Question Did I get a dud C9?

Sptz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I bought a 55C9 in January and never tested for greyscale uniformity and did notice a couple of odd things while watching dark movies. Today, while watching Hereditary was when I noticed this insane bar on the left side nonstop so I decided to fireup a greyscale video and the 5% one and... Found out not only there's that horrible super noticeable one on the left, plus a few other ones on the right and a very thin line on the extremety as seen in the images.

Results:

IMG_20200308_214049.jpg

IMG_20200308_214129.jpg

IMG_20200308_214235.jpg

IMG_20200308_214256.jpg

IMG_20200308_215003.jpg

Could a pixel refresh help with this?

If you suggest me to replace it, I purchased this from Richer Sounds UK, should I go to LG or to Richer Sounds for this? Thanks!

See Richer Sounds, let them sort LG out.

Makes sense. But since it's out of the first 30 days, even though I have the 6 year guarantee, it states on their website the following:

If your purchase is under 30 days old -
Simply return your item (complete with all original packaging and accessories) and you will be offered the choice of either an exchange or a full refund.

If your purchase is over 30 days old but within the manufacturer or extended guarantee period -
If a fault develops after 30 days but within the guarantee period, we will provide a speedy, free-of-charge repair. Simply return your faulty item to your local store where one of the team will get it booked in for repair.

So does this mean they won't offer a replacement? How on earth can a panel be "repaired" for these kinds of issues lol

think that is more related to other items. give them a ring. The RS service is top notch.

So does this mean they won't offer a replacement? How on earth can a panel be "repaired" for these kinds of issues lol

I had a similar problem with my C8 after 30 days and they replaced the panel.

I had a similar problem with my C8 after 30 days and they replaced the panel.

They put me in contact with LG directly and told me a technician would come in to do the repair. They did tell me to do one thing first and to confirm if the banding is still there. To do a pixel refresh 5 times in a row, that sounds insane to me but I've just started doing it anyway to see what happens.

When you do a pixel refresh, how do you know it's finished? Is the TV supposed to turn on by itself or something?

Update: It's been 2 hours now and the TV has yet to reboot / turn on... Does this mean it's not working? Not sure what to do..

Ok, so after two manual pixel refreshes and also unplugging from the outlet this happened. I have no idea if it was the unplugging or pixel refreshes but just look at that difference... It's insane, I don't get how it got so much better, mainly thinking I've owned the TV only since January.

IMG_20200310_001037.jpg
IMG_20200310_001207.jpg
IMG_20200310_001330.jpg

Now, I still can see it's not as uniform as a lot of people and reviewers have them, is this even worth exchanging? I'm guessing LG would probably refuse at this point?

Ok, so after two manual pixel refreshes and also unplugging from the outlet this happened. I have no idea if it was the unplugging or pixel refreshes but just look at that difference... It's insane, I don't get how it got so much better, mainly thinking I've owned the TV only since January.

View attachment 1267358View attachment 1267359View attachment 1267360

Now, I still can see it's not as uniform as a lot of people and reviewers have them, is this even worth exchanging? I'm guessing LG would probably refuse at this point?

i‘d take that panel in a heartbeat.

That’s very decent now, although I’d keep an eye on it as it’s unlikely to stay that way

I can still see the same left vertical line in there, it's just much less prominent. If this deteriorates again would ut be worth an exchange?

The frustrating thing is that I don't know if it was the 2 manual Pixel Refreshers I did or the unplugging from the outlet.

Anyway, I'm happy with how it is right now but still worried it might just be a temporary bandaid and that it will eventually go back to being crap. As I've read a lot of accounts of the same happening. If it does then I will of course exchange it as, in my head, I shouldn't be doing 2 manual pixel refreshes on a 3 month old device.

Because if this happened now, 3 months in, all panels deteriorate, so my worry is, how long until this looks like an old abused panel.

Last edited:
One day later it's already starting to go back though ...

IMG_20200310_221649.jpg
IMG_20200310_221657.jpg
IMG_20200310_222402.jpg
IMG_20200310_221848.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom