• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Did I just buy a lemon :( ??

digitalwolf

Hi there,

Purchased an iPhone 3g on ebay earlier. It has a turbo sim with it but is running firmware 2.2.1.

Have I just wasted £300 as i'm on 3UK?? Will 3g mode ok?

Thanks

StevieDvd

Depends on a few things.

If the phone is fairly new and in new condition then the price is fair. As to using it with a sim adapter, most of these are OK as 2G but can stuggle with full 3G.

Depending on the age of the phone it is possible that even being on 2.2.1 it can allow an unlock. This is based on the bootloader version being 5.08 or less (most newer models are 5.09 or greater).

You can find the bootloader version after jailbreaking, search for the threads on how to do all this.

digitalwolf

The phone is already jailbroken running cydia?? Does this make sense :confused:

It has apparently been working on the T-Mobile network but my concern is will it work on 3g?

I am lucky to live and work in full 3g reception areas. I have no issues swapping the signal from 2g to 3g when I want to use data but will it actually work???

The phone is 5 months old.

Thanks.

StevieDvd

My suggestion would be to download an app from cydia called fuzzyband this will let you know if your phone can be software unlocked. This is better than any sim adapter unlock.

A small percentage of iphones on 2.2.1 with the older bootloader can be downgraded so you can use the yellowsnow unlock program, fuzzyband will check your bootloader version and give you the option to downgrade or tell that you can't.

In any event you'll need the apn settings for t-mobile to use 3G, these are in the stickied thread at the top of this part of the forum. I expect you'll be able to use 3G once you have those settings, even with a sim adapter if its any good (I can use vodafone 3G with my gevey adapter and the apn settings in a strong 3G signal area).

Steve

digitalwolf

Hi i'm actually on Three UK, just the seller mentioned that it worked fine on T-Mobile.

I actually have a company mobile on o2 so I can whack that sim in to load the app's on etc to see if it will work.

Are there any issues using an iPhone on 2.2.1 with Three UK? Would it switch from 3's 3G service to the back up Orange 2g service ok?

I'll give the app a go and post back.

Thanks.

StevieDvd

Hi i'm actually on Three UK, just the seller mentioned that it worked fine on T-Mobile.

I'll give the app a go and post back.

Thanks.
My aplogies I saw t-mobile and stopped thinking :)
Apparently the apn settings for 3UK are:

three.co.uk
no username no password

Fingers crossed for you on the bootloader version check!

Steve

StevieDvd

Stevie

Do you find that your Gervey sim works OK ?

And are you using it on a phone that has been JB or not ?

MP

Yes it works fine in 2G but a little flaky if set to 3G and signal is not strong.

Guy I bought from in Ebay was very helpful, and is keeping his customers updated re OS3 etc so seems to be a reasonable reseller of the gevey adapter.

manor park

Stevie

If you have it that would be useful, the last one I got off ebay was useless (not gevey) I am in a very good 3G area so with a reliable sim it should be OK until a software lock comes up.

MP

digitalwolf

Well it's here and it doesn't work.

Works fine on my o2 company sim. Inserted the non-cut Q sim in with three sim and it begins to search then says sim card not entered.

Does the same with a voda sim too.

Could the turbo sim be nackered? It looks a bit tatty

Any ideas? :S

Last edited:

StevieDvd

These sim adapters can be tricky:(

Is it a rigid card or fairly thin bendy plastic? As the connections between the card, the sim and the phone all have to be good I found the rigid gevey better. My first one (i-smartphone) and its replacement were too flexible which I reckon stops them working.

In attempts to get it working I've been given the following tips - not that I believe them all to work :eek: but I pass them on anyway:

1. Clean your sim contacts (soft tissue)
2. Put iphone into airplane mode, 3G off, phone off and insert sim.
3. Turn on phone and airplane mode off
4. Allow to search, 5-10 minutes
5. No sim will do another search so don't give up too soon.
6. Switch on/off a few times
7. If signal works (2g) then make/receive a call
8. Then add apn settings
9. then turn on 3G and see if that works as well
10. If all OK try youtube etc.

I spent hours on the i-smartphone version and the replacement for what I thought was a faulty one. I managed a signal for a minute or two at most. The gevey worked straight away, and has been reliable on 2G and intermittent for 3G (in strong 3G areas it does work). BTW my provider is vodafone.

Hope one of these ideas gets you working.

digitalwolf

It's a flimsey one thats looks like it's seen better days lol.

Well I managed to get it working on my T-Mobile sim on 2g. Changed it over to 3g and it didn't like it.

I haven't been able to get it working on my Three sim at all.

I really need it to work in 3g mode as i'll get in trouble with 3 for using Orange's back up 2g service.

I get full signal on all of the networks on 3g apart from o2, there is mast a 0.5 miles away from here.

StevieDvd

Just checked a few sim adapters on ebay and they mention not working with 3UK, bummer!

It may be worth checking what I mentioned earlier in the thread:

"My suggestion would be to download an app from cydia called fuzzyband this will let you know if your phone can be software unlocked. This is better than any sim adapter unlock.

A small percentage of iphones on 2.2.1 with the older bootloader can be downgraded so you can use the yellowsnow unlock program, fuzzyband will check your bootloader version and give you the option to downgrade or tell that you can't."

See what bootloader you have by downloading fuzzband - if by chance you have 5.08 bootloader then you can ditch the sim adapter and possibly even use your 3 sim.

digitalwolf

Just checked a few sim adapters on ebay and they mention not working with 3UK, bummer!

It may be worth checking what I mentioned earlier in the thread:

"My suggestion would be to download an app from cydia called fuzzyband this will let you know if your phone can be software unlocked. This is better than any sim adapter unlock.

A small percentage of iphones on 2.2.1 with the older bootloader can be downgraded so you can use the yellowsnow unlock program, fuzzyband will check your bootloader version and give you the option to downgrade or tell that you can't."

See what bootloader you have by downloading fuzzband - if by chance you have 5.08 bootloader then you can ditch the sim adapter and possibly even use your 3 sim.

I've tried that, it's running 5.09.

How can a 3 sim be different? It works in 2g only phones I have. It's deff making contact with the turbo sim as it's marking the chip on my 3 sim.

Last edited:

digitalwolf

Update:

Tried running it with my T-Mobile 3g pay & go simcard in and yes it finds a signal, locks onto it but then starts searching for the network eventually saying no sim.

Got a feeling this sim adapter is rubbish.

One worry I have is if it did work with Three and I lost signal, would it ever find it back or would it keep saying no sim???

StevieDvd

Update:

Tried running it with my T-Mobile 3g pay & go simcard in and yes it finds a signal, locks onto it but then starts searching for the network eventually saying no sim.

One worry I have is if it did work with Three and I lost signal, would it ever find it back or would it keep saying no sim???

Sounds like my first experience with an adapter. If you PM me your address I can send you my i-smartphone adapter to try (it said on ebay it would handle the 3 network). And before any asks - no I don't stock, sell or even recommend them!

DJACID

Update:

did you change the Sim Tray,
my other phone which got water damage but lucky still worked,
as i wasn't using it,
i set it up for my mum so you can use the ipod feature + phone instead of taking her nano and phone to work,
i had the same problem after unlocking some times it worked,
and other times it would say no sim or invalid sim,
after searching around on the net found out the sim tray would also need changing if using t-mobile sim,
so bought one swap the trays around and it has been working fine ever since....

manor park

Stevie

I just got the gevey sim from the guy you used, so far I have made a couple of calls on 2g (full signal) and browsed on Edge with no problems.

I will test it over the next couple of days but very pleased so far.

Thanks very much :thumbsup:

MP

StevieDvd

Stevie

I just got the gevey sim from the guy you used, so far I have made a couple of calls on 2g (full signal) and browsed on Edge with no problems.

I will test it over the next couple of days but very pleased so far.

Thanks very much :thumbsup:

MP

Glad to be of assistance.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom