Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Difference between 36PG50 and 36PB50 ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by torimusic, Sep 11, 2001.

1. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please tell me how the Panasonic 36PG50 differs from the 36PB50 apart from the box design ? I own a 36PG50 and was reading a review on the 36PB50 and the only difference I could pick up was that the 36PB50 has a coax digital input in addition to the optical input.

2. EddyC

EddyC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read somewhere in these forums that they unfortunatly haven't. Have also heard that the "humming" hasn't been totally rectified either. If you're interested in one then I would suggest an intensive demo.

4. EddyC

EddyC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of curiosity, I rang Panasonic UK's Customer Care line this afternoon to see what the story was regarding a non-Dolby Digital version of the PB50.

The girl I spoke to said there is a PB30 which is the same model but with Nicam only. This has just been approved for sale in the UK and should be with dealers only. (I forgot to confirm if this was available in a 36" model, but I assume it is.) I asked what the difference was between this and the PL30 range, since on paper they seem to have the same spec. She said that the PB range is Panasonic's current top-end range and has the high-end features w.r.t. digital processing, etc, etc -- the PL30 is more mid-range.

I'd guess the PB30 should sort out the problem with the volume control since it would almost certainly just have the traditional L/R line-out pair for connection to an external amp which would be independent of the TV's volume. Probably won't help with the humming though, unless that was originating in the speakers (which I doubt).

Eddy

[ 25-09-2001: Message edited by: EddyC ]</p>

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't it be nice to have all the top end picture specifications with plain old pure NICAM. Then people with seperates could be reasonably certain that most of the money has gone into the "visual side" of the TV. Although I admit that an "All In One" package does have certain advantages, but given the choice personally I would prefer the money/research to have gone into the picture side of the TV.<br />(Horses for courses?)