Digital Optical input/Digital Coaxial Input

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Arshad, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the difference between i.Link and Digital Coaxial/Digital Optical input?

I believe they are all digital so how is i.Link different than the other two?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i.Link is the only one able to carry full 24bit/192Khz audio and multichannel 24bit/96Khz from SACD and DVDA. And at least on the Pioneer kit also includes a clock sync feature to prevent jitter between components. You can also daisy chain multiple devices in an i.Link 'network' and each identifies its self by name, so with just 2 i.Link ports on each box you can link dozens of devices.

To keep the distributers happy it also encrypts the audio and hence the full high res audio support is allowed legally.

3. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ailean,

Thanks alot for the info.

i.Link is the only one able to carry full 24bit/192Khz audio and multichannel 24bit/96Khz from SACD and DVDA. Does this also apply to the DVD Video?

4. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what you mean, i.Link Audio only carries audio signals. It can carry anything from 16bit/44.1khz (CD) upto 24bit/192khz (DVDA). It will also carry DD, DTS etc.

I think normal COAX/Opti can only manage 24bit/96khz stereo maximum but the record/film suits have made a legal limit for unencrypted audio at around 16bit/48khz so any copy protected disc containing higher res audio will be downsampled inside the player before output on normal COAX/Opti digital.

For normal CD and DVDV titles i.Link doesn't add anything new apart from the clock sync (which may only be a Pioneer enhancement, but I've not seen enough i.Link gear to be certain yet). But it is a bit more future proof for new standards.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I will post much more on this tomorrow :)

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
  7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    :)

8. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should we ignore the thread in advance :)

Nic do it Nic do it Nic do it Nic do it Nic do it Nic do it Nic do it Nic do it Nic do it

But don't forget to mention how many crappy silicons and poor implementations may be found around, not even coming close to the max specs, as well as video limitations.

Uf sticky...

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also dont forget to mention if it is true that encrypted audio is not supported by current devices... :rolleyes:

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    well spotted LR, this is the one thing I can't bottomm out at the moment and the reason I have held off upgrading kit at the moment. Will post four plus pages on digital interfaces this afternoon :)

being voted for a sticky before I have posted is a little too much faith I think. I got very drunk last night and there might need to be some 'editing' :)