1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Die Hard Trilogy Question

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by rnjones, Mar 16, 2002.

1. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Seriously considering buying all three Die hard films. However this seems to be a confusing thing. Or maybe I am just thick.

Play have R1 6 disc box set with all three films for £43.99 all discs DTS.

Play also have R2 4 disc set (DH1 and DH2) both DTS but DH3 is seperate and does not have DTS.

EZYDVD have 4 disc set and 6 disc set comming out in April. Price will be about £38 for 6 discs. But again DH3 has not DTS.

Do you think this is complicated or what?

Anyway it seems the R1 6 disc set is the one to go for. Anyone seen it cheaper from a good vendor?

Rog

2. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Got my Reg1 from future Entertainment for 39.99.
    Dave.

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Region 1 most recommended, as Dave says, from Future Ent.

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    DVD Boxoffice: £38.30

Arrived last week.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The reason it was not released as a trilogy box set in this country is because Fox do not own the rights to the third film in Europe - they only have the first two.

6. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The region 1 6 disc set also has much much nicer packaging

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Normally buy R1 as a rule, but bought DH1 and DH2 box set (4 discs) from asda (impulse buy) £34.99.

Did have second thoughts after buying them, but once i had watched them had no regrets, haven't watched all the extras yet.

Both DTS, uncut and superb picture quality.

WH Smith are doing it for £24.99. (see special offers forum)

8. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Surely the Die Hard series of films are good instances of where NOT to buy R2 versions !.

R1 - they are UNCUT !, and containe a superior sound track DTS

Why would anyone but the R2 versions of these films ? oops unless your player cant play R1's.

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    andypandy,
    R2 are uncut, i didn't notice any cuts and they have DTS.......

10. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decisions decisions. Hm what about customs and things over £18? DVDBox office seems to be the cheapest.

Nearly gone and bought them.
    Rog

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too asked about the difference, only when i had gone and bought the R2 version, to me there was nothing there to split the two apart, as i said R2 are uncut and have DTS soundtrack.
    Had heard any slight difference was in the extras but i couldn't find anything there either.

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

The main reasons I'd buy the R1 versions over the UK R2 releases, are simple:

1) THe US version will all be in identical packaging, and will look nice on your shelf.
    2) It shouldn't cost you more than about £45 now, for the R1 set, if you hunt around.
    3) The UK editions will mean shelling out more than that amount, more than likely, and the sets will be in different shaped boxes and packaging! Yeuch! And "Die Hard With A Vengeance" still isn't uncut - regardless of what anyone says!

There are still seconds here-and-there removed from the film, particularly during the scene when Bruce Willis kills some of the terrorists in the bank lift, whilst heading down to the vault, and when he and Samuel L Jackson try to scale down the metal tow-cable from the road and onto the boat, near the end of the film. The boat crew member who is severed in two, when the cable snaps, still has frames missing, to hide excess bloodshed, and to remove some of the rather sadistic edge to the scene when the two remove the severed body out of sight!

At least, that's what I believe to be correct!

Pooch

13. CWB

CWB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch is right.

The UK R2 version of DH3 has had 11 seconds lopped out.

Take a look at Rewind at www.dvdcompare.org.uk.

14. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right. Pooch has convinced me. Even if I get the R2 box set from from WHSmith web site (£24.99 +£2.44 p&p) then add on the R1 DH3 from somewhere like Play £15.99 saving is not a lot.

Right I am going to do it.
    Rog

15. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well 11 seconds, I suppose that commission has to justify their work and salaries.

God forbid they actually leave the film in the same state as the American poplulation see it - after all we are better than them........by the way that was a cynical comment !!!!!!!!

16. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Censorship: An act whereby a person or persons decides that others should not see or know as much as they do.

Although in fairness the the BBFC They have moved the boundaries back a lot over the last few years, often to the anger of the the current new 'conservative' government that would prefer the BBFC to impose stricter controls than were in place under thatcher....

Go figure.

17. CWB

CWB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is another factor at play here.

In fact the BBFC website days that 12 seconds were cut, not 11, and crucially it uses the phrase "to obtain this category..."

DH3 is rated 15 in the UK, R in the USA. The other Die Hards are rated 18 in the UK and R is the USA.

It sounds as though the distributors wanted to get a 15 certificate and were willing to cut the film to achieve that.

So, obviously, they weren't prepared to compromise their artistic integrity for commercial purposes, were they? ;-)

So, there you are - blame the distributors of DH3 in the UK!!

PS I bought the R1 set from either Play or Future Entertainment for £39.99 (can't remember which now) in January and no extra duty/VAT was charged.

18. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on that, don't have a copy of DH3 on DVD.

But in reference to that i thought that the R2 2disc SP/ED of DH3 wasn't out untill 25th march., is this right? if so shouldn't this be the version to be compaired with, maybe uncut like the R2 versions of DH1 & DH2....

I buy R1 as a rule, main reason early release dates, but now and then do buy R2, packaging does not have any influence on me when buying DVD's from different regions, i want to watch the film, not look at the packaging it's in sitting on a shelf ;) only dislike i have is the cardboard snappers, as these can get dog eared rather quickly, but again will not stop me from purchasing the DVD.
    This goes for extras aswell, not really bothered about them, though i will watch them if they are included.

Comparisons will always be made between the different regions, but i think the gap is closing.
    R2 will never be able to fully close the gap on certain regions, the main factor being the release dates, but as for extras, soundtracks and some films coming through uncut i.e DH1 and DH2, i think those with R2 only players are getting a better deal than they were 12/18 months ago.

Then there the price, order on line and 9/10 will get it for the same price as R1.

Oh....nearly forgot, picture quality....................Pal or NSTC?

But you know the answer to that already.......:D

19. CWB

CWB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The forthcoming R2 SE of DH3 is unlikely to be uncut. The last DH3 video (or DVD) version to be rated was in 1996.

No recent new versions - and they are a bit late to get one rated and issued by 25th March.

20. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

AndyP's comments about censorship differences between the UK and US, raises some interesting issues here.

Whilst it is quite fair to say that in the UK, we have had a very tough time with a lot of films (since the inception of the 1984 Video Recording Act), things are a lot better now than they were.

An example being the controversial French drama "Baise Moi", which is due out in the UK in May 2002. The title actually translates from the French slang for "Rape Me"!

Now, for those who don't know, this film is essentially a rape/revenge movie, but with female protagonists. The things is, that the film was heavily condemned in France, and even some cinemas and cinema chains refused to advertise it, or play the film. In France, that's pretty rare, bearing in mind that most 15 and 18 certificate films here in the UK, tend to be classified less restrictively over there. (An example: "Last House On The Left" is still banned in the UK, though it is currently awaiting a possible cinema release. Yet, in France, it was given a "16" certificate!)

In the US, the film was released, but a lot of material was cut from "Baise Moi". Having said that, the uncut edition only runs to apprximately 78 minutes anyway, so heavy cuts would have made the film very, very short, and also probably incomprehensible. At the moment, a DVD and video release has not yet been approved of, due to legal issues with the original French producers!

Over here though, the BBFC have given the movie an "18", but have only asked for one seconds worth of cuts - to a scene of forced sexual penetration. So, in some sense, we are luckier than some countries, in that we will at least be able to see the movie, 99% intact.

On the opposite side, let's examine what it might be like if we lived in the USA. Now in the USA, most people know that a film can be released to cinemas, home video and DVD uncut, but without a certificate of any kind. Hence, a lot of "banned" material is easily available in high street stores and online, as "unrated". However, the downside is that some material gets released, which I personally don't think would be appropriate to be on view to every member of the public, where anyone can see the item. Let me give you an example here, to illustrate what I mean:

In the USA, it is possible to buy films on DVD like "Nekromantik 2" and "Faces Of Death", in a fair amount of US DVD stores, if you look in the horror genre sections. Anyone can look at the covers on these titles, and read what the films are about. Those who don't know already, "Nekromantik 2" deals with a man who has an interest in necrophilia. "FOD" deals with material about death. The title includes a lot of material of animals being slaughtered, which is very distressing to watch. Admittedly some of the footage is blatantly fake, but it's still a rather reprehensible movie nonetheless. (That's my personal opinion only!)

How many of you would be happy to allow stores like Virgin, MVC or HMV stock these titles, here in the UK? Before you answer, remember that the cases would be on open display, and anyone of any age could deliberately or accidentally see and read the contents of these films. Would you be okay with that?

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't. I'm all for freedom of choice for adults. I'm also against censorship for adults. However, I wouldn't be happy knowing that children could stumble on these two titles in their local video store, and be distressed or offended by them. Ditto, with parents who may then be put in a situation when a child asks them "What is that man doing to that women?" on the cover of "Nekromantik 2". (The female corpse is actually being dismembered by a man with a large hacksaw!)

Now, at least online, to order most DVD's, you need a credit card. As such, that means whilst children could access DVD Importation sites, they are unlikely to be able to actually purchase the material themselves! So, for the most part, those who don't want to access material like that I have previously mentioned, don't have to worry about stumbling upon it, or their children doing so, either.

In Japan, they have similar censorship (or lack thereof) to the US. As such, many, many DVD titles dealing with really distressing and explicitly degrading material, is openly available, even if it isn't purchasable. (Titles like "Mermaid In A Manhole", "Evil Dead Trap", the "Guinea Pig" series, and the "Rapeman" series, are just some of the more brutal and sickly titles available.)

Would you folks, here in the UK, prefer to stay as we are, right now - whereby those who want certain films can still get them, as long as they know how and where - or would you prefer to be like the US and Japan, where everyone can see (but not necessarily purchase) any title they want? Alternatively, would you prefer something else altogether?!

I look forward to reading your opinions.

Pooch

21. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would strongly advise the purchase of the R1 version of the Die Hard trilogy.

1.) It's cheaper.
    2.) It's uncut.
    3.) It's better packaged (double amray case)

The latter is quite important to some members.

22. PinkPanther

PinkPanther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick reply.
    "Baise moi" in French does not mean "Rape me" but "F*** me", there's nothing slang about it.

23. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Pink Panther,

I appreciate the correction you've given, and apologise for my incorrect translation. I was using some newspaper articles as my reference materials. :)

Cheers,

Pooch

24. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adverts for this film have been withdrawn from Londons tube network, for fear of offending French tourists.

25. PinkPanther

PinkPanther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch,

No problem, glad to be of some use now and again.:)
    I guess this proves once again you can't believe everything you read in the newspapers. Don't worry, happens here in Belgium also all of the time.:rolleyes:

26. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Crazy.

Did they think that people that could speak French already living / working in London wouldnt be offended, or just not as offended?

:rolleyes: