differeance between WDTV Live and the WDTV Live Streaming?

mark2410

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, whats the difference between the old WDTV Live and the new Streaming one? ive just ordered the old one by accident as i hadnt realised they were actually different (stupid i know.) Since i ordered from ebay i cant really just decide a dont want it, should i just keep it or should i look to getting Streaming one to replace it. what does the new one do that the old one doesnt?

i cant seem to find a comparison spec sheet for the two anywhere.

From what I gather the old model does not have wireless capabilities, so you will need to connect it to your router via an Ethernet cable to use online services.

The newer model can connect wirelessly to your router, so you are not limited to where it is placed.

if thats all then i can live with that, there are cables running there anyway

I'm sure there are video reviews of both on cnet if you want clarification.

if thats all then i can live with that, there are cables running there anyway

Sadly, WiFi is not the only difference. The old model does not support Netflix as it is missing the DRM chip required. If you were planning on using Netflix the old one won't do this.

Sadly, WiFi is not the only difference. The old model does not support Netflix as it is missing the DRM chip required. If you were planning on using Netflix the old one won't do this.

Crap! thats primarily what i wanted it for.

How much did you pay for it? If it's purely for Netflix why not get a second hand 360 or PS3? Cheap as chips, gaming and other streaming services like Lovefilm, BBC iPlayet, 4OD..........and gaming of course.

too much, £55. i didnt realise the old and new one were both called the WDTV Live.

would have killed WD to call it the Live 2, i hate companies giveng stupid names to products so it isnt obvious which one it is. grrrr this has been crap week and this isnt helping

If you are happy doing a simple software flash, b-Rads, then apart from the apps, its still a good device. You could sell it on, as the SMP is now £66.00 at various places, and has a much better interface when installed with custom themes.

PS I agree with you on the the naming, it was daft just to add the SMP, even though the older model is very different looking, with a different remote, its still confusing when deciding to buy.

im pretty sure it wont be of any use to me, netflix is a huge part of what i wanted it for. am really annoyed with myself for not realising.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom