Did this man make for a decent president?

Discussion in 'Politics & The Economy' started by la gran siete, Jul 8, 2015.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  2. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I don't know, I really don't. I'm sure he was a great asset to Uruguay and a decent and honest bloke and all that, but surely it a dangerous precedent to have a hugely popular and respected leader? History is littered with examples of countries that have been led down a bad road by a popular and charismatic leader that was worshipped by the masses. I'm sure we can all think of loads of examples.
    Politicians really should be treated with contempt and disdain, extreme mistrust must always be the keyword and loathing is probably a good thing too, when dealing with them. If you "like" them and "respect" them, then there is a real danger that they will let the adulation go their heads and they will start to do things, off their own bat, that they think are right and good for the country. And when a politician does that, you can be sure that they are wrong and what they think is good and right is actually bad and disastrous for the hoi poloi. At least with mutual contempt and loathing on both sides, its easier to have checks and balances against the worst excesses of those who think they are the ruling elite.

I mean, do you care what your friends and associates are doing in their spare time? But you sure as heck keep a beady eye on those you don't trust and those you dislike. Which when applied to politicians is a vital check made easier by a desire to trip them up.

So, he may have been a great president and a diamond geezer, but we are better off with politicians we loath because that way we always keep an eye on them and their excesses.

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    after
    The big bank boondoggle* -- New Internationalist

Whilst reading this rather excellent article I noticed towards the end that Mujica's name came up and explained little bit about him.Never heard of him before but in a continent known for despots and the occasional populist leader who is more interested in his own ego and vanity than the people he represents, Mujica seemed different .
    From a leftwing guerilla fighter ,when in government he changed in as much as whilst he remained a social anarchist at heart he accepted there was no point join hounding capitalists out of the country.Instead he allowed them to continue but siphoned off some of their proceeds for the benefit of the community at large ,like a Social Democrat would . Investment rose the economy grew and Uruguayans are much better off than they were under dictatorships ever willing to push the neo liberal agenda.
    Here is a man who rejects excess for a simpler lifestyle, so much so he gave away 90% of his presidential salary to single mothers who unfortunately are still repudiated in that country.
    Often spoken about as Latin Americas version of Mandela,here is a man who chose to remain living amongst his own people and not in the presidential palace , who always speaks the common language understood by them (i.e. liberally sprinkled with slang), a man who is not bothered about portraying a particular image ,you take him as you see him whether clean shaven or not or whether he bothered to fit his dentures before appearing before tv cameras.
    On social issues he pushed a liberal agenda because he accepted that back street abortion would continue do he legalised them , consumption of marihuana could not be eradicated so he legalised that and finally he legalised gay marriages before any other nation.Whats not to like about him?
    He seems to represent the antithesis of everything people think is important in the western world in terms of attitude and image and i like that in him
    As for hating politicians I dont waste energy doing that rather i despise certain doctrines such as neo liberalism, which seems to have infested the world and show no sign of abating

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  4. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    Someone who was there for others not himself.
    Pretty good role model.

5. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,413
    :rotfl:

Finally forgotten Thatcher then?

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned: