Did your Hiper Type R 580W become a Popping PSU?

meizumintyboi

Established Member
Reaction score
when it did pop was it clean? (not too dusty)

just curious, i have owned Type R modular 580W for the past year or or so no probs. just wondering if i cleaned it freq. it wouldn't happen to me lol (i say this v hopefully & desperately)

Had mine for about a year with no problems. Always been stable and reliable touch wood. :)
Whats the pop problem? Are they known for popping an internal fuse or something?

Are they known for popping an internal fuse or something?

There's been a influx of hiper r 580W psu's blowing up, and possibly taking some of the other components with it.

There's been a influx of hiper r 580W psu's blowing up, and possibly taking some of the other components with it.
Not just the 580 version either. There is an issue with dust filtering into the PSU to a much greater extent than others due to it's design. Apparently.

Bought mine last April and is running fine. Its on about 5-6 hours a day also has been around alot of dust over the year and half when doing work around the house.

Hope that helps.

I recall when these first appeared on the scene, every spec enquiry was psu=hyper type r, then pop, was the same when tagans first arrived, then they developed the tick tick of ticking tagan. I bought one about 12 months ago, after they apparently fixed them. My kit is never off, it ran no problems and is still running a rig further down the line

i gave it to my bro sept07 for his backup pc, he doesn't really look after his pc that well, it's very very dusty, still works a treat

i replaced it with a kingwin 520w mach 1 modular led, works a treat since sept07 it's been on 24/7

ive just brought a hiper 580watt psu (not the type r, just the standard) the case for the psu is made up of vents (only one solid side i beleive) but its been running my pc for a week or so now flawlessly. i dont let dust build up that much i tend to clean my pc out once every couple of months or so (havent got any dust filters) but in my new pc i am thinking about getting dust filters. i origionaly had an xpro 470watt psu that gave up the ghost so i got a cheapo winpower 750watt psu which quit on me after a couple of months so i decided to get my hiper 580 and i have not had a single problem with it. ive calculated my total system load (at every component at 100% aswell as 25% cap aging) and it comes to about 530watts so this hiper should be fine for a year or so provided it doesnt "pop" but when i was reading reviews of this psu i didnt come accross anyone saying about them failing infact i never recall seeing a single bad review about them. and to my understanding the type r's are exactly the same as the standard but without the flashy fan and modular bits (in other words all the internals are exactly the same)

My Hiper started making a loud clicking noise, couldn't be bothered to pay to send it to Hiper and wait weeks while they send out another.

Took the top off, then took the fan out and found that the blades were catching on the sides of the fan casing.

I was going to buy a replacement Hiper fan for £3 but fixed it myself. If the screws that hold the fan in place are too tight, it will start to click. Over time the heat causes the fan blades to warp slightly by a fraction. Tell tale signs are the silver paint coming off the blades.

Take the rear fan out, disconnect the 3 wires then attach to a separate psu that you power home gadgets with then torque the bolts one at a time until the clicking stops.

Or replace with a 80x80x15mm fan.

Apparently quite a common problem with the Hipers. The big fan was covered in dust.

Make sure you discharge the psu as the capacitors still hold a charge. I've had two shocks before and it ain't nice.

the non type R has 1x 120mm fans on the bottom (well mine has anyway) and i thought the type R's only had a single 120mm fans on also. is this problem affecting the non type r range??

Don't know. The R type has two fans, the big fan at the bottom and the extractor at the rear.

I ran a typ r 580 for about a year, passed on down the line to the family, been running x2 [email protected] for another year, so all in 2 yrs and running fine

yeah mine has been running over 3 and a half years still fine

CP-PC reviews will not say anything about the PSU failing, this problem only occurs after a long period of usage.

yeah i know normal reviews wont show that but i was also reading consumer reviews to see how they fair up after a period of time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom