1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I get a good deal?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by wilco1973, Sep 7, 2004.

1. wilco1973

wilco1973
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a Sony Dav SA-30 about 8 months ago and due to the neverending faults with it I managed to get a replacement. As they no longer make this model I was given the Sony DAV SB-300 instead. On paper it looks much better and it certainly costs a lot more as well. I was just interested to know peoples thoughts on it and the deal itself.

Cheers

2. JoeyL

JoeyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi wilco1973,
    just as a matter of interest, what kind of faults did you have?? I have the DAV-SA30 for a couple of months now, problem free so far. I'm Impressed with it. Hope it stays that way!!

As for the newer models, I noticed that they don't seem as attractive looking, when I got the SA-30, its replacement had just become available, but I thought it looked like a VCR from 1981 !! Even the sales guy admitted as much. I wonder why...?

3. wilco1973

wilco1973
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello mate,

The problems I had was that it kept switching itself off on to standby mode after I had turned it on. It made a loud click and shut itself off. It was an intermittant fault and it was in for repair on 3 occasions. I got really fed up with it in the end and Sony replaced it with the SB-300. I think I got a good deal as I now have stand alone speakers which I didn't have before. Anyway hope your SA-30 is gonna be OK!!!

4. opo101

opo101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have the SA30, i think it's a damn good system for the money! i got mine for £200 in january. i live in a flat so it's perfect.

5. welshwizzard

welshwizzard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wilco1973 - my SA30 has the same fault, what did Sony (or your retailer say it was) - only I bought mine and had it on storage for a bit, and only now (1 year later - warranty expired) have I started to use it, and it switches itselft off after about 15 seconds with a click. I have tracked this down to the fact that if the room temp is above 22 c then it will do this, if you leave it on then its OK. As its my second system I dont mind - but would like to know if there is a fix.

6. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this may have something to do with the unit running quite hot. I have one and notice that there is no cooling fan and consequently the casing gets pretty hot after a relatively short period. I have had a couple of problems with the sound distorting on mine when it was hot so have sent it back. Its a nice system otherwise.