1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between 2MP and 3MP?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by JIT, Jul 3, 2003.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is there a significant difference between 2MP and 3MP? I'm looking at the Canon A60 and A70, reading up on them this is the main difference apart from the A70 being able to record video which i'd be using my Mini-DV for anyway.

The A60 is £170 while the A70 is £236 so is this picture increase worth the extra £66?

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes 3Mp is better than 2, but as to how important that is to you it all depends on what you are doing with the image ie what you will print on/publish on/use it for. a 3 meg picture has 25% more pixels for each dimension
    A70 2048 x 1536 pixels
    A60 1600 x 1200 pixels
    on a 300dpi printer on A4 full page your printer is capable of more detail than the camera, the more megapixels the larger the image before you can tell its a digital pic!!! But its up to you, there are plenty of sites where you can download full size images and print them to see if youll notice the difference

Also video is handy as it means not having to carry both and the videos are small enough for emailing. The A60 has movie mode so youll get that anyway!!!

Look here to really compare nuts and bolts http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/BeBit-e.html

3. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I will just be using it for general snaps nothing too important and the largest i'd print out would be the occasional A4 picture. Most of my pictures would be fitting 2 onto A4 photo paper.

I just want decent quality but definately don't want any pixelising to be visible on my pictures.

Nice site with plenty information, thanks.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can email a picture from a Fuji S304 if you want... give you a idea of how good a high rez. picture is.

5. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the offer but i already have several pictures downloaded. I think i'll go for the A60 unless someone can talk me in to spending the extra on the A70.

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For A4 IMHO you can tell its digital. When I bought my camera I asked to see examples of photolab pics using digicams. They had a folder of real examples organised by MP. It was a bit of a fudge test as they hadnt kept notes of what camera took pic and none of the pics had same subject. But I thoought that you could tell the 2MP A4 was digital but only by looking close, in a pcture frame you wouldn't notice from a distance.

Another thing you may want to consider is that more pixels mean that when you take a shot thats badly composed, when you crop it you still end up with a detailed image. Not £66 worth of xtra feature, but its still worth noting.

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    You will find that you crop pictures a lot when using digital, as it’s so easy to do; it becomes a natural part of the digital photo process. I would vote to go 3m pixels if the money can stretch.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Higher pixel count=bigger memory cards req.

Personally I would wait for them hard disc microdrives.. my brothers 128mb cards, plus the 8 & 16MB are just a waste of time. They fill up quite easily over the weekend, as each pic is 900K.. if microdrives in the 1gb region could be fitted that'll be alot better for weekend trips as you won't need to replace the cards all the time.

9. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    More pics on a card means more loss when the card breaks. Lots of smaller cards is best!!!!

Also microdrives have moving parts which means easier to damage!!!!

I get 70 pics 4Mp images on a 128 and I have three of them, plenty for a long weekend!!!!!

10. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I'd avoid microdrives if at all possible - they're nice and fast but more prone to failure than normal cards. And if you drop them they're quite often knackered.

I take 2x 256mb flash cards wherever I take my camera - enough for 520 pics with my little 2mp Nikon.

11. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's down to maths really:

3mp will let you produce:
    10x8 at around 200dpi
    8x6 at around 250dpi
    7X5 at around 300dpi

Drop to 2mp and you get:
    10x8 at around 160dpi
    8x6 at around 200dpi
    7X5 at around 230dpi
    6x4 at around 267dpi

300dpi is the magic (publishing standard) figure, 250dpi is pretty damn good and 200 is acceptable - once you go below this then you should see quality dropping off.

So, if you want to print 6x4, 7x5 and the ocassional 8x6 then you can get away with 2mp. If, however, want to regularly print 8x6 and/or want to go bigger than this then I'd go for 3mp.

In fact, think of it this way - 3mp will allow you to print 7x5 at publishing quality, 8x6 at a little below this (but you probably wouldn't notice the difference), and 10X8 at an acceptable quality.

Matt.

12. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4