Did I make the correct decision ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by sniffer66, Oct 30, 2004.

1. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,665
    Hi

My first post but I've been reading the forum for months :)

I was in the market for a plasma a few months ago with about £1500 to spend. I had no idea about this forum at the time so was going on friends/shop advice.

I managed to get hold of an unused Silver Panny TH42PW5EX from Richer with a Component board, stand, Keene SCART to component converter and a QED scart component cable for my money.

I was aware that the 5 series was discontinued but having viewed the pic quality from my setup I was more than happy. Added to that I am using Sky+ for 99% of my viewing with the occasional XBOX DVD fed through my SKY+ scart to the Keene box.

My theory at the time was that for my money i was looking cheapo non Panny with all the PQ issues or wait for ages for prices to come down. Also PQ in the main would be dependent on the SKY+ box NOT the plasma.

I've used a DVE disk to calibrate as best I can and TBH I'm more than happy with the PQ via SKY+, XBOX DVD looks v.good. Not sure if I would have bought an RS RGB to VGA converter if I'd known at the time rather than the Keene - would it have made an appreciable difference ?

My worry now is that I made the wrong decision and should have waited and bought at least a 6 series for similar money ? Of course then I would have had additional stand, connect costs etc

So, did I make the wrong choice, would I be seeing "appreciable" PQ difference if I had waited and do I have a problem with the 5 series future proof wise ?
    I'd be very interested in your comments

Thanks

2. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,665
    Loads of reads but no responses

Was my first post so I'm not sure if I posted in enough detail or something else is wrong. Please let me know if thats the case

Or is it that qu's on PW5's are too out of date ??

Thanks

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    With this kind of market, you will always be able to get more for less, if you wait long enough.

Did you make the correct choice? Who knows. Who cares? What difference does it make if I say you should have waited and got an LG, someone else says you should have waited and got a PW6, or someone else says you did the right thing?

Reliability issues aside (and I rather doubt there are any), the only person that can possibly say whether you have made the right choice is you. Are you happy with the screen? Have you seen anything else recently for similar money that you prefer?

FWIW, I think you are right on mot parts. The bottom line is if you are happy with your screen, stop worrying and bloody enjoy it!!

4. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think for £1,500 yuo've got yourself a good deal. Even if you'd waited til now you'd still be looking at spending at least a few hundred more to get yourself a PW6 with stand, board, converters, cables etc.

As far at future proofing I wouldn't worry about that either ... by the time high definition (via Sky/cable) becomes the norm I'm sure you'll be looking for another TV by then.

As far as convertors go I've heard that the JS Tech. ones are the best of the best ... so if you're /really/ wanting to try to get some PQ improvement buy one. If you don't think it's improved that much you can always sell it on the classifieds here at being almost new.

ZedZed

5. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,665
    Thanks guys - appreciate the comments. Was happy until I started reading up LOL !
    Too much info is sometimes a bad thing is it not ?? :)

Please - can anyone tell me if there was a real difference between the PW5 and PW6 in terms of pq ??

6. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stop reading up :)
    I know what you mean, it's a lot of money to spend on any one item and you want to feel that you made the right decision.
    There will always be something better for less coming around the corner, if not here already. But as you yourself said the PQ is very good and you are happy with it. Stop comparing and just enjoy it. You made the right decision at the time.
    I bought an Hitachi, and judging by some of the comments on this board you would think it is turkey and not to touch them with a barge pole - which might be the case for AV perfectionists. However for me I think the PQ is superb and am very happy with it plus it was the right size for my room 32" so it did not dominate it and it came with a sexy swivel stand, perfect for my needs.
    I do at times think, do I buy the right one, should I have gone for the 32PD5200 rather than the 5300 or should I have gone for a Panny (after reading posts on this forum :)). But ho hum I've made my choice and I'm happy with it and it looks the dogs.
    By the sounds of things you can't go wrong with a Panny and even if there was a difference between the PW5 & 6, you would probably only notice it if they were side by side.
    Enjoy.

7. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,665
    Sound advice I think Zoom

Guess I'll just enjoy it whilst I can :)

8. OxfordDon

OxfordDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm sure you made the right decision. I can also say the best thing I did after I got all my stuff hooked up was to get Gordon to calibrate it, that really is the icing on the cake. In fact he's coming round tomorrow to calibrate again since I've changed my DVD player, and the panny is now well and truly run in. Can't recommend him highly enough, money very well spent :D

9. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,665

Thanks - any ideas on a ballpark figure for that kind of job ??

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
    Sitting in a hotel in Wawickshire after a heavy but entertaining day and evening calibrating and demoing. You can email me for pricing or look at my website where I think I have published pricing.

Gordon

11. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,041
    hey dude i got the pw5 too, i think its a cracking set no need to worry about if u made a good decision as u definately did.
    id probably buy a new dvd player though.