1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did anyone else get ripped off by DavesWarez?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brogan, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Against my better judgement, I paid for a DVD off a new member called DavesWarez.
    Shortly after joining his account was deleted due to 'spamming' apparently.

It's now 3 weeks on and there's no sign of the DVD and no replies to my emails, unsurprisingly :rolleyes:

I have his full name, hotmail email and bank account details but no address.
    Name: David Boff
    Email: dwz@hotmail.co.uk
    Bank: Nationwide
    Account Number: 39322831
    Sort Code: 07 44 56

If anyone else dealt with this individual and has his address or any other details, please pass them on.

Thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    He seems to be quite active elsewhere and a quick Google for "DavesWarez" will bring up a few other forums in which he operates from. He seems to be having problems elsewhere too

Nochex Classified and Amazon

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,183
    Sorry, but buying off anybody called "DavesWarez" is asking for trouble!!

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Very cheap discs - pirates or old stock?

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Brogan,

If it's of any consolation, you could try getting the local police involved, or even your local Trading Standards.

I'm pretty certain they can investigate the owner of the account, and if need be, take him to court for false advertising, and possibly even illegal items. :clap:

However, having said that, I have to say that buying from anyone calling themselves "DavesWarez" should really have started alarm bells ringing, right from the get-go. :lesson:

Pooch

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    TBH, it's really not worth my time considering it was only £3 but I can't help thinking he's done it many times before and if all of those people thought like me, he's probably made quite a bit from this little scam.

I did say it was against my better judgement and I did actually question his choice of name in the thread before committing to a purchase :suicide:

I thought that with the strict trading rules on this particular forum, I would have some kind of protection against dodgy traders, but obviously not.
    Perthaps all traders should have to show proof of address before being allowed to trade? At least then there would be some way of finding the person in question.

In future I will make sure I only trade with people with a high post count and good trader feedback.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The trading rules here do provide an element of protection for both buyer and seller but common sense still needs prevail. I would never send money to someone new to the forum with no trading history unless they provided me with their address and probably a telephone number too.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Brogan,

I'm sorry to hear about this situation, but as Ian said, I think maybe this is one occasion where you'll simply have to just put this down as a mistake, and move on.

If I were you, I'd only trade with someone who either had a high post-count; or a good trader rating; or failing that, someone who was willing to give me a verifiable address and landline phone number.

I know it's a pain, but I've been screwed-over (not on this forum) to the tune of £50 by someone I thought I could trust, and they just :censored:-off with my money, and scarpered! :mad:

I tried to take them to court, via the Small Claims Section, but they had fled their address, and so I have to just accept that this stupid little :censored:-wit got one over on me.

It's a shame that the few, have to spoil it for the rest of us.

Pooch

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    i was also shafted by a new member recently who didn't pay for goods (no names as my post got deleted last time but he's listed in the bad traders bit) it really is a case of bad luck and only trade with members who have been around for some time....it's still no guarantee of course but it's either that or don't trade at all I guess. As usual it's the minority who ruin it for he rest of us.

10. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,177
    If thats the case then I'll not post his address.
    Brogan, did a bit of searching and found a cached page from his site dated last September and lo and behold it has his address :smashin:

Well I'll tell you what I'll just post the link then I'm not naming him ;)

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:YLijATN8LS4J:www.daveswarez.com/PAYMENTMETHODS.htm+site:daveswarez.com&hl=en

Good Luck

11. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i would still rather shop on here then say ebay though.but i must admit i have become more warey of buying from people with low post counts,which is a shame because i think this is definately the best and most close knit forum i actually visit.

12. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    What a star! :smashin:
    I've just emailed his address details to him with a warning that I'm coming after him.
    Let's see what happens...

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    it is i agree....and it annoys me when the first post you see from somebody is in the classifieds.....the classifieds is meant to be a benefit to regular members

14. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i know this maybe a bit extreme but what about a 200 post entrance count ? if i am interested in a item in the classifides i dont just look at there post count mind i also look at where abouts they have posted and on what subject.like i said most people here are genuine and with it being mainly such a niche market and not to mention an expensive hobby you can almost guarntee people have looked after there kit so i do feel confident of buying here instead of fleabay etc or other forums.

15. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    it's as good a measure as any....you can't really expect the forum to act as a clearing house or anything similar so post counts is worth considering....at least it will stop opportunists

16. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Isn't it the quality of the posts which would give these people away rather than the quantity?

I'd look at length of time being a member, number of posts and trader rating as well.

17. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    dont know mate 200 posts of complete drivel will show up like a beacon if he was to try and sell something in the classifieds that and the fact that on post 201 he put something up for sale lol.people (like they should) look at any posters posts before buying anyway (not that its a bullet proof process) IMO.

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    well it is all those things but of course there always has to be a first trader rating..

19. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,177
    :laugh: Bit of a trek from Docklands to Bedford all for £3 but I know where you're coming from, trust me I'd be sat outside his front door ;)

20. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I think it's a symptom of this forums success, I foolishly sent a couple of DVD's out to Baggimodo (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214681) before his payment arrived - it still hasn't, and he's vanished off the face of the earth... There is always going to be some element of trust involved, for £12 you win some you lose some :suicide: ...

21. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,177
    Live and learn mate :)
    tbh I would never post anything out without first recieving the readies! I've been stiffed by "supposedly best mates" so I wouldn't be sending off aything to complete strangers without having the cash in my hands ;)

22. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    No I probably won't again, I've only done this in the past when I've had a few to send out, to save a journey to the post office :rolleyes: ...

23. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    i wont either which is a shame as i do like to trust folk.......but you get shat on

24. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    just to make you guys feel better, someone from Italy hijacked an ebay account and sold me a panny pw4 for £2115. before the days of "dont use western union etc". we used western union, italian person picked up money with a forged passport and fled back to italy!

we then bought one from local electrical store for about £3500!!!

Never saw the money again by the way, no comeback with western union.

She seemed so knowledgeable as well, advising us on input boards, tuner boxes etc etc. :rolleyes:

25. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Do you have his address - if not let me know and I will PM his address and mobile phone number to you.

26. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Just checked and this thief logged in yesterday... Why does he still have an account..?

27. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    A pc forum i go on insists that you have to reach 100 posts before the classifieds appear. It might work. My first transaction on this forum, i shipped out the goods BEFORE getting the dosh.......

28. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    If you are going to do a bank transfer get an address and a landline telephone number. Do a search online and tie up the address to the landline number as close as you can . This way if it goes pear shaped you at least have some sort of potential trace back to the blagger.

Its not foolproof , nothing is but its better than nothing.

The only time I ever got ripped off on the forum was by a member with multiple posts ( can't swear it was over 100 but it might be) and a few succesful trades. This was a trade not a buy so I didn't ask for the full details ( it was also a small item).

In contrast I just finished up on a buy with a seller with a handful of posts. Got the landline and address and the tracking code for the package. The transaction was unsuccessful because parcel force ( surprise surprise) "lost" the package.

Seller refunded the money to my account with no problems.

No trade is ever entirely without risk but I have to say that 9 times out of 10 if you ask for a landline and address you will get some lame excuse back from the other party if they are dodgey, its happened to me ..not on this forum though.

Also if you use the classifieds on a regular basis think about making a donation to the avforums. I know I've saved a shedload so keep a good resource going.

29. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    All good advice Mr. D, but I reported this thief to the forum twice (on the 12th and 24th June), I didn't get a reply to either and he's still a member :mad: - Ian J seemed to be the only one interested...

30. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Brogan - if you go can you video it? i'd love to see it - are you taking "friends" with you :D

watch Death Wish before you go - it'll fire you up :smashin:

Gary