1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did anyone ever cure the Pioneer Buzzing?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by reckless, Jun 2, 2005.

1. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As per the title. I've got a 435XDE but the buzzing when watching dvds is getting me a little down. I'm situated about 8ft away and when watching a dark(ish) film it's quite irritating. I put the cores on the lead to no avail.

Strangely enough, it doesn't seem as loud on sky widescreen films. I've changed leads over and inputs etc to no avail. Is it possible that there's some sort of incompatibility with my Sony DVD player that exaggerates the issue?

Did anyone resolve it or is it just something that I'll have to live with?

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi there,

Have you tried the pure cinema mode settings etc............ turn all image enhancements to off, including the noise reduction, enhanced contrasts and all that palaver. If you haven't had the screen ISF'd then put the power mode into save (gives a duller picture - but reduces the buzzing).

Another tip is to set the side bars on 4:3 ratios to auto so they show a ghost of the screen picture - its a little weird at first but you get used to it and this has the effect of minimizing buzz on 4:3 and keeps the whole screen working (so the screen behaves uniformly over its life.

3. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for the suggestions but I have tried most of that. Strangely enough, the dvd input has the least amount of digital jiggerey pokery on it. I don't tend to watch 4:3 images without stretching them (heresy I know) so that isn't really an issue.

I haven't tried the power save so I'll give that a go to see if it helps. The contrast isn't that high (30) so I'm wary about using the power save to make it duller but I'll give it a go.

Thanks for your thoughts. I just got a bit fed up because I was trying to watch The Empire Strikes Back and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and all I could hear was that dratted buzz even though I'd switched the volume up to 20 (which I find really loud even though I'm only using the black side speakers as I haven't got a surround sound system).

It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to use headphones when I watch a dark film. :mad:

4. av_guy

av_guy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reckless,

We have had our 435XDE and we are approaching 400 hours - the buzzing is not very loud at all, to a point where we have to listen so carefully to even hear a little bit.

The settings are turned down. But, I find that I tweak them dependent upon the type of input.

It might be worth contacting Pioneer, as they can suggest a few things like tightening the casing screws (I suggest you let them do this).

Best of luck,
    av_guy

5. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Not sure how many hours are on mine: I bought it a few days before christmas. It's noticeable as mentioned from 8 ft away but having said that, only at approx eye level. If I raise my head higher then you can't hear it so much.

I think I may well take your advice though and ask Pioneer to have a look at it. I will also try aonther dvd player first to make sure that there's definitely no fault with my sony.

6. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just thought I'd give a brief update. I've swapped dvd players and tried using my daughters LG player in place of my Sony. Same problem exists. It's really weird though because it seems worse at certain angles. If I'm not facing the screen directly then you can barely hear it. If though you're directly in front of the screen (8-9ft away) it's really annoying.

I think I've now exhausted all possibilities in that I've swapped leads, inputs and players and I still get the same problem. I'll ring Pioneer today and see if they can do anything.

UPDATE:

I think I may have sussed out what the problem is although I don't know the solution. It appears that it only happens when I'm watching NTSC films. I've just tried it now on a couple of Pal DVDs and it appears to be fine with those. I assume therefore that what I can hear is the the plasma displaying at 60hz and something appears to be generating more noise when it does so.

Has anyone else noticed this?

7. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just spoke to technical at Pioneer. They've said that there's nothing wrong with the panel, it's appears to be a compatibility problem with both dvds. They ran though a few settings changes but that didn't help.

Only thing they could suggest was to buy a Pioneer dvd player and/or stop playing NTSC discs.

8. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    And did they offer to refund you the cost of the DVD player if it still didn't solve the problem?

9. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    No. They basically said that my daughter's LG player is a cheap player (which I knew) and my Sony is far too old (it's a 525 model so probably classed as ancient but I like it and it's never let me down). Perhaps I should ask for a list of players other than pioneer that do work with their equipment. ;)

I asked if an engineer could come and have a look but they said it would be pointless. They also suggested that I buy PAL dvds as they're better than NTSC. Bit late now as I've got about 150 R1 discs compared to about 15 R2.

However, my mate has a pioneer dvd player so I'm going to borrow that to try. Since speaking to them, to confirm my suspicion that the buzzing only occurs when the plasma is displaying NTSC/60hz I tried my PS2 with Pro Evo Soccer 4. This has an option on the load in screen to change from 50/60 hz. Each time I set it to 60hz the buzzing started and it stopped again the moment it went back to 50hz.

My PS2 is using component out so that means that the buzzing occurs on three separate players, two sony, one LG, on all three inputs of the media box, using all types of connection (composite, s-vid, RGB and component) and using different scart leads (reasonable quality, one Thor the other I can't remember as I've had it so long)

I'd really appreciate it if any Pio 435 owners could try to duplicate this in some way to see if they all do or if my screen is faulty. As it stands, I'd like to go back to them if the pio player has the same problem but if this happens on all the screens then there's nothing really I can do about it. I'd just like to make sure that if anything can be done it's done in the warranty period.

Thanks to anyone that can offer any assistance. Comments much appreciated.

10. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same panel and have also noticed the buzzing sound. I can only hear it from certain angles (about eye level but to one side!?). I don't hear it from my viewing position. The panel is located about 8 ft away but it's above eye level over a fireplace.

11. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sounds similar. I have the plasma on a wall at eye level with one sofa facing it and another at 90 degrees to it. The one facing it (which is where I sit) it's really loud. I've noticed it before but this week I've found it really irritating. Must be because this is the first weeks hols I've had on my own this year and so I've taken the opportunity of watching some of my fave films to relax.

Up until this point, I never realised what was causing the problem. I knew it was intermittent but couldn't identify what it was. Because I was so fed up with the buzz, I decided to try changing everything I could in order to try to alleviate the problem. However, at this moment it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to fix it. I'll try my mate's pioneer dvd to see if that helps (although I'm not too hopeful at this moment in time). If it does work then I'll have to see about changing the dvd player. If not, well, I don't really know where I stand. I've got a huge film collection that it would appear the only way for me to watch will be if I'm using headphones.

Looks at this moment as though Pioneer don't want to know. I will get back to them though if the Pio player does exactly the same thing.

I've since found out that it buzzes loud on a dark image but if you then put bright text on the screen with a dark background it gets even louder. Just tested with Blade Runner and the initial introduction text is really quite bad.

12. RedFrog

RedFrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same buzzing problems as a lot of people by the sounds of things. The buzzing on my 505XDE doesn't seem to be intermitant but does vary in severity depending on what's being displayed, I've noted the following symptoms:

1) Turning the "Pure Cinema" mode to off does help but doesn't stop the buzz, it just makes the buzz a much lower pitch which is less annoying but still audible during even slightly quiet scenes from over 3 metres away. The actual volume of the buzz does not seem to be altered by doing this though.

2) Sitting directly in line with the screen does seem to make it more noticable but it's there regardless.

2) Changing the Power Mode setting to "save" doesn't seem to make any difference to the buzz.

3) The buzz is much worse when using the PC input than it is with DVD/TV etc. particularly if I fill the screen with a dark coloured window.

4) The buzz is also much worse when using the "Home Gallery" function than it is with dvd/tv etc. I don't even need to put a memory card in, just switch to the home gallery feature and straight away the buzz gets really bad.

5) The buzzing I'm getting in the home cinema mode and when displaying a PC input seems to be very similair in pitch and volume to that emmited when Pure Cinema is set to "Advanced". Unfortunately there is no option to change the Pure Cinema mode (which I'm assuming more or less equates to refresh rate?) when using the home gallery or PC input options so I'm stuck with the most unbearable high pitched buzz in the two modes where there is typically no audio to mask over it........great :(

6) There doesn't seem to be a noticable difference to the buzz between using the inbuilt analogue/dig tuners and using any external scart or component inputs, it sounds the same regardless.

I'd be grateful if any of you having buzzing problems could clarify how relatively bad it is when using the home gallery or PC input on your panel as I haven't seen any mention of this yet in the various threads that have been posted on this subject. I'd like to see Pioneer blame that one on the dvd player :)

Cheers,
    J

13. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's bad news, mate. I thought some people had been able to get them swapped out by the retailer. I have to say it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I'll try to do some testing over the weekend to see if I can give you some useful comparisons.

Edit: I wonder if the differences in buzzing noise levels is to do with the acoustics of the particular rooms and the location of the panel. It would be interesting to know the buzzing levels of those who have it wall mounted compared to those who have it on a stand.

14. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just had a quick go linking my laptop to the screen to try a dvd through the vga socket: same buzzing on a R1 disc. Didn't get chance to try a R2 disc on there although I did manage to set the laptop to output 75hz instead of 60hz to see if that made any difference. It didn't.

I'm not sure on this screen what rate it normally displays at. I understand that the 434 used to refresh at 70hz hence why it stuttered when showing football and sideway movement etc. As I don't notice this on the 435 I assume that it's refreshing at 50hz and it seems nice and quiet then ( I can hear it buzz but no more than any other plasma I've heard and it's not disruptive in any way).

You can hear the buzz kick in as soon as you change input from sky or analogue to the 60hz dvd.

I've not been able to check on the home gallery as to be honest, I've never used it and don't know how to :)

My mate's on hols at the moment but I'll try next week at some point to borrow his pio dvd player and try that. If it does, I think I'll write to them and see what they've got to say. I still think that will be very strange if it works when two dvd players, a PS2 and a laptop dvd player all demonstrate the same noise.

15. iCEWOLF

iCEWOLF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep the pc is 60hz or above so buzzes - 50 doesn't. bit arse really - i have to have music on when using the PC or it bugs me.

Still music is good.

16. bigmac1

bigmac1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got the XDE too so will have a play based on what you have said. I have only noticed the buzzing when the sound is off, it isn't audible at all when I am watching anything. I will check the 50hz vs 60hz thing too via Pro Ev 4 and also R1 and R2 discs and see what happens and let you know.

17. bigmac1

bigmac1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had a play and it is definitely more audible on 60hz, although still not audible with the sound on. I don't think it should be audible for normal viewing though, I would have thought Pioneer would need to take a look?

18. iCEWOLF

iCEWOLF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Despite moaning a bit in this thread i'm really happy with the tv in general - everything else is perfect - it looks great, the image quality is very high on interlaced PAL images which i didn't expect and on progressive scan the picture is awesome - the GAME setting is really good as it hides jaggies in games like Burnout 3 really well. I love how clear the 1024x768 for PC windows is - not squashed or hard to read. In PC games those that support it 1280x768 set to Full 2 mode is the best (eg. HL2 and CS:Source) but this blurs text too much to use for windows in general. The sound of games films and music all hide the buzzing noise.

All in all very easy to set up and use - just a shame that for silent late night web browsing i can still hear the buzz over my (quite loud) PC. I might try using rage 3d tweak to do a custom 50Hz display output but doubt that will work (would stop the noise but probably wouldn't refresh right....)

19. stormorbit

stormorbit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No real problems with the buzz, I can hear the buzz sometimes but only at a certain level, ie: Two feet above the floor level or when I am standing up and I am just a few feet from the media box we can hear the buzz but can never hear a thing when we sit down, we use Cambridge Azur CD Player and the Cambridge Azur Amplifier.

20. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Mine had a loud buzz as first which was quite loud when displaying a lot of bright white but after 200 - 300hrs of use it has completely gone and i use 50 and 60hz sources.