Dicovery HD,Nat Geo HD,History HD.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One quick question does any one know if the recording/broadcast of HD programs is done differently on Discovery HD & Nat Geo HD,History HD as the colour on my G20 (also happend on my G10) seems more over cooked on these channels.?:confused:

I would say documentaries are made to be the ultimate "pure" image is king so unlike movies and entertainment there is no "look" involved, what is is so to speak:)
I think what I am saying is that it's the other channels content which is made to suit which doesn't always mean drop dead gorgeous pin sharp/vivid colours.

Just seems to me that on these channels the colours seem ramped up for some strange reason compared to the likes of SKY 1 HD or BBC HD.:confused:

A good example being say Fringe SKY 1 HD, very natural fantastic colours compared to just about any Documentry etc on Discovery HD.:confused:

Just i would like to know why there is such a massive difference?

Last edited:
Just seems to me that on these channels the colours seem ramped up for some strange reason compared to the likes of SKY 1 HD or BBC HD.:confused:

A good example being say Fringe SKY 1 HD, very natural fantastic colours compared to just about any Documentry etc on Discovery HD.:confused:

Just i would like to know why there is such a massive difference?

I've always thought movies and tv shows were always more muted when compared to say HD footy or documentaries both of which don't play around with the "look" of a show.
How about you've setup the TV picture to suit your preference on general entertainment shows (Fringe I've never considered uber HD reference, quite subdued in fact at times) and the more vivid/intense photography of nature and wildlife then gets a boost?

Put Eurosport HD on now, the Le Mans which is fantastically in your face and see how that compares to SKY1HD or BBCHD and whatever they are showing.

I've always thought movies and tv shows were always more muted when compared to say HD footy or documentaries both of which don't play around with the "look" of a show.
How about you've setup the TV picture to suit your preference on general entertainment shows (Fringe I've never considered uber HD reference, quite subdued in fact at times) and the more vivid/intense photography of nature and wildlife then gets a boost?

Put Eurosport HD on now, the Le Mans which is fantastically in your face and see how that compares to SKY1HD or BBCHD and whatever they are showing.

Yeh mate i know what you mean but i have calibrated my tv i hope to the correct settings and Fringe realy is reference quality for HD broadcasts. The likes of Discovery seem to push the colour gamut to the extreme,reds in particular.:confused:

There is a i think a certain standard of HD broadcast that should in this day and age most broadcasters should be able to achieve but unfortunately for us some of them are falling well short of this goal.:(

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom