1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you hear the 1 about the Denon amp that could'nt handle the power

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by drewsaq, Apr 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. drewsaq

drewsaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's no joke. I will not bore everyone but a Denon AVC10SE 125 watts x5. in two channel stereo conks out (TRIPS CUT OUT) Even when it's stone cold (fan does work) after playing for about 2 mins at -2 db. This is bloody loud, but there is another 20 db to go !!!!!!!. It,s like having a car capable of doing 200 mph but will only do 150 for 1 mile. After paying £1000 I would expect better.Rigged up to B&W 604s (8ohms),cables are QED and are wired correctly. This amp is only 4 months old and the other day I pushed it for the first time (if u can call x2 mins pushing it). Would'nt be a lot of good 4 a party!!! This amp is going back but just wondered if anyone has any thoughts.see ya

2. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I owned an A10SE for about a year and unfortunately for my neighbours and ears, regularly listen at these volumes and sometimes higher. I have never had any problems like this. I listen to music in stereo and 5/7 channel stereo and for quite a long period of time. My cables are also Qed and my speakers are Kef reference, rated at 4 ohms which I think are a harder load on the amp. You're right, 2 minutes is not pushing this amp and it is capable of more. Have a word with your dealer and ask if he could try a similar test with a shop model. Am I right in thinking that you have the floor standers with built in amps. If so could it be the amps in the speakers? Try the amp with some different speakers. A shot in the dark, but you never know. Anyway I hope this helps. Its a cracking amp, good luck.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have this amp and, though I don’t listen to it at those levels, I had dem'ed the model at those volumes. I would like to think that this excellent amp you have has a faulty protection circuit, or that the amp isn't getting enough ventilation. Certainly the amp is capable of what you are expecting of it.
    Just another thought: What are the speaker levels set to on the Denon's setup screen? Perhaps the front two speakers are set 6db above normal, thus effectively "pushing up" the strain on the amplifier? If all else fails, take the unit back and get it changed/fixed, after all it is a great amp.

I think the 604's were like the 603's, but with an extra bass driver. The 605's were the ones with built in subs.

Russell.

4. drewsaq

drewsaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks 4 taking the time to write back. You are right the B*W 604s are alot bigger than the 603s but also have one more drive unit ( not active). There is obviously a major problem with this amp. Off to the shop it goes!!!!!
    ps
    all db levels set at odb