Question Did anyone go to the HDTV Test OLED and plasma shootout on Sat?

D

Deleted member 507786

They were comparing a Panasonic 60zT65 against a Panasonic 4K OLED and a flat LG OLED 4K. I have heard that somehow the Panasonic plasma won! :) Mind you they said a Samsung plasma was better than the ZT65 two years ago at one of the shootouts. They sound way dodgy to me, what do you think to them?

The Panny oled won actually, the ZT came last by quite a margin. Loads of impressions in the 950V owners thread

The Panny oled won actually, the ZT came last by quite a margin. Loads of impressions in the 950V owners thread

The only impression that I can find on the 950V owner's thread LG EF950V owners and discussion thread is number 4600 from taffyt. I think, zAndy1, that you and hari967 had posted shootout impressions on the Panasonic OLED thread Panasonic TX-65CZ952(CZ950) owners and discussion thread. The last post on that page from hari967, and then several posts on page 10. I couldn't see anywhere that the Panasonic OLED had won, with the ZT coming last?

They were comparing a Panasonic 60zT65 against a Panasonic 4K OLED and a flat LG OLED 4K. I have heard that somehow the Panasonic plasma won! :) Mind you they said a Samsung plasma was better than the ZT65 two years ago at one of the shootouts. They sound way dodgy to me, what do you think to them?
dodgy please explain why?

From what I picked up on the 950 thread, some had gone expecting to purchase and came home disappointed...(although one after hearing about the price reduction treated himself...and rightly so!)

The only impression that I can find on the 950V owner's thread LG EF950V owners and discussion thread is number 4600 from taffyt. I think, zAndy1, that you and hari967 had posted shootout impressions on the Panasonic OLED thread Panasonic TX-65CZ952(CZ950) owners and discussion thread. The last post on that page from hari967, and then several posts on page 10. I couldn't see anywhere that the Panasonic OLED had won, with the ZT coming last?
Just been confirmed on WHatHifi too by Vincent only 3 people voted for the ZT plasma out of 28!

dodgy please explain why?
The strange results I was hearing about. Steve Withers and Canary Jules and Cnet all confirmed after the first OLeD was reviewed it was better than all plasma, here we are a year on and plasma was still winning in some people's view - which now looks wrong. So nothing dodgy after all.

This quote puts the voting result a bit into perspective, because same as the price whether a TV is flat or curved or supports HDR yet or not shouldn't have mattered IMO.
In the 65CZ950’s defence, many who voted for the LG 65EF9500 pointed out that while the Panasonic gave the best colours and luminance uniformity, they preferred the LG’s flat screen finish to the Panasonic’s curved screen, and were also impressed by its high dynamic range playback (the firmware update to add HDR playback to the Panasonic has not gone live yet).
I really have to wonder how many of the attendants simply voted for the EF950V because it's flat, and thus ignoring picture quality advantages of the Panasonic.

I really have to wonder how many of the attendants simply voted for the EF950V because it's flat, and thus ignoring picture quality advantages of the Panasonic.
Voting for flat? I can see that happening as well as the fact that the EF950V is ÂŁ3000 less. ;)

Thankfully at least the latter didn't happen since they were asked to vote without the price being a factor. If someone did anyways, then I don't know what to say.

Voting for flat? I can see that happening as well as the fact that the EF950V is ÂŁ3000 less. ;)
With the recent price drop, the EF950V is now ÂŁ4,000 less than the Panasonic OLED. Oh, I was speaking to someone in Richer Sounds only today. He said that the profit margins on the Panasonic OLED are very thin, and he couldn't see the price reducing very much at all, perhaps to ÂŁ7,500 at the cheapest, towards the end of its production run.

I went to the shootout and my vote went to the EF950V. It's flat and I could see distortion on the edge of the curved Panasonic oled screen. The HDR on the LG was very impressive and not yet available on the Panasonic oled. Both oleds had visible banding on dark scenes and the LG was worse but you won't see much in everyday viewing but if you watch a lot of dark films etc it could be a problem. The Panasonic also had a yellow cast on bright white images. The LG looked brighter than the Panasonic and was very bright on the HDR clips.

The plasma was better on motion.

So the Panasonic oled has faults and is not the near broadcast quality screen early reviews suggested and certainly not worth ÂŁ8K.

I intend to wait until at least CES 2016 for news of new models and maybe the panels will have improved as LG gets more experience of making them.

Another price drop to under ÂŁ3K for the 65" would get me to buy.

I was there at the shootout last weekend, the zt did really good against the oleds- the panasonic cz overall showed a more accurate picture with less issues than the lg- its still not worth 8k - lg ef950 was good in colour but in dark scenes it showed banding which ruined the whole scene (skyfall) floating blacks were noticed - the panasonic wasnt perfect it had banding and a yellow stain but overall if you have a zt keep it until they sort the banding and tint issue

The official report by Mr Vincent Teoh from the event is now online.
4K OLED TV Lays Plasma Ghost to Rest; Panasonic Pips LG

Given that there are still screen uniformity and motion problems with both of the OLEDs, which don't afflict any of my four plasmas; given also that I am quite happy with the dynamic range (the difference between the darkest and the brightest parts of the same image) of my Panasonic and Pioneer LX5090 plasmas (while freely acknowledging that the dynamic range of OLED is greater than that of even the best plasmas) I'll stick with what I have for the time being.

Last edited:
I have seen some members selling their ZT/VT's in the classifieds for OLED. I really would have waited a year or two.

Also reading the reports of the event some of the sensationalist headlines like OLED thrashes PDP is very far from the truth it seems.

Ghost of plasma laid to rest as OLED 'thrashes' tech in shootout...

OLED TV Thrashes Plasma TV In New Public Shoot Out

Desk
Can I ask someone who was at the shootout - what was the margin between the plasma and the OLED sets.

The fact that anyone voted for the plasma at all indicates to me that it wasn't as massive a difference as the "thrashed" headline would have you believe.

I spent some time today looking at the 950V in Currys and it was pretty impressive. I am not sure that in the kind of lighting that I watch in (I don't watch TV in the dark) that the black of the OLED was much better than my GT60 plasma but the brighter parts of the picture were noticeably brighter - so the overall contrast was greater.

However, I sometimes noticed that motion did not seem as fluid as on my plasma. (Difficult to describe really.)

I have seen some members selling their ZT/VT's in the classifieds for OLED. I really would have waited a year or two.

Also reading the reports of the event some of the sensationalist headlines like OLED thrashes PDP is very far from the truth it seems.
Not very...both techs have their pros and cons. It just points to the overarching significance of contrast ratio and black levels when it pertains to what makes for the most visually arresting picture. The first gen OLED 1080p was enough for me to trade in my ZT60 (which I actually regret trading up from a Kuro).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom