1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between DVI and VGA

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dUnKle, Oct 23, 2005.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,489
    Whats the real world difference between the two

Its question been asked by a friend who wants to know why he should go and buy a DVI cable to connect his monitor to his graphics card

my comment of "because its better" just fell on deaf ears

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Essentially DVI is digital. VGA is analogue. The analogue signal needs to be 'digitised' to produce an image. Also with digital signals, cable length and quality becomes less of an issue.

3. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Actually analogue vga (RGBHV) is far more robust over long distances than DVI.

Officially DVI is only supposed to be run a couple of meters.You need very expensive cables to run dvi longer than this reliably

5. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI rocks VGA. VGA signals are all messed up, i.e. when you plug in a CRT you gotta play with Keystone and all that, with DVI the picture is perfect Geometrically EVERYTime. Now that's Gangsta.

6. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Can't use it on my LCD and graphics card cos when i put the tv on standby the pc thinks the display s no-longer connected. When i turn the tv back on i get nothing... Keyboard shortcuts have to be used to re-enable it. Ive gone back to VGA.

Now thats way way down in the ghetto.... :-(

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    This is a display issue. There is no reason why a dvi signal should give better geometry than vga.

8. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think if it's practical then yes he should use DVI, mainly because this would remove the A/D conversion, although I'm not sure how much the improvement would be visible on a monitor.

I'm still tempted to try DVI but as my HTPC is under my TV and I need a 10mtr cable run to my PJ I don't really think it's worth the hassle/expense, unless anyone can convince me to spend money on a nvidia 6 series DVI graphics card and 10mtr DVI cable ;) especially as a 10mtr DVI cable run may not even work.

I think any of my picture quality problems are down to the source material (DVD) more than the output/cable.

9. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    It depends on the source & the display device. My wife has two Acer 19" LCD monitors & while VGA is very, very good when we had one DVI & one VGA it was clear that the DVI picture was clearer & sharper. We had to buy a Matrox card with two DVI sockets & now the display on both is fantastic.

On my Panasonic AE700 projector connecting the PC via VGA gives a noticeably poorer picture than a DVI->HDMI.

10. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Wardle, can I just say that you do ask some very interesting questions. Never shrouded in technicality, just straight to the point. Thanks.

My own view on this is that the difference in terms of a picture' from a PC to a monitor is that they are both good, especially if you are sat up close to the monitor. It's the resolution that gives you a good picture in either case I think.

However, in terms of watching TV or DVD on a monitor, especially from a distance (as in a HTPC) VGA tends to be duller, DVI gives me a brighter more vibrant picture. I tried it on an LCD in my bedroom with both connections so DVI is my preferred choice.

Having said that, the analogue equivalent of DVI isn't VGA, it's component and to be honest, component is the equal of DVI IMHO, it's just that DVI carries with it that copyright handshake malarkey thing which can cause some DVD's to be rejected. A most distressing experience if you've lovingly built a HTPC and stumped up for the original DVD.

Jon.

11. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thought it was HDMI which carried copyright info.....? You can get cable converting DVI-D to HDMI cos i've got one.

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Yes absolutely right. HDMI is essentially a dvi video signal with some copyright flags and the ability to output additional signals through the one connector. (audio , information flags about the video etc).

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I wouldn't say component is the analogue equivalent of DVI. DVI is I believe digitally encoded 8bit rgb as opposed to digital yuv. The analogue would be an RGB format and the highest quality analogue rgb format is RGBHV which is what you get from a bog standard vga connection. Its effectively the digital output of the graphics card without running it through a digital to analogue convertor ( to get VGA).

And as already mentioned DVI doesn't have copy protection . HDMI does.

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    DVI 'can' carry HDCP but doesn't always, especially when output from a PC. HDMI however is 'required' to carry HDCP as part of its specs.

Mark.

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100% bang on :smashin: .