Did MS disable Dolby Digital for headsets to make us buy it back via Dolby Atmos?

LooneyHD

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am suggesting that my surround sound is being held hostage until I purchase Dolby Atmos. Allow me to explain: I have Turtle Beach 800x with the firmware update to fix the mic. This unit has multiple speakers per earcup that produces an amazing 360 degree 5.1 or 7.1 sound via optical out. My previous set was Trittron Pro+ and those were excellent at capturing the Dolby Digital experience as well through similar speaker placement in the headphones. I can't chat with those on my One x or any other previous One so I got the TB 800x and they sound great.

Months back Xbox had an update(Nov 2017) and they added a new column under Display and Audio> Audio Output. The new column is Headset Audio and under headset audio three options are given: uncompressed stereo, Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos. I downloaded the Atmos app and loved it. I was none the wiser that the default setting for headset was actually uncompressed stereo(2.0) after the update. The trial went up and I noticed a difference. I was about to purchase Dolby Atmos when I realized my surround sound was not even active after this update. It had been deactivated due to them not adding Dolby Digital to the headset options. I noticed that there was only two channels being used in the 800x during a game. I even tested my second pair.. yes, I have a back up 800x. There was no spatial awareness -where there was way before the update. I was playing Games and 2.0 might as well be mono to me. So I have been using my Trittons via optical(with no chat) and my home theater. WTH? My headset was always emersive and without issue until this colum was added. I am accusing MS of deliberately leaving out Dolby Digital or DTS under the headset audio options to force users to update to Atmos. I want to be wrong so I am requesting feedback. This is my first post...

In essence, I am saying that MS is tricking users into purchasing an app to unlock their super surround sound and within that unlocking your own headsets 5.1. Yes, the app is awesome, but why must I pay to unlock what I already had. And it's just adding a fake two extra fake channels for most users anyways. I am an audiophile and I understand audio, but am I wrong? How can I honesty test my 5.1 over it's 7.1 when the new headset option makes my audio uncompressed stereo vs Dolby Atmos? Of course the latter will sound better! Anyone else find this plausible or at least interesting? I just can't get over it and don't have any other way of describing my situation. If you go to your settings you will see the "uncompressed stereo" option for your headset is to be selected if you don't want or have Dolby Atmos. And before the update and introduction to Atmos my headset was recognized just fine and I could chat and receive my true surround without having to select any option. Now there is no spatial awareness like I had before because surround for headset is off! So... why now are we given these only these three options and the first one being 2.0?

MS basically says "if you want you surround sound back buy it and we will add two extra channels" and that is wrong. SMH. If I am out of bounds or there is a simple solution besides buying the app ...let me know. Sure. the app is great but that is not my point is it? Anyone?

Edit: I did speak with an MS tech and they said they have no idea what I was talking about. I was polite and patient even as they tried to explain uncompressed 2.0 stereo is 5.1. :/

Last edited:
That's because you don’t use the headphone settings if you want to use the built in 5.1 of your headset. You just use the optical out audio settings with bitstream Dolby digital as if it were a surround system.

Hello. Thank you for your reply. I was doing that for years with the Tritton Pro+. And I did it all last year before the addition of the Dolby Atmos option. It's not news to me what you are saying, and I appreciate your kind response. My gripe is that I had 5.1 and chat with the 800x for a year until this update. These headsets and others are marketed to have 5.1 with chat and they do indeed, but MS introduced this new option adding Stereo, Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos options. MS took away my chat plus 5.1 for headphones to sell that app ...an app most people will use with a 2.0 system.

I still don't understand the issue if I am honest. I used to use a Mixamp set up and it works the same as I mentioned above. It matches (more or less) what TB say for your headset here too Elite 800X - Windows Sonic Surround Sound

The headphone settings on the Xbox are for the virtual console generated version. If you use that then it says to disable the extra processing of your external headphone system. In the link I give above you can see they recommend to not use Windows Sonic or Atmos and set it up accordingly by sending bitstream down the optical link for the headset to process instead.

Btw this thread might be better served by being moved to this thread Headphones again! as it is where the majority of the headphone discussion takes place now and more people will see it.

MS have not taken anything away but added options. You don't have to pay for the Atmos App if you want to carry on with Dolby Digital.

I still don't understand the issue if I am honest. I used to use a Mixamp set up and it works the same as I mentioned above. It matches (more or less) what TB say for your headset here too Elite 800X - Windows Sonic Surround Sound

The headphone settings on the Xbox are for the virtual console generated version. If you use that then it says to disable the extra processing of your external headphone system. In the link I give above you can see they recommend to not use Windows Sonic or Atmos and set it up accordingly by sending bitstream down the optical link for the headset to process instead.

Btw this thread might be better served by being moved to this thread Headphones again! as it is where the majority of the headphone discussion takes place now and more people will see it.

Thank you. My 800x are powered by USB and optical out. The MS tech sent me that link as well and another one from Dolby. Neither address why there is only those three options and the first being 2.0. I am just confused on why headset options have "uncompressed stereo" not Dolby Digital or even DTS before the Atmos. I am new here and I'll see how to move this to headphones again. Thanks again.

MS have not taken anything away but added options. You don't have to pay for the Atmos App if you want to carry on with Dolby Digital.
Thank you. I'd love to carry on with Dolby Digital and chat. It's just there is no way to deactivate the "headset audio" colum that was introduced so I am stuck with uncompressed stereo. I'll just buy the Atmos because that will give me my true surround back. I do wish the headset options included had Dolby Digital

You are choosing the wrong options and getting hung up on Headphones option. Your audio is from the optical out so you change those settings not headphone settings.

You are choosing the wrong options and getting hung up on Headphones option. Your audio is from the optical out so you change those settings not headphone settings.
The headset option comes up automatically... there is no way to disable it. The Xbox recognizes the headset and assigns it to the console. So... I am forced to use 2.0(uncompressed stereo). I am a huge audiophile and really really convinced I have a legit gripe. IDK. Thank you again for your replies. I attached some images.

Attachments

• IMG_7257.JPG
    IMG_7257.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7258.JPG
    IMG_7258.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 710
Look to the left, you are already using Dolby Digital via Optical Out.
Ignore the options on the right as you are synced to the TB Base and not plugged into a controller.

Xbox sends audio out using two parallel streams: a multichannel one (labeled as Speakers audio in the settings menu) and the stereo channel (labeled Headset - this is normally the controller connected headphones). Your TB are connected to the multichannel side via the optical. You only send Atmos/Sonic stereo down that optical channel if you tick the box that selects that your headset is connected via optical or hdmi. You haven't done that as it greys out the multichannel options.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom