• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Did I get it for free!!?!?

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
Ok, ordered skyHD via a nice email to the CEO dude as reccomended on here. Worked perfectly with an 8 day wait from order to install!!!!

Its getting installed this Saturday so I received a nice letter from Sky (looks like a stanadard letter) saying what im getting installed and when etc . .

in the Place where it itemises what work is being done it has NIL under the costs heading . . (for Box and install)

Is this an error on their part?? Because I complained?? Can i use this to my advantage to not pay??

Wondering what you guys think :lease:

nobby1963

If I were you I would keep quiet and wait and see ...... dont spend the monies you thought you were going to have to pay though - just in case Sky charge you on a future bill.

If after a couple of Sky monthly bills have been generated and paid & you still have not been charged then you have got it for free ! :clap:

..............probably .......?

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
Yes i shall need to keep an eye on my bills and see!!

Does anyone recently got the letter and wouldnt mind checking?? :thumbsup:

C

6022tivo

Don't forget SKY do not charge boxes to bills, they have to be paid seperatley normally via a credit/debit card. So you may of got away with it..

Well done.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
if they have sent him a letter stating NIL for cost and it shows both install and box, he's getting it free.

when its in writing and once the install is done, then they have to honour the charge, otherwise he can happily get the ombudsman to rule in his favour, not only will that mean sky have to honour the charge still, but they'll also get an ombudsman charge of more than the box....hehe

they cant wriggle out on the 'typographical error' claim with something like that....the ombudsman wont let them...lol

DMB1

i got the same letter, though the money came out of my account couple of days later! it stated on the letter that mines was getting fitted on the saturday even though we agreed thurs!

do i have a case to say i want my money back??

hamd01

I know this isnt going to be a popular comment..... but there does seem to be a lot of talk in the skyHD and SKY+ forums about how and if people can manage to get one over on sky....in this case get a free box.

Obviously you know that you should be paying for the box, and personally I think some of the things people are doing to try and....for want of a better word....diddle sky, are nothing short of deception. If it was the other way around you wouldnt be happy as a customer if SKY knowingly let you overpay, then tried to avoid refunding you.

Just my personal opinion.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
i got the same letter, though the money came out of my account couple of days later! it stated on the letter that mines was getting fitted on the saturday even though we agreed thurs!

do i have a case to say i want my money back??

then i'd take it up with them, if they sent a letter saying NIL charge for the box and specified a date to install they have to stick with that unless they remove the offer of the box before they install......until they send it to you they can turn around and say oh wait, we need to charge you for this, they cant charge you if they have installed it.

edit: if you signed up over the phone and paid by card over the phone, then they might send you a nil charge letter as you have already paid for the box over the phone and obviously the account your card is for will get debited in short order but sometimes it may take a few days. in this instance you dont get the money back...thought I better mention that..lol

Last edited:

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
I know this isnt going to be a popular comment..... but there does seem to be a lot of talk in the skyHD and SKY+ forums about how and if people can manage to get one over on sky....in this case get a free box.

Obviously you know that you should be paying for the box, and personally I think some of the things people are doing to try and....for want of a better word....diddle sky, are nothing short of deception. If it was the other way around you wouldnt be happy as a customer if SKY knowingly let you overpay, then tried to avoid refunding you.

Just my personal opinion.

I will as always pay everything they request. if they want there £79.99 then they are welcome to it, but my point being, has an admin error or perhaps a special case bacause i contacted the director been made hence i get it for free :devil:

jdp1962

if they have sent him a letter stating NIL for cost and it shows both install and box, he's getting it free.

when its in writing and once the install is done, then they have to honour the charge, otherwise he can happily get the ombudsman to rule in his favour, not only will that mean sky have to honour the charge still, but they'll also get an ombudsman charge of more than the box....hehe

they cant wriggle out on the 'typographical error' claim with something like that....the ombudsman wont let them...lol

Which ombudsman is that?

shirt44

I've also got a letter stating nil charges for my install, due in a weeks time. I also complained to Jeremy Darroch about the £30 charge to existing customers, got a very nice lady who agreed to waiver this installation charge. She did state that the £49 charge would come out off my next bill. But as it states nil, would this still apply?

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
I've also got a letter stating nil charges for my install, due in a weeks time. I also complained to Jeremy Darroch about the £30 charge to existing customers, got a very nice lady who agreed to waiver this installation charge. She did state that the £49 charge would come out off my next bill. But as it states nil, would this still apply?

I got my letter yesterday stating charging for all charges. Im gonna give it a go and try get it for free by complaining and let you know.

Doesnt have much chance of sucess.

shirt44

I got my letter yesterday stating charging for all charges. Im gonna give it a go and try get it for free by complaining and let you know.

Doesnt have much chance of sucess.
Good luck, though I doubt very much that we will get any where ith it! Have sky installed yours, before they sent you the bill?

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
Which ombudsman is that?

far as I know it would be OfCom for their TV stuff, with OTELO for the phone type services they provide.

shirt44

I got 1st "nil charge" letter. Then got install. Then got Full bill.
Seems like an error on their part which they rectify later. Looks like I will be billed thereafter too, can't see us having much of a case to get it for free really. It is amazing though when errors are in big companies favour, you have to fight tooth and nail to recover your losses!

LeeDicko

I got the whole 'nil' bill after complaining about the time delay of HD.

Got it installed, and a month later I got the proper bill.

Wouldn't get to excited mate, there's probably like a 0.01% they've screwed up and you won't have to pay.

Don't go spending the money just yet! :)

-edit-

Sorry, just seen this is an oldish thread, and you've since received the full bill! My bad lol

Last edited:

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
-edit-

Sorry, just seen this is an oldish thread, and you've since received the full bill! My bad lol

I lived in hope for that short time :D

Still one of my greatest value for money purches in a long while. :thumbsup:

shirt44

I've been extremely lucky, I rang sky to cancel under the 30 days notice, and was offered 2 months half price for sky world, which is the package I'm already on. So I've more or less got a free HD box. Think I'll do the lottery this weekend, my luck is in!! :D

Last edited:

davieg1

I have just received my confirmation e-mail from Sky

"Please note: As you have paid your one off costs (equipment and set up) online, when your Sky Welcome Letter is delivered, it will indicate the price for these items as "Nil". This is because you have paid upfront through our secure online check out system."

This was included, as i had paid £50 for HD+ box online.I assume when my first bill arrives it will still show "nil", but I will be paying my viewing package in advance

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom