Did you bother upgrading from XP to Vista?

Did you bother upgrading from XP to Vista?

• Nope, sticking with XP

Votes: 228 50.7%
  • Yes, I upgraded

Votes: 95 21.1%
  • I don't go anywhere near a windows OS

Votes: 23 5.1%
  • Vista came pre-installed

Votes: 104 23.1%

• Total voters

namuk

Distinguished Member
Waited for Sp1 then i upgraded , Best operating system to date and had less issues with vista than all other Operating systems i have owned .. going to win7 for me can not see this being an upgrade due to it is vista based.. If DX11 comes's out for vista even lesser chance ..

Last edited:

Razor

Vista running on 5 pc's and I like it. I couldn't go back, nor have I had any issues. :)

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
I was given Vista Ultimate (friends and family pack) by a friend who works for microsoft - he has also given me a lot of other microsoft software for free (totalling a couple of grand)

otherwise i had no plans on upgrading from XP

steveo 79

Novice Member
i dont really see the point in paying to upgrad the OS on a home pc thats a few years old and will only slow it down without giving many extra benefits. I wait till i get a new comp that its designed to run on i think

steve.r

Had a play with Vista for a while. No real performance issues but got sooooo bored with having to set permissions every time I wanted to change, move or delete a file that I gave up. Yes I did turn off the UAC and spent many hours trawling the web looking for a solution but nothing seemed to give me total unrestricted access.

Also found the icons in windows explorer to be far to busy. Seemed to take much longer to find the right files and folders. And whilst on the subject of windows explorer, what’s the deal with all those useless links on the left. Can’t remember what they were now but it seemed impossible to just get a tree view of the drives on your computer and nothing else like in XP.

Minor niggles perhaps but I’m sticking with XP until Vista / Win 7 lets me use my computer the way I want and not how Microsoft thinks I should.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I had far more trouble with my last PC on Windows XP with BSOD and other crashes, compared to my recent one with Vista. In fact I don't think I have actually had the PC freeze ever with Vista where I have had to reset it. So personally I am far happier with Vista.

advid

....all I want from an operating system is to boot up as quickly as possible after switching on the PC and get to the software I really want to use (Word/Excel/Photoshop or whatever) and then use it without the PC crashing or seizing up until I switch off...

All that fancy graphics 'twirly whirly' scrolling in order to select a program is just a visual overkill....

I remember MS DoS and I wouldnt even mind a simple text/number only menu on bootup with a list of numbered programs on the opening screen - enter a number and go straight into the program....

As long as print /copy / cut / paste/move and a few other major commands work the OS is just a front for the 'real' software that I want to use....

pwood

My new HP Laptop came with Vista and for my use its faster and more stable than XP which still crashed on occasion. I dont use a lot of the features and I suspect a lot of people are the same ie I mainly use it for surfing the net, storing music and photos so upgrading does not seem that worthwhile unless the new system is significantly faster in startup and general use.

It would be great if the likes of Apple offered their OS on windows PC's to increase MS attention to detail. I gather there must be hardware issues with that approach but I do wonder if that would be Apples new IPOD if they did :D

tvbox

Distinguished Member
It came with my Dell computer 2 years ago and it is quite good apart from the very disappointing Vista Word processor called 'Microsoft Works':thumbsdow:thumbsdow:mad:
But i bought Word 2007 and it's very good and matches with the clean Vista interface.
The IE was kinda slow too, but i downloaded firefox and it's OK:clap:

Happy Vista user here. Vista 64 is the easiest way to use all 8gb of RAM. I've never understood all of the bad press about the OS, and to this day don't understand what the problem with it is supposed to be. OK, so the "Are you sure" stuff is annoying, but it takes 10 seconds to switch off.

Also agreed about Windows 7. It's funny that some people are claiming it's a big step up - I tried the beta out and wondered what the differences were supposed to be, exactly.

namuk

Distinguished Member
Happy Vista user here. Vista 64 is the easiest way to use all 8gb of RAM. I've never understood all of the bad press about the OS, and to this day don't understand what the problem with it is supposed to be. OK, so the "Are you sure" stuff is annoying, but it takes 10 seconds to switch off.

Also agreed about Windows 7. It's funny that some people are claiming it's a big step up - I tried the beta out and wondered what the differences were supposed to be, exactly.
The bad press mate was people claiming there 50p computers could not run Vista at the time :rolleyes: main reason for win7 and all this compatibility mode is for big mass sales to company's ect , even then i will be surprised on this.

Win7 is basicley vista Op tweaked with a small lower base mem usage .. but still 4GB is required on 64bit based systems .. only big one is DX11 well for me anyway but still no confirmation on vista getting this , but to sell the OP you no what they will do :rolleyes:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
The bad press mate was people claiming there 50p computers could not run Vista at the time
:rotfl:

You cheeky swine.
Not all of us like to update computers every 6 months you know :)

I agree with David, 7 offers nothing over Vista

namuk

Distinguished Member
:rotfl:

You cheeky swine.
Not all of us like to update computers every 6 months you know :)

I agree with David, 7 offers nothing over Vista
:rotfl: and you called my old sub crap ... :D payback time :)

My main motherboard , mem 4gb and cpu are for 2007 build only thing i upgraded was Graphics card + a couple of other bits , i usually like to get the gear right and hang on for a while, i still have it now but i overclocked the cpu , well i do that anyway:D

only main reason David has not gone Win7 Fully, is the Usb shaver he uses has no Win7 drivers :D

Last edited:

poppy10

Stayed with XP, used Vista on several other computers and was appalled by how slow, bloated and difficult to use it was.

Will give Windows 7 a year to stabilize before I consider upgrading to it, although I am hankering after DX10...

namuk

Distinguished Member
Stayed with XP, used Vista on several other computers and was appalled by how slow, bloated and difficult to use it was.

Will give Windows 7 a year to stabilize before I consider upgrading to it, although I am hankering after DX10...
DX12 will be out then ..