Did you vote out of the EU? Are you doubting your decision?

May was a disaster, her election campaign highlighted that. Out of her depth and very stuck in a loop.
SNP want a 2nd ref and are just waiting for the public to give them favour one more time. I guess the plus from the first one was Salmond never got the castle he was promised in the event of a victory.

NI and IRE will emerge, that's a no brainer really, works for both. NI will look to advance in all sectors and IRE look to expand. Wales will follow Scot in due course too.

It's just a matter of time, Krankie will get 2nd ref, Ireland will merge into one, Wales will see the daylight...
Been on the cards for sometime, Brexit was just the match that lit the pyre.

Possibly, but if Brexit is cancelled that is the end of all referendums. It would be pointless for Scotland to have a second referendum because if the result is to leave the UK it will just be ignored and overturned by the losers.

The only way I can see referendums having any validity in the future is if a minimum margin is required - for example, a vote to change the status quo must be won by at least a 10% margin.

Cheers,

Nigel

May was a disaster, her election campaign highlighted that. Out of her depth and very stuck in a loop.
SNP want a 2nd ref and are just waiting for the public to give them favour one more time. I guess the plus from the first one was Salmond never got the castle he was promised in the event of a victory.

NI and IRE will emerge, that's a no brainer really, works for both. NI will look to advance in all sectors and IRE look to expand. Wales will follow Scot in due course too.

I almost feel sorry for any N.Ire Unionists who are about to be cast adrift.
They voted for the same Leave that people in other parts of the UK voted for, their politicians supported the government in blocking everything Teresa May put forward, and now because of bumbling Boris, their voice is no longer as relevant as it was prior to him taking over.

Now they are scrambling about at the last minute trying to pull some sort of trade agreement together and their red lines are constantly having to shift.

Possibly, but if Brexit is cancelled that is the end of all referendums. It would be pointless for Scotland to have a second referendum because if the result is to leave the UK it will just be ignored and overturned by the losers.

The only way I can see referendums having any validity in the future is if a minimum margin is required - for example, a vote to change the status quo must be won by at least a 10% margin.

Cheers,

Nigel
Hey Nigel,

The trouble with refs is they are not bound by law but a mandate set by the result for the GOVT in power to follow and make law. If Brexit is cancelled then I totally agree with you but SNP will keep pushing but the common jock is not stupid, they know what he/she will be giving up.

10% margin? We could be in for numerous referendums. Two of out three? Three out of five? :D

I almost feel sorry for any N.Ire Unionists who are about to be cast adrift.
They voted for the same Leave that people in other parts of the UK voted for, their politicians supported the government in blocking everything Teresa May put forward, and now because of bumbling Boris, their voice is no longer as relevant as it was prior to him taking over.

Now they are scrambling about at the last minute trying to pull some sort of trade agreement together and their red lines are constantly having to shift.
The political landscape is ever shifting, a week is a long time in politics they say. In favor in one day, cast out the next. Unionists in one IRELAND would have a tough time indeed.

What if that cost was the break-up of the Union? Out at any cost will accelerate a United Ireland referendum. Is this something you'd be happy to see happen, just so England can get out?
I'd be absolutely delighted for the Union to break up.

Why is it in my interest to be in a union where we subsidise the rest and have less democratic say than the rest do?

Hey Nigel,

The trouble with refs is they are not bound by law but a mandate set by the result for the GOVT in power to follow and make law. If Brexit is cancelled then I totally agree with you but SNP will keep pushing but the common jock is not stupid, they know what he/she will be giving up.

10% margin? We could be in for numerous referendums. Two of out three? Three out of five? :D

I'm only suggesting the 10% margin because we keep hearing that 4% is not significant enough.

Of course those that say that would be singing a different tune if they had won by 2%. And the happily ignoring the fact that some of the parliamentary votes in the last year have been won in their favour with much smaller margins and that it is possible to 'no confidence' the Prime Minister with a margin of just 0.15%.

Cheers,

Nigel

I'm only suggesting the 10% margin because we keep hearing that 4% is not significant enough.

Of course those that say that would be singing a different tune if they had won by 2%. And the happily ignoring the fact that some of the parliamentary votes in the last year have been won in their favour with much smaller margins and that it is possible to 'no confidence' the Prime Minister with a margin of just 0.15%.

Cheers,

Nigel
That is the trouble with margins Nigel, they're so variable, we have too accept the fact that elements will remain of those that will moan moan and more moan because they can't accept the result. We have become a nation of remoaners, never thought I say that but how it is, a bit like we have too apologize for everything, even what our forefathers did decades ago just to appease some lefty liberal who has done nothing. Well I say bollocks to that! Guess I am old skool in that regard.

Someone shouted at me the other day, * Hey Hamps, Peoples vote? I shouted back *Guess aliens voted in the 1st one*

I'd be absolutely delighted for the Union to break up.

Why is it in my interest to be in a union where we subsidise the rest and have less democratic say than the rest do?

I don't understand, who has more of a democratic say within the UK?

That is the trouble with margins Nigel, they're so variable, we have too accept the fact that elements will remain of those that will moan moan and more moan because they can't accept the result. We have become a nation of remoaners, never thought I say that but how it is, a bit like we have too apologize for everything, even what our forefathers did decades ago just to appease some lefty liberal who has done nothing. Well I say bollocks to that! Guess I am old skool in that regard.

Someone shouted at me the other day, * Hey Hamps, Peoples vote? I shouted back *Guess aliens voted in the 1st one*

I think we are agreeing with each other. All I was saying is that if we find ourselves in a situation where referendum results are being overturned or rerun because the margin is so small and enough people might have changed their minds to reverse the result, then the only mitigation is to insist on such a margin that result cannot be denied.

But I agree with you about the problem of margins which is why I gave the examples where people had complained a margin that went against them was too smaller but celebrated victories with much smaller margins.

Cheers,

Nigel

I think that most younger remainers are of that opinion as they just don't want the slightest inconvenience if we leave. They've never beem "inconvenienced" in their whole lives and wouldn't be able to handle it, as did most of my generation.

What they fail to understand is that to stay would inevitably mean the same situation that the Labour government caused in the early sixties by making many grammar schools become comprehensives.
This happened to my school after I had left. Instead of a general raising of educational standards, it just dragged the more able down to a lower level. The comments of those who experienced the change at my school on the old Friends Reunited messageboard are testimomy to that fact.
Those running the EU won't be satisfied until all the better off countries are dragged down to the same lower economic level. We'll forever be picking up the tab with a consequent lowering of our standard of living.

I think we are agreeing with each other. All I was saying is that if we find ourselves in a situation where referendum results are being overturned or rerun because the margin is so small and enough people might have changed their minds to reverse the result, then the only mitigation is to insist on such a margin that result cannot be denied.

But I agree with you about the problem of margins which is why I gave the examples where people had complained a margin that went against them was too smaller but celebrated victories with much smaller margins.

Cheers,

Nigel
Someone somewhere will moan. :)
Here we go again.

...but I never thought I'd see a possible reunification of Ireland in my lifetime...
I always assumed that a United Ireland was inevitable and would occur in the next 10 to 20 years.

As I understand it the Good Friday Agreement enshrines the principle that whether NI remains part of the UK or unites with Ireland will depend upon the wishes of the majority of the population.

There are currently more Protestants than Catholics in NI. The last census in 2011 put the Protestant population at 48%, 3% more than Catholics at 45%. However, the proportion of Catholics in NI has been steadily increasing. Young Catholics outnumber Protestants by around 3:2 - of those of school age in NI, 51% are Catholic and only 37% Protestant. So there is a demographic shift toward a significant Catholic majority. Obviously, being Catholic in NI does not necessarily align with being in favor of a United Ireland but it may be a strong indicator.

If the majority of NI do vote to leave the UK then that should not be regarded as a negative event. The majority should always decide. (Except in the case of Brexit. :cool: Did I mention that I'm a remainer?)

I think that we’ve had Brexit — it’s unlikely to happen. MPs who agreed to honour the results of the referendum are realising that for the first time in a very long time, they’ll actually have to do something, rather than have the EU do it for them, and it scares them. MPs have always been a duplicitous lot, but recent events show that they cannot be trusted at all. I have no idea who’d vote for in any forthcoming election. The Conservatives have made a complete hash of things, the LibDems want to revoke Article 50, any Labour government will ruin the country and the Brexit party is a one-trick pony.

What I don’t get was why, once the vote was in, the Conservatives didn’t take a multi party approach to getting things sorted. Teresa May’s deal would have the UK become a vassal state of the EU. Looking at things overall, I’m not too fussed about NI per se. What I think aren’t up for grabs are the surrender of our fishing rights, management of immigration (both from within and without the EU) and letting the ECJ have any sway in our legal process.

Boris Johnson is an utter clown, and has no chance of getting anything done. Parliament has seen to that. The EU don’t want to negotiate. Why would they? They have us exactly where they want us.

What remainers don’t realise is that if they get their way, and by some means we end-up staying part of the EU, we as a country will be punished for having tried to leave the bloc.

The Mother of All Parliaments is a farce, just like the UK is. I’d emigrate, if I could, but I’m too old now. Oh what it is to be British in 2019 ...

Clem

I always assumed that a United Ireland was inevitable and would occur in the next 10 to 20 years.

As I understand it the Good Friday Agreement enshrines the principle that whether NI remains part of the UK or unites with Ireland will depend upon the wishes of the majority of the population.

There are currently more Protestants than Catholics in NI. The last census in 2011 put the Protestant population at 48%, 3% more than Catholics at 45%. However, the proportion of Catholics in NI has been steadily increasing. Young Catholics outnumber Protestants by around 3:2 - of those of school age in NI, 51% are Catholic and only 37% Protestant. So there is a demographic shift toward a significant Catholic majority. Obviously, being Catholic in NI does not necessarily align with being in favor of a United Ireland but it may be a strong indicator.

If the majority of NI do vote to leave the UK then that should not be regarded as a negative event. The majority should always decide. (Except in the case of Brexit. :cool: Did I mention that I'm a remainer?)

That could be beyond my lifetime (almost 50 now), but the process has been brought into today's thinking due to Brexit.
There needs to be a lot of serious dialogue with all concerned to see how a United Ireland will work for everyone on the island of Ireland. As you say, not all Catholics will vote for it, but not all Protestants will vote against it either. 56% voted here to remain, so it certainly wasn't an us v them result that you normally get in N.I politics.

Voted Leave and remain a leaver ..... oh darn it I mentioned remain grrrr!
The only way a clean Brexit will be delivered is a) If the Brexit party manage to win a majority of seats (tall order considering they have no MPs yet) or b) the local Tory party committees ALL oust their Remain voting MPs where they voted contrary to their local constituents, before the next general election (even taller order) c) the EU kick us out (even less likely as they need our money).
In the meantime I have to look for a new TV to replace the ones I've broken so far watching the likes of Anna Soubrey, Gina Miller, Misc Scottish pipsqueaks telling us we must have a deal.

I don't understand, who has more of a democratic say within the UK?
I'm glad you asked.

Let's compare with Scotland.

We get less MPs per head in England than in Scotland.

We don't have devolved powers to decide things for ourselves. So for example the SNP can block Sunday trading laws in England despite having the same laws in Scotland.

The EU is like a leech, they are difficult to remove without causing some personal injury, but once they are gone it will get better. Much preferable than having your blood sucked dry.

Similarly, Farage is like a dogsh*t you've just stepped in with brand new shoes.

Actually Farage is nothing at all until a GE is launched. Just another mouth on the media circuit. (oh and an MEP but nobody is bothered about them).

Some people it seems will like tarnishing their brand new shoes with a touch of turd!

Ruining perfectly good shoes in dog s*** so you can wash them in libtard tears is the logic behind that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom