Die Hard 3 is the best one

mcmullanbrush

Ex Member
Reaction score
I watched Die Hard 3 last night and I have to say it is the best of the trilogy by far.

1: It has Bruce Willis AFTER he stopped taking himself too seriously as an actor.

2: It has Samuel L Jackson

3: It has a very clever heist story

4: It has a much better buddy chemistry between Jackson and Willis.

Case proved I think;)

I liked the second one the best, I cannot think why, just I enjoyed it. Usually the least liked by most.
Must say Die Hard 3 was a bit of a break from the Die Hard formula.

I love the Die hard trilogy and have both releases of the region 2 discs.
(I just cant bare the thought of cash converters ripping me off I would rather starve then lose money on a DVD!)
Back to the point:
Its a rare example with trilogys when the films just get better and better. Yes Alan Rickman plays a fantastic bad guy in the first movie. But so does Jeremy Irons in the third one. The second movie lacks a realy good bad guy but for some reason still rates highly as one of my favourite films.
remember "Just the FAX Mam!"

I bought the trilogy box set (R1 of course) and sold DH2 to a fellow HCCO forum member.

I'd rate 1 & 3 as equally good, DH2 does absolutely nothing for me.

Originally posted by Confucius
I bought the trilogy box set (R1 of course) and sold DH2 to a fellow HCCO forum member.

I'd rate 1 & 3 as equally good, DH2 does absolutely nothing for me.

I agree, I saw DH2 at the cinema and thought it very disappointing.

I know I will never watch DH2 but I couldnt break up the box set.

I think Die Hard 3 is the worst of the bunch because it's out in the open no confined spaces like 1 and 2... and Jeremy Irons was by FAR the worst bad guy... could he have been any more camp... "Simon says I vear a natty black vest and speak in und comedy german accent!". It's just silly and the ending feels like its been tacked on after a test screening or something.

I will be buying the R2 die hard 1 and 2 special edition box set. despite the tacky flame-look packaging.

James

Although I disagree with your opinions of the film, you are completely correct about the tacked on ending to DH3.

I think it is the films only weak part, it seems to throw the pacing of the film out of kilter.

The DVD has the original ending as an extra, which I much prefer.

ah interesting... wouldn't mind watching the original ending.

Die Hard 2 has come in for a lot of stick... which I think is down to poor direction. Not sure who directed it but it was by far the weakest direction in the trilogy.

To my mind the first Die Hard film is nigh on the perfect 'adult' action film, an absolute classic. I look forward to seeing it on DVD rather than my worn-out, washed out, years old VHS copy.

Originally posted by James45
Die Hard 2 has come in for a lot of stick... which I think is down to poor direction. Not sure who directed it but it was by far the weakest direction in the trilogy.

It was Renny Harlin, the guy who was also responsible for Deep Blue Sea, Cliffhanger, Cut Throat Island, Nightmare on Elm Street 4 and The Long Kiss Goodnight.

All of them stinkers in my opinion, I cant understand why studios keep trusting him with their money:confused:

Die Hard 3 got the best explosion. It really rattled my windows

Originally posted by mcmullanbrush

It was Renny Harlin, the guy who was also responsible for Deep Blue Sea, Cliffhanger, Cut Throat Island, Nightmare on Elm Street 4 and The Long Kiss Goodnight.

All of them stinkers in my opinion, I cant understand why studios keep trusting him with their money:confused:

Knew it had something to do with geena davis

he put poor old coroloco out of business with cutthroat island

Originally posted by stranger
nothing wrong with cliffhanger imo especially R1.

Region 2 is better as it's 4% shorter than R1

Originally posted by stranger
nothing wrong with cliffhanger imo especially R1.
Neither it or Die Hard 2 are Oscar stuff but both good for watching with mates and a few bottles of beer.
One thing about Cliffhanger why the heck was Sly going round, and up and down snow and ice covered mountains with nothing in the line of mountaineering clothing?

My Favourite bit in Cliffhanger was the plane transfer stunt, which cost over $1 million and at the time was the single most expensive stunt. Class in a glass

The worst thing about Cliffhanger was Dirty Dan from Eastenders! Made Stallione look like a serious actor

John Lithgow was on top camp form in Cliffhanger and could've made a great Die Hard 2 bad guy. He had all the best lines:

"Kill one person - you're a murderer. Kill a million - you're a conqueror. Go figure"

"You want to kill me don't you Tucker? Well take a number and get in line!"

Quality!

Originally posted by Steve T
John Lithgow was on top camp form in Cliffhanger and could've made a great Die Hard 2 bad guy. He had all the best lines:

"Kill one person - you're a murderer. Kill a million - you're a conqueror. Go figure"

"You want to kill me don't you Tucker? Well take a number and get in line!"

Quality!
Didn’t he do it with an English accent?

I believe it was an approximation of an English accent...

...Cliffhanger was also apparently highlight of Dirty Dan's film career - he used it as a platform to jump into dodgy "straight to video" action thrillers which no-one ever watched - thankfully.

I think all posh yanks speak like that ie as close to english as they can get.

Originally posted by Drunken Master
My Favourite bit in Cliffhanger was the plane transfer stunt, which cost over $1 million and at the time was the single most expensive stunt. Class in a glass
stallone paid for that stunt personally so that it could be done realisticaly otherwise it would have been cut/altered to stay within budget.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom