1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diff between SD and HD Panny 6.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kbillyard, Nov 18, 2003.

1. kbillyard

kbillyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question,

Is everyone out there that owns an SD Panny 6 happy with it ? or wish they had bought the HD Version.

I am looking at the SD version but all this talk about HDTV and the fact the that SD is indeed Lo-res is this an issue at the moment ?

I am only really looking at playing DVD's and Xbox and Sky+ so do I really need Hi-res, what would I gain..

And does progressive Pal look any different to NTSC Prog as I believe the panel has to scale it down to display it as it is only native at 480p , but I could be talking rubbish here as I am not an expert ..

Any comments as I believe there are litterally 1000's of Panny 6 owners ... someone must have compared it to the HD's..

Any comments would certainly be appreciated..

Cheers people

Karl

2. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The main reason I purchased a HD version was because I will be sitting quite close to it and the pixel structure can be quite visible to some people. As a guide most people say if you are going to sit 8 feet away or greater than you will probably not see any difference between the 2 models.
    Many people on the US forum have stated that SD material looks better on the low-res screen, that may be true with US SD (which is worse than in the UK), but I really like the picture I see with SD.

I suspect that not many people will have compared the 2 panasonics side by side as there are very few shops that supply the HD version as it is not a 'consumer' model according to Panasonic UK. That said, you should get the same service with a HD version as SD.
    Regarding HDTV, I like to be futureproofed, but as some people have said, by the time the UK gets widespread HDTV it'll be time to change the TV again (and probably retire from work !).

Why is it that Pioneers standard UK plasma is high-res ?

Steve

3. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve36,

Forget distant Euro HD transmissions, in the near future (possibly 2-3 years), your 42" XGA will look fab with an imported Blu-Ray player (or whatever) running 720p! It's definately a factor for me (can't accomodate a 50")

AV-Sales or TMF? (Joe get that web-site updated!)

Regards,

JP.:smashin:

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    kaspj,
    I went to AV-Sales due to the fact that they were slightly closer at 150 miles away !
    The service was excellent, sorting out a couple of small problems very quickly.

I too am waiting for Blu-Ray, that said I find ordinary DVD very good.
    I'm still thinking about how to pay this months credit card bill !
    Oh well it's only once every few years.
    The only criticism I would say is occasionally on older american shows it can look at little painful, but I even find VHS to be reasonably good on it, maybe I'm getting old and less picky.

Steve.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    kbillyard

The SD and HD 6 Series Panasonic displays are both excellent - having used a Pioneer 1024x768 for a long time now and hoping to have a Euro1080 set top very early next year (Jan04) to have a look at what's coming to us on HD I'd certainly be tempted to go for the HD unit.

That said the SD does a very good job at downscaling HD signals so you wont feel like chucking the display away if you were to suddenly go all HD.

Best regards

Joe

kaspj - yes the web site has got to be sorted soon!!!

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    kbillyard

The SD and HD 6 Series Panasonic displays are both excellent - having used a Pioneer 1024x768 for a long time now and hoping to have a Euro1080 set top very early next year (Jan04) to have a look at what's coming to us on HD I'd certainly be tempted to go for the HD unit.

That said the SD does a very good job at downscaling HD signals so you wont feel like chucking the display away if you were to suddenly go all HD.

Best regards

Joe

kaspj - yes the web site has got to be sorted soon!!!

7. goliath23

goliath23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning to get a new Panasonic 6 series plasma to replace my 3 series plasma this year.

Can anyone tell me whether the HD unit has fan(s) or not? The brochures I've got say only that the SD model has no fans at all, but it says nothing about the HD model.

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  9. goliath23

goliath23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link, Jasonjo.

Quote from the manual's troubleshooting chapter:

Q: Whirring sounds can be heard from the display unit.

A: The display unit is fitted with a cooling fan to dissipate heat generated during normal use. The whirring sound is caused by rotation of the fan and is not a malfunction.

Can any of you Panasonic 6 HD owners out there tell me whether that fan sound is audible or not and how often the fan(s) turn on during operation of the panel?

10. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    goliath23
    From my experience the fans are on constantly.
    They are audible, but during normal use, (in a normal temp room), with a low volume source I do not notice them.
    With the volume off I find it irritating, but who runs the plasma with the volume off ?

Also I have compared several other plasmas and found transformer buzz on many that was much louder, the hitachi being the worst for this.
    Even the Pioneer buzzes, but quieter than most.

Steve.

11. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having tested both SD and HD with a Denon 2900 dvd in progressive output the main difference is:

SD -> switch it on... WOW!

HD -> switch it on...W:) :) :) :) :)W

besides if you intend to connect it to a PC the HD version is a must...(LOL having played Counter-Strike on it :))