Did you expect the wii to sell this well???

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by PioRow, Dec 24, 2006.

1. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    From the talk I see on thsi forum, the lack of stock in the UK shops and the articles I read about shortages in the USA and Japan it sounds like the Wii has been a absolute hit this christmas.

Did you expect it to be this big? I admit I didnt. I thought it would be popular but not like this. Why do people think ist been such a big hit? They didnt advertise that heavily pre launch, although they seem to be putting lots of ads on TV now but you cant buy one!!
    I dont even think nintendo have fullfilled every pre order that shops have taken. Basically they have a 100% sell through ratio, every bit of stock is getting sold. Thats pretty impressive.

I really didnt expect the wii to do this well so fast. Could the wii over take the 360 globally and be number 2? I always ecpected it to be a strong 3rd place but the way its selling I see it being a strong 2nd.

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I think the wii will be number one.

3. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to say it but the Wii is selling so well and is already catching up fast with the 360 Sales

I now reckon the Wii will come out on top this console war floowed very closly by the 360 and then the PS3 way behind the 360 with a crap number of units sold

4. andytabor

andytabor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    personally i think in europe and north america in the long run all 3 consoles will be pretty equal but i can really see the wii dominating in japan in a similar fashion as the ds,

5. >Jaz<

>Jaz<

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    To be honest, I really didn't expect it to be so popular.

6. SHPanda

SHPanda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The 360 from what I remember last reading has sold around 10m units in over a year, the Wii has sold almost half that in a month. The Wii looks like it could most definitely become the biggest console globally, though probably not in the UK because of the amount of people that just love realistic sequels like FIFA and NFS.

I think the PS3 will struggle with it's price tag to reach any of the benchmarks set by the PS2 but it won't be a complete flop.

7. evade

evade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Well I thought it was going to be popular, but not this popular, I wonder how many globally have been sold so far?

Also I wonder if this will cause a pick up in old Gamecube game sales, as people who where never into the cube start searching out the odd game or two, I guess ebay sales will soon tell :)

8. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I didn't doubt it at all. I was interested in the Nintendo's Wii for a long time, and have indeed typed a few posts on here - Pre and Post the E3 show - earlier in the year about it. Amongst a few other guys here.

It was the whole new approach of playing games that was the obvious marketing and selling point for me. Nintendo had already made their intentions known with the huge success of the innovative Nintendo DS. For Nintendo to launch a new home console after the disappointment of the Gamecube, they had to come up with something extrodinary to compete with the Xbox 360 and PS3. Cleverly instead of playing the numbers game and directly competing with the Sony and Microsoft consoles big boys, they took the Wii into a different direction completely and caught the publics imagination. The rest they say is history. !

Another reason for its success is the way it has been advertised and preceived. It's been well documented in the past that game consoles turns people into couch potatoes, particulary kids. So what a great advertisment for a new console to actually show kids getting off the Sofa and physically interacting with console games.. :lesson: Very important in this nanny culture style regime that we're all living in nowadays :rolleyes: :laugh:

For me though, Nintendo are the true innovators of the gaming world, I've typed this before and i make no apologise in typing it again: Sony and Microsoft need Nintendo more than Nintendo needs them. No matter how big their bank balance is.. :lesson: :smashin:

9. pigdog237

pigdog237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm hoping Capcom will re-release "resident Evil 4" - could kick myself for neglecting my Gamecube around that time. Unless someone wants to sell me copy!?!?

10. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I still think by next christmas it wil be in 3rd place.

11. Tequila316

Tequila316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can get it on the ps2 cheaply, though ps2 controls no where near as good as Gc.

12. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Initially yes I expected the console to be a hit, the real surprise though will be if in 12 months time the games coming out will still be inventive enough to continue driving sales onwards. I honestly think it will be number 1 this time around if for nothing else but cost and sheer playability. Its a simple fact that the 360 and PS3 do not have as a broader appeal has the Wii. My mum played on the wii today and this is the first time she has ever played a video game, this is all because the wii is so inviting and natural to traditional non gamers.

13. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    www.nexgenwars.com has estimated sales, it's meant to be pretty accurate.

Xbox360 is underselling slightly compared to MS goals of 10mil by the end of the year.

14. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I really think Nintendo have hit gold with the wii. Its had an amazing launch and I'm sure the big franchises and a few price cuts here and there will continue to drive sales on. Later on maybe a revised cheaper to make wii will appear without the slot loading mechanism and will sell for seriously cheap money.

I think some of the software companies have done halfhearted titles initially maybe because they had doubts about the wii's success but now with a quickly established largish userbase and people looking for more software development should ramp up.

I'd like to see a range of revised gc games. I.e. gc games that come on wii discs that make sure of the enhanced controller. These would be super cheap to develop and could sell straight away at budget prices like &#163;19.99.

I don't know how the wii will fare long term but I could certainly see it being the major format in 2007. However I think the ps3 will get some seriously impressive titles and also shares some of the wii controller benefits so I'm guessing the ps3 will start to dominate in 2008.

15. belfast-biker

belfast-biker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If you have a Wii, just go and buy it for the GC, stick it into the Wii, and grab a wavebird while you're at it.

That's my plan, anyhow.

16. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

Thats what i was thinking! unless he means it very hard to find on the GC! I remember when i got my GC copy just after release and it was hard to find then so its probably even harder to find now!