1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

did any one watch "The Day Britian stopped" last night?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Gary D, May 14, 2003.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    did anyone else watch this last night? I really enjoyed it and thought the presentation was excellent. scares the sh*t out you though.

Gary

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Yep, I'm surprised something like that hasn't happened for real yet.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Well, we had the blocked M11 last time it snowed. Fortunately Luton isn't as busy as Heathrow.

However I find it a little strange that the Czech plane kept gaining on the Air Lingus one in front: I would have thought a pilot would have to slow down to land and not come in at a rate of knots way above normal. Surely a pilot doesn't rely wholly on some bird in an office to tell him his airspeed???:confused: Can cargo planes land at speeds much higher than passenger ones - doubt it. If he was even a bit sharp he would have realised his airspeed was too high and throttled back.

REALLY enjoyed the two County Police departments which sent all their diverted traffic down the same narrow lane towards each other.:rotfl:

4. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most disasters seem to be a result of several unfortunate coincidences coming together in the wrong place at the wrong time. I dont think it is possible to legislate for most of these.

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thought provoking at the very least, although as mcmullanbrush indicates, not something that any government could ever realistically plan for :rolleyes: - A real worst case scenario :eek:

I thought the comments from Heathrow Airport in the credits at the end were very interesting. They seemed to acknowledge the fact that a problem could arise under the circumstances portrayed, but took the view of "it's not happened yet, so it's unlikely it ever will" :eek: Scary thought.

Did anyone else also feel that it was a good advert for possibly scaring public sector workers into not considering industrial action in the future??!! A kind of "this could happen if we do it" picture? ;) It was funded by the BBC after all ;) Me, cynical??! Never :D

K.