1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dido - Life For Rent

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Daneel, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Got this this morning from CD-WOW. Day of release delivery is great :)

Only listened to a couple of tracks which seem very similar to the previous album, i.e. I like them but I thing I'll get bored fairly soon.

I'm currently ripping the album to mpc (not a typo) it's working but it's only averaging 7x as oposed to the 30x it normally gets up to. Some form of copy protection would not surprise me.... I can't see the compact disc logo anywhere.

Will make some more comments on the music at the end of the day.

[Edit] Yep this definitely has copy protection, only one CD drive will read it, the other sees 2 audio tracks and the rest as data. If I'd bought this from a shop it would be going back.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just popped through the letter box as well- I'm reading in the tracks with Clone CD... seems to be working. I can see all of the tracks.

So much for copy protection!

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Clone CD? What you using that for? I just used EAC.

BTW Nathan, what you think of the new Lene Marlin album?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always make a backup copy of each CD. I don't bother with converting to MP3's.

What anti-copy protection system has Dido' album got? Seems like a normal CD to me- easy to make a direct copy of, no problems.

Haven't got Lene Marlin's new album yet.

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It definitely has copy protection from reviews/retailers and from my experience. It obviously isn't very effective but that isn't the point. My DVD drive wouldn't read it properly but the Lite-on CDRW was fine.

From Amazon

Lene's album isn't as good as the first one so far, but the last one grew on me this may well do the same. Like Dido's follow up, it's more of the same. I was hoping for a Natalie Ibruglia type 2nd album, very good but different from the first. I'm really looking forward to Natalie's 3rd album.

6. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been listening to it for a few days, like it a lot.

It's cheerier than the first album, got no duff tracks on it imo, & reminds me in places of Ray of Light.

7. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest the copy protection was a load of tosh, i had it ripped no trouble, one of my drives read it as data, the other as a music cd, then just ripped using EAC.

Dido's latest is quite good on first impression although more of the same rather than a change in direction or style. I liked it though and it was cheerier than her first. Will see how it stands up to repeat listening. The first one didn't really for me.

Lene Marlins new album is again along the lines of her first and again I like it. I personally prefer her to dido, i think her voice is beautiful. I still listen to her first one a lot, and think it will be the same with this one. I've listened to it quite a bit more than Dido's and i've had them both since the release date.

Anyway, that was my ramble. In summary, both good, and if you liked their first albums you'll like these.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Would have been much more interesting if her album were called "A*se for Rent"