Did HD-DVD kill my console?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by cedmondson, Dec 19, 2006.

1. cedmondson

cedmondson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Very odd. My HD-DVD arrived yesterday. I installed it to make sure it worked before handing it back to 'Santa' to be wrapped up etc. All went according to plan - although it downloaded two updates from Xbox Live with a reboot between (don't think I've seen anyone mention that so it may or may not be 'normal'). Everything worked. However ever since, the console repeatedly freezes mid-game with vertical lines on screen. This is even with the HD-DVD disconnected.

Console is 'just' within warranty so I've already arranged a repair / replacement. Maybe it's just coincidence but it seems very strange that I never had this kind of problem once and within minutes of the HD-DVD install it became very flakey indeed. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had something like this????

Ironic really that after all the effort to get the HD drive before Xmas, it won't be usable after all ....

2. Roost

Roost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same happened with mine watched a bit of kong last wednesday night. Go to boot it up sunday to show a mate and it busts with corruption all over the screen, got the 3 red lights a few times as well. Will load up GOW once off for a while but crashes on press start screen. Mine got picked up on monday.

3. clual

clual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    :eek:

One thing that I have noticed is that the XBox360 now take a lot longer to start up than before.

4. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    i think the 360 is looking for the device now thats all, as it knows there should be a drive attached.
    As for you other guys I do feel its just bad luck not the actual drive (could be wrong). get it changed quick.

5. Hubamonster

Hubamonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My 360 takes longer to boot when theres a hd dvd in the drive if not its the same as before.

As for the other problems (3 red lights and graphical coruption) in my experience this is all down to dry joints between the chips (usually graphics) and the motherboard. If you have a waranty get it fixed straight away it will only get worse. If you have no warranty it can be fixed but usually isn't worth the hassle.

6. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I had a launch Console that worked like a charm before i bought the HD-Drive.

Watched about 4 minutes of King Kong in all its 1080p glory and then my 360 crashed.

Rebooted to find the RROD

No HD over christmas for me as i need to get it repaired by microshaft

7. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Ok this sounds familiar .. i dont think it is the hd-dvd drive but rather the updates the console receives. There is a certain percentage of consoles that did not take the update very well .... symptons are from some games not loading to slow loadtimes and even making the 360 unusable.

If you have experianced these problems constantly and still in waranty i would get it exchanged if possible.

8. T0M

T0M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I think this concerns earlier consoles, a mate of mine connected his 'old' 13 month Xbox to Live the other day and the auto update killed it - three red lights on the ring of light thingy.

He done some searching and found that this has happended quite a bit and typically the update downloads then the XBox 'freezes' with a strange checkerboard effect and then the lights flash as above.

He called MS and they have replaced it even though it's out of warranty so this must say something! all credit to them it only took them just over a week to picked up and send out a replacement.

Don't know how this fits with this thread as he hasn't got a HD-DVD drive but thought it may be worth mentioning.

9. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    my first 360 died immediately after the autumn update,
    it was 6 months old,
    play.com refunded me for it and I picked a new 360 up from my local currys which has so far taken the update and is playing my HD discs perfectly. :thumbsup:

10. crown62

crown62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Same for me, all fine until I used the HD drive a bit. Its the 3 RED lights:eek:

The dry solder joint problem was obviously waiting to happen, it just seems the HD drive may be fairly demanding on the console and just tipped it over the edge:thumbsdow

Being fix by Microsoft even though out of warranty, mind if they had made them properly in the first place there would not be so many failing on the 3 red lights:mad:

When its back and fixed, it makes you think, is the HD drive a good idea? will it break again? I will always be thinking would it have happened if the HD drive had not been connected?
    should I have gone for a proper player such as the Toshiba or Samsungs bluray for my HD discs and let the console be a games console :)

11. Hubamonster

Hubamonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pretty sure Micosoft have extended the waranty on launch consoles to two years to deal with all the problems they had with these dry joints.

If you can't use the warranty then reflow the solder on the motherboard, worked for me, until the dvd drive died:mad:

12. neil w

neil w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    hubamonster

any idea on where this warranty info can be found for initial units

neil

13. Hubamonster

Hubamonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not sure they officially announced it, in the US the warranty has been extended to 12 months (instead of 30days) and in the EU/UK i think i read that on initial units (before christmas launch) they were repairing red lights of death for upto 2 years.

Check out www.xboxscene.com that has more info.

Think the best way to find out is phone them and make a fuss. Everyone i know who got an initial unit has had to send it back or buy a new one so they certainly won't be suprised to get the phone call, its a known fault (if not admitted).

14. Plastic Sith

Plastic Sith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A cautionary tale for all you curious to see what HD-DVD has to offer your Xbox experience. Remember what curiosity did to the cat............!

Take 1 perfectly functional Xbox 360

Add a splash of an external HD-DVD drive (it's the future.......maybe!)

Mix in 2 updates (seemingly specific to the HD-DVD drive)

Give it a couple of hours of play/viewing...

And Hey Presto, the lights of death.

Shazaaam.

Luckily I am under warranty, but for those of you who aren't and are planning on spending your hard earnt cash on the drive, as Celine Dion might say: "Baby, think twice....."