Did you vote out of the EU? Are you doubting your decision?

Guywusere1605

Novice Member
Voted Leave, but was surprised to wake up the next day to find out Leave had won.

Heard many convincing arguments since from Remain, but would still vote out tomorrow.
I can't say I like their stereotypical view of us as low intelligence, knuckle dragging pensionable racists, but bitterness does that to people, I guess.

Not feeling confident about Tory plans for the Union if we ever did leave, I very much doubt a single penny of the £39B will go towards the NHS, schools, roads et al.

More likely it'll fund tax breaks for the corporations.

It's going to come down to 31/10, either we leave one way or the other, or we don't leave at all.

Much has been said about the incoming EU tax laws in effect 1/1/20, some are very desperate to be out by then.

Dark forces want us to leave the EU, dark forces want us to stay.

Who said politics was dull?

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
At this very moment plans are finalised within the EU hierachy to impose a massive percentage increase in contributions from member countries because they're in the mire.
How do I know this?
It's the EU, innit?

They are only delaying the implimentation of this because if they announced it before October 31st, a high proportion the of "remainers" would want to leave too.
Have you got a source for that? The only references I can find to an increase is in article like this;

Britain's EU contribution rises by 20 per cent in year, as UK's booming economy props up Brussels' budget

Which appear to miss out the fact that member state contributions are calculated as a percentage of their GNI. Hence, in a very basic way, if the UK 'earns' more, it will therefore pay more as it remains a percentage.

Doghouse Riley

c
Have you got a source for that? The only references I can find to an increase is in article like this;

Britain's EU contribution rises by 20 per cent in year, as UK's booming economy props up Brussels' budget

Which appear to miss out the fact that member state contributions are calculated as a percentage of their GNI. Hence, in a very basic way, if the UK 'earns' more, it will therefore pay more as it remains a percentage.
That's exactly my point!

It's why we want to get out!

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
c

That's exactly my point!

It's why we want to get out!
? I’m not sure I get your point, other than a misleading newspaper article sensationally writing that our contributions have increased, whilst not explaining simple maths with percentage-based contributions, which would also show that our GNI has increased too.

Last edited:

Dony

Distinguished Member
As an Irish resident, I don't think many voters in the UK thought about the Irish border and/or the Good Friday Agreement at the time of voting.

Having said that, I followed all the campaigning, and it was rarely spoken about.
They haven't, and it's become clear to me over recent months many still need educating on the history of the border. Those that dismiss it as nothing major do so in error. And perhaps don't understand the impact a No Deal would potentially have on dealing with the US.

Interesting second point too. At some point in this section I was arguing with someone that I didn't think it was mentioned much. They assured me it was.

Nice to get a resident Irish perspective on it. Having friends in Ireland, they have echoed the same.
Said it from day 1 the N. Ireland angle would prevent Brexit from ever being Brexit. So many intricacies that were never considered never mind discussed.

Good luck with the Compulsory Purchase Orders for all the land needed for this new proposal.

Uplift

Voted leave but pretty much stopped caring.

Sick of hearing about it, to be honest and doubt I'll ever vote again regardless of the outcome.

Doghouse Riley

? I’m not sure I get your point, other than a misleading newspaper article sensationally writing that our contributions have increased, whilst not explaining simple maths with percentage-based contributions, which would also show that our GNI has increased too.

My point wasn't anything to do with a newspaper article I didn't mention it. You did.

My opinion is based on the long known common sense fact, that if you're gonna announce bad news, it's best to pick the best time to make it.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
My point wasn't anything to do with a newspaper article I didn't mention it. You did.

My opinion is based on the long known common sense fact, that if you're gonna announce bad news, it's best to pick the best time to make it.
You responded to my post by saying, “that’s my point!”, but now say that your point has nothing to do with what I posted?

So you don’t have an actual source for your claim, just the belief that it will happen.

Squiffy

Distinguished Member
Voted leave but pretty much stopped caring.

Sick of hearing about it, to be honest and doubt I'll ever vote again regardless of the outcome.
That's really a shame to hear, but not surprising.

The legacy of all those trying to undermine the referendum is long term damage to our democracy.

Doghouse Riley

You responded to my post by saying, “that’s my point!”, but now say that your point has nothing to do with what I posted?

So you don’t have an actual source for your claim, just the belief that it will happen.
Hang on, you were asking if I had a source that would confirm that the EU are planning a massive increase in contributions, the announcement of which they are withholding until after October 31st.

Really are you that naive?

If I had, it would be common knowleledge.

I was just applying a bit of common sense.

Seems lacking amongst a lot of remainers.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Hang on, you were asking if I had a source that would confirm that the EU are planning a massive increase in contributions, the announcement of which they are withholding until after October 31st.

Really are you that naive?

If I had, it would be common knowleledge.

I was just applying a bit of common sense.

Seems lacking amongst a lot of remainers.
Ok, so now you’re accusing “remainers” of lacking common sense, because you were asked for actual evidence to support your theory that member state contributions will be hiked after the 31st October.

As it is, you’re saying that this membership increase isn’t common knowledge, except that you know, because if it was everyone would then know about it and do something. You might think I’m naive, but at least I’m trying to discuss realities rather than conspiracies.

Doghouse Riley

Ok, so now you’re accusing “remainers” of lacking common sense, because you were asked for actual evidence to support your theory that member state contributions will be hiked after the 31st October.

As it is, you’re saying that this membership increase isn’t common knowledge, except that you know, because if it was everyone would then know about it and do something. You might think I’m naive, but at least I’m trying to discuss realities rather than conspiracies.
Conspiracies?

Hmm..

The EU is one big conspiracy.

Tell me, when did the EU ever do us a favour that we didn't have to end up payng for?

Carry on "discussing," but leave me out.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Conspiracies?

Hmm..

The EU is one big conspiracy.

Tell me, when did the EU ever do us a favour that we didn't have to end up payng for?

Carry on "discussing," but leave me out.
All I've asked for is evidence of your 'common sense' view that member state contributions will be hiked after the 31st October, that's the point of a "discussion". As it is, you're just spewing your own theories, with no apparent evidence.

Also, the EU isn't a registered charity, all member states pay for the benefits. When did the UK Government ever do anything for you without you ending up paying for it through taxes?

psikey

As a near 50/50 leave voter (single issue, control freedom of movement unless pull factors addressed in EU) I'm constantly re-evaluating. The trouble for the Union and issues with Ireland and indeed Gibraltar etc. do make me wonder if its worth it rather than continue trying to change EU from within.

Can honestly say I don't know how I would vote in a 2nd referendum but I know I can never vote Corbyn into power.

Pacifico

Distinguished Member
That's really a shame to hear, but not surprising.

The legacy of all those trying to undermine the referendum is long term damage to our democracy.
If voting had the ability to change anything they wouldn't let you do it..

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Does that mean that Boris's £350 million bus claim is now correct?
Does the fact that there is no actual source of the idea from a random forum member support Boris’ choice to publish the Gross contribution across the side of the bus, because it’s a bigger number, no.

Pacifico

Distinguished Member
Does the fact that there is no actual source of the idea from a random forum member support Boris’ choice to publish the Gross contribution across the side of the bus, because it’s a bigger number, no.
I was commenting on your link - which shows that now the Boris bus claim is pretty accurate.

gamerste

Suspended

In other words you made it up.
And when asked to clarify your reasoning you took your toys out of the pram and disappeared.
You know there are Facebook and Twitter bots for that

psikey

Stuff the 2022 lottery, I want the winning numbers for tonights £169 million euromillions draw.
So Boris, if you want my vote PM me before 19.00....:smashin:
Money over principles ? I'd do same :D Let the other 30+ million have deciding votes.

Last edited:

Hampy1972

Voted leave, No regrets (too old for that nonsense) we are who we are.. leave or remain.
I am not racist, or member of any right wing looney tunes bin or against immigration.
Just want us to be independent, make our own laws, control our own borders and become an sovereign nation once more and how we used to be. The BS that came out of the EU with the threats and that we all that voted *Have a place in hell* said Tusk (who myself is knee deep in corruption scandals) before given a way out to become tog dog in the EU tells you in what you're dealing with.

I have said it before and say it again, if you're happy that a bunch of old grumpy grey goats, can dictate in how you're govern and wield their massive power and influence on a continent with puppets like Macron and Merkel in tow, good luck.

EU model will eventually fail, this is just the beginning, it was a great idea after WWII but it got too big for itself, handed power to those that could wield threats at others that wanted a different outcome. Making nations vote, vote and vote again highlights they always win in the end......

After cooking the books so Greece could join (Remember Greece market is like 50% black)
PWC were used to audit the Greek government records and highlighted this, this is not substanable in the future and loans will be reqiured to keep them afloat. Only half the tax is being paid in, something will eventually give. EU just went ahead and let them join, pressuring other nations in helping out.

This is the NWO!

IronGiant

that we all that voted *Have a place in hell* said Tusk
He was referring to those that ran the Leave campaigns without any plans on how they were going to Leave, not those who voted for it.

Hampy1972

He was referring to those that ran the Leave campaigns without any plans on how they were going to Leave, not those who voted for it.
He is just bitter :) :)
No mention of the £8 million that DC spend on leaflets and that was left out of the audit.

Hampy1972

If only our parliament members had the backbone, not in the pockets of Brussels and with self-agendas we would have already be out by now....

History will not do them any favors in the years to come.................. Yes! Philip Hammond!

Hampy1972

I would vote leave again and again and again and again and again, think of it as a invisible slap on Guy, Juncker, Tusk and Barrier face (Viewer discrestion is advised) :)

Doghouse Riley

All I've asked for is evidence of your 'common sense' view that member state contributions will be hiked after the 31st October, that's the point of a "discussion". As it is, you're just spewing your own theories, with no apparent evidence.

Also, the EU isn't a registered charity, all member states pay for the benefits. When did the UK Government ever do anything for you without you ending up paying for it through taxes?

No problems with our government spending my money, after all I voted for them. What I do object to is "unelected Johnny Foreigners" spending it. But that is obviously OK by you.

Wait until after 31st of October before you start crowing.

Last edited:

gamerste

Suspended
No problems with our government spending my money, after all I voted for them. What I do object to is "unelected Johnny Foreigners" spendibg it. But that is obviously OK by you.

Wait until after 31st of October before you start crowing.
Only unelected Jonny foreigner spending big is our current prime minister.
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

You really need to look at net contributions the discount the UK gets,the EU funds that help re energise communities with said funds.
Roads and motorways were built in this country by EU money.
Some of you are going to be in for a shock.
But as long as you have a cup of Yorkshire tea (made in er not Yorkshire nor the UK)
And a garabaldi all will be well with the world

Doghouse Riley

Only unelected Jonny foreigner spending big is our current prime minister.
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

You really need to look at net contributions the discount the UK gets,the EU funds that help re energise communities with said funds.
Roads and motorways were built in this country by EU money.
Some of you are going to be in for a shock.
But as long as you have a cup of Yorkshire tea (made in er not Yorkshire nor the UK)
And a garabaldi all will be well with the world

You swallow it all don't you?

Why is the EU so desperate for us to stay and trying to make leaving so hard?

You probably think it's only because they want to be our "best friends."

Dream on.