• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Die Hard Quadrilogy £10..

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Same at HMV As well i think HMV is the 4 disc version tho, without the extra bonus disc

DrGekko

Prominent Member
If anyone owns the 5 disc version, could someone please shed some light as to whether the extras on there are really interesting or not? As the addition of this single disc seems to add £15 or so to the RRP.

IAN P

Distinguished Member
If anyone owns the 5 disc version, could someone please shed some light as to whether the extras on there are really interesting or not? As the addition of this single disc seems to add £15 or so to the RRP.

Don't own the 5 discer, but here is what's on it. Borrowed from Bluray forum. About 90 minutes worth give or take a bit. :)

Origins - Reinventing the Action Genre (HD, 19:35): Producer Joel Silver and screenwriter Jeb Stuart explain the first film's origins— including the possibility that Frank Sinatra might've starred at one point—while director John McTiernan talks about trying to steer the story away from terrorism and toward robbery. This discussion moves progressively through the sequels, with input from various cast and crew members, including director Renny Harlin. There's nothing new to learn here, really, but it's a decent retrospective overview of the series.

John McClane - Modern Day Hero (HD, 16:29): Many of same interviewees above—plus Kevin Smith and Alan Rickman—talk about the character of John McClane and how perfectly Bruce Willis embodies him, particularly his sarcasm and everyman-ness. The "yippee-ki-yay" one-liner gets its due, as does the universality of such a vulnerable action-hero character. Wish Brucie could've popped in for a few words, but dude's busy, I get that.

Villains - Bad to the Bone (HD, 20:41): This is where it gets good. I mean, I like John McClane, but the baddies in the Die Hard films are always just as memorable, from Alan Rickman's Hans Gruber—"He created the Euro-trash villain," says Kevin Smith—and William Sadler's Colonel Stuart, to Jeremy Irons' Simon and Timothy Olyphant's cyber-terrorist Thomas Gabriel. All but Olyphant make an appearance here to talk about their characters and the experience of making the films.

Sidekicks - Along for the Ride (HD, 19:09): Likewise, the sidekicks and supporting players of the series get their own appreciation/overview, with appearances by Reginald Veljohnson, De'Voreaux White, Hart Bochner, Kevin Smith, and Justin Long. Sadly, Samuel L. Jackson doesn't show up to talk about the third film.

Fight Sequences - Punishing Blows (HD, 7:29): John McClane—unlike a lot of action heroes—can be hurt, which gives his fight sequences a real sense of danger. Stunt coordinators Charles Picerni (Die Hard, Die Hard 2) and Brad Martin (Live Free or Die Hard), among others, discuss some of the series' most famous mano-a-mano showdowns.

Action - Explosive Effects (HD, 14:37): A breakdown of how some of the explosion/stunt/action/miniature sequences were shot, including Hans Gruber's famous fall, the ejector seat in the second film, the tunnel flood in Vengeance, and the flipping cars in Live Free or Die Hard.

The Legacy - The Right Hero for the Time (HD, 8:55): A summing up of sorts, where the various interview subjects reflect on their experiences and the impact of the series on American action films.

Die Hard Trailers (HD, 8:40)

Last edited:

aprout

Distinguished Member
'Decoding Die Hard' is a very good doc & well worth watching if you're a fan of the series, but the absence of Bruce is bizarre & a bit jarring given how many other people they manage to interview (& he wouldn't have a career without Die Hard).

As reported elsewhere, the newer 5-disc boxset is £10 in Sainsburys at the moment.

DrGekko

Prominent Member
As reported elsewhere, the newer 5-disc boxset is £10 in Sainsburys at the moment.

Went to Sainsbury's today and it's the 4 disc version for a tenner. :(

imnotrich

Prominent Member
DrGekko said:
Went to Sainsbury's today and it's the 4 disc version for a tenner. :(

And also the 5 discer if you are lucky, I was!! I didn't even go into Sainsburys for it specifically, nearly even left it but thought better of it!

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
I'm tempted to get this, but as I've got the Die Hard Ultimate Collection DVD(R1) am unsure if its worth the upgrade to Blu or not.
I got the R1 set after I originally got stung by the cut to shreds WAV R2 DVD.

Steve McQueef

Distinguished Member
I'm tempted to get this, but as I've got the Die Hard Ultimate Collection DVD(R1) am unsure if its worth the upgrade to Blu or not.
I got the R1 set after I originally got stung by the cut to shreds WAV R2 DVD.
Throw that rubbish in the bin and part with a tenner.

Those DVDs are crap in comparison, especially DHWAV.

Last edited:

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
rebel_scum said:
Throw that rubbish in the bin and part with a tenner.

Those DVDs are crap in comparison, especially DHWAV.

Calling it rubbish is a bit harsh. I won't be throwing it away as my 15 year old daughters would like it along with 4.0(harder version).
Anyhow I saw the 4 disc set in both Sainsbury's(£10) & HMV(£9.99), 5 disc set was £24.99.
Just about to join the queue in HMV and remembered I had some nectar points, so had a look at my nectar app and went back to Sainsbury's and happily handed over £5 :smashin:

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Seeing as I got the 4 disc Bluray boxset for £10.00, I cheated and bought the brand new 2 disc SD DVD from Asda for £5.00 and merged the extra disc with a dual case.

So it's a workaround I'm ok with.:)

nheather

Distinguished Member
Not had any problem products from Zavvi.

But they are very slow.

I also think they say an item is despatched when it isn't. It almost seems like they batch orders and sent them out once or twice per week.

It is easy to blame Channel Islands but other CI companies (play as it was, tesco, sainsbury, hmv) seem to be a lot quicker.

Cheers,

Nigel

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I have never waited more than 5 days. When I ordered two titles on a Sunday night, the dispatch emails came Monday morning and Monday evening with 2 to 5 day delivery. I got the first on the following Wednesday and the other on the following Saturday so exactly 2 and 5 days.

DragonBlaze67

Distinguished Member
I recently bought the tintin blu ray on play.com through zavvioutlet, it was quite quick to arrive but it arrived damaged as the case was all cracked so it must be thrown about a lot on their end

Dave H

Prominent Member
Picked it up at Sainsburys with my shopping.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom