1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dido ( no angel) wont play on my sony 715 dvd player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by grahamricho, Jul 9, 2002.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    why won,t the above cd play on my dvd player it works on my other cd player but not on my sony 715 dvd, iv,e changed it at hmv for an another copy of the cd,but it won,t play !

2. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Graham

There has already been a thread about this. see the earlier thread.

Not sure if this helps - looks like there is either a fault in some Sony DVD players, or (more likely) some versions of the DVD are copy protected...

Super7

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It is not a red book CD - it is a pretend CD

4. Tompo

Tompo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 715 since it was first released in the UK in 1998. My player has no problems playing the album mentioned. However, my player had the Firmware update, from what I remeber I think an actual chip needed relpacing on the circuit board, in 1999 (it was a while ago!) which was authorised by Sony. There was a known problem with certain 1st generation models not playing CD Xtra discs. The firmware fixed this along with the problem of the DNR function incrementing by 1 every time the power was cycled on the player. This was widely publicised at the time on Watchdog. I think it was a George Michael CD that highlighted it at the time.

Hope this helps.

5. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    From memory, the CDG bug with the Sony 715 causes a complete player lockup requiring cycling the power at the mains to regain access, so I doubt this is the problem.

Incidently the early Sony firmware used to cause horrible video stuttering problems with certain DVDs, so if you don't have your player upgraded it would be well worth your while doing so, I got my upgrade as part of a multiregion upgrade to the player.

I was able to play Dido No Angel on my 715 without problems, mind you I no longer have access to this CD, the 715 was talking to my Marantz DR6000 at the time....

I have found the 715 to be a bit fussy about the quality of media it will play - i.e CDs with minor imperfections skipping, which play fine on everything else, but in this case, as it appears to affect so many copies of this CD, I suspect some new dodgy CD protection mechanism is secretly being tested. Personally I think such CDs should not be marked as being a CD as they obviously are not!