• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dickensian (BBC One)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
The half-hour drama series, which has an order for 20 episodes from Tony Jordan and his indie Red Planet Pictures, Dickensian brings together some of his most iconic characters, including Scrooge, Fagin and Miss Havisham, as their lives intertwine in 19th century London. The Old Curiosity Shop sits next door to The Three Cripples Pub, while Fagin’s Den is hidden down a murky alley off a bustling Victorian street.

Peter Firth, Pauline Collins, Stephen Rea, Caroline Quentin, Tuppence Middleton , Ellie Haddington, Sophie Rundle, Omid Djalili, Anton Lesser, Ned Dennehy, Adrian Rawlins, Tom Weston-Jones, Richard Ridlings, Alexandra Moen, Robert Wilfort, Jennifer Hennessy, Phoebe Dynevor, Brenock O’Connor, Mark Stanley, Christopher Fairbank and Joseph Quinn.

The first episode will air on Boxing Day at 7pm, with the second episode following later that same day at 8:30pm; the third episode airs on Sunday December 27th at 7:30pm, with episode four going out that same day at 8:30pm; before Dickensian settles into the Friday night 8:30pm time-slot on New Year’s Day (January 1st).

From Saturday, 26 December at 7pm

Dickensian-FT-779x400.jpg

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
As a fan of the BBC dramatisations of original Dickens stories , this sounds naff to be honest. Only thing missing is to add Dr Who and Cumberbatch's Holmes into the mix.

Mark One

Prominent Member
Will definitely give it a watch, I think it shows a spark of originality. After all, how many versions of Great Expectations do we need?

Garrett

As a fan of the BBC dramatisations of original Dickens stories , this sounds naff to be honest. Only thing missing is to add Dr Who and Cumberbatch's Holmes into the mix.
Oh my Mutual Friend I have high Expectations and Curiosity of these Tale Off Bleak Hard Twist this Christmas. It will be a Mystery if the pull it off and what the Papers will make of it but will watch it with my Little Son, David and my nephews Barnaby, Martin, and Nicholas.:D

Garrett

Dont forget there 2 episodes on tonight with a program between 1/10 and 2/10.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Oh my Mutual Friend I have high Expectations and Curiosity of these Tale Off Bleak Hard Twist this Christmas. It will be a Mystery if the pull it off and what the Papers will make of it but will watch it with my Little Son, David and my nephews Barnaby, Martin, and Nicholas.:D
You forgot Tiny Tim.

Garrett

brian s

Distinguished Member
It's basically a whodunit with the characters of Dickens. I'm not sure how they'll keep this up for 20 episodes.

Bri

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Same way Eastenders can drag out whodunit storylines for 12 months

Dickensian also focuses on the lives of others, ie the brother and sister inheritance and I'm sure other side plots will pop up for other characters

I'm enjoying it.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Same way Eastenders can drag out whodunit storylines for 12 months

Dickensian also focuses on the lives of others, ie the brother and sister inheritance and I'm sure other side plots will pop up for other characters

I'm enjoying it.

It did strike me that it was a little bit like Twin Peaks. That grabbed many viewers because of the murder but it was the other charactors and their situations that held my attention. I'm afraid it's only the murder that's keeping me half interested.

Bri

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Not returning for series 2. Humbug

BBC;
“We are incredibly proud of Dickensian and would like to thank all those involved in such an ambitious series. We sometimes have to make difficult decisions to make room for new shows and it won’t be returning for a second series.”

The drama’s creator, Tony Jordan, added: “I am disappointed that we will not be making a second series of Dickensian. We are hugely proud of what we achieved in the first series of Dickensian and would like to thank everyone who helped us create a truly special and unique drama.”

brian s

Distinguished Member
I'm surprised they even considered another series. I didn't make it to the end of the first.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom