Did anyone else see The Voices?

mentasm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seemed to pass by very quickly and I can't find any mention of it in the forums. I'm talking about the recent Ryan Reynolds, Anna Kendrick, Gemma Arterton black comedy. I caught it a little while ago during its very limited run at my local cinema and quite liked it. I've come to enjoy Reynolds' performances as he's gotten older, with the sour memory of Hannibal King shoved firmly to the back of my mind. Quite looking forward to his turn as Deadpool after this film, as it shows that he can do the sort of dark, humorous stuff required.

i watched it last night and really enjoyed it, very dark , funny and lmao at the ending..

we enjoyed it. I can't remember a huge amount about it as it was quite a while ago now, but I do remember it being funny. My Mrs has watched it a few times since.

My thoughts earlier in the year -

The Voices (2014)

I can't begin to say how much I hated this. Ryan Reynolds plays a man suffering from mental health issues, and shows how he (seemingly)takes advice from his pet dog and cat. And then goes on to kill various people...

The film sells itself as a black comedy, but it's way, way off the mark. The whole concept is in poor taste imo, and I don't even know what to say about about the fact Reynolds' character talks 'very slowly', to ensure people realise he has a mental health problems. Of course! An issue such as this automatically means a low intellect! Offensive beyond belief, and an utterly lame 'story', not worth telling.

The lovely Gemma Arterton, and Anna Kendrick deserve much better.

2/10 (The 2 is for a quirky song and dance end credit sequence)

My thoughts earlier in the year -

The Voices (2014)

I can't begin to say how much I hated this. Ryan Reynolds plays a man suffering from mental health issues, and shows how he (seemingly)takes advice from his pet dog and cat. And then goes on to kill various people...

The film sells itself as a black comedy, but it's way, way off the mark. The whole concept is in poor taste imo, and I don't even know what to say about about the fact Reynolds' character talks 'very slowly', to ensure people realise he has a mental health problems. Of course! An issue such as this automatically means a low intellect! Offensive beyond belief, and an utterly lame 'story', not worth telling.

The lovely Gemma Arterton, and Anna Kendrick deserve much better.

2/10 (The 2 is for a quirky song and dance end credit sequence)
I gave up on it past the halfway point.

I wouldn't say I hated it, but I didn't like it enough to keep watching. Gave up after about 45 minutes.

I agree it doesn't do the issue of mental health any favours, though. But I still took it all with a large pinch of salt. My main complaint was that it just wasn't funny enough.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom