Diane James steps down as UKIP leader after 18 days - farcical

nabby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UKIP are turning into a compete shambles and a parody of themselves. On top of this the Tories under Theresa May are doing their best to take as many of UKIPs policies and positions as possible to negate their threat.

The return of Farage would complete the joke for me.

We don't know the reason why. What if she is seriously ill?

In that situation I think that would have formed part of the press release. One paper is quoted as saying family reasons. Let's see what that means in reality.

Nige to the rescue:D

Illness might appear to be the case - not her's but her husband's

She was apparently a reluctant leadership candidate, and never campaigned nor took to the hustings. She was recently spat at and continually procrastinated about signing the formal leader's declaration form.

They were always a joke to me @nabby :)

In that situation I think that would have formed part of the press release. One paper is quoted as saying family reasons. Let's see what that means in reality.
What press release? I've read numerous sources and the best I can find was two Ukip "insiders" had said something and there will be an announcement tomorrow.

Illness might appear to be the case - not her's but her husband's

She was apparently a reluctant leadership candidate, and never campaigned nor took to the hustings. She was recently spat at and continually procrastinated about signing the formal leader's declaration form.

They were always a joke to me @nabby :)

One wonders if she knew of the health issues before the vote, in that case.

The BBC are saying the health of a family member. It didn't stop David Cameron staying on as PM when his son sadly passed away, or Gordon Brown when his son sadly passed away.

What press release? I've read numerous sources and the best I can find was two Ukip "insiders" had said something and there will be an announcement tomorrow.

UKIP have leaked it to the press (either directly or indirectly) without managing the speculation or media spin. It surely would have made more sense to issue a proper press release (possibly with more details to follow).

Pretty sure everyone is affected differently and every case is unique.

Interesting you bring up Cameron. After telling us we never quit, he then quit as PM and then quit as MP.

Doesn't that suggest he was bothered more about the result of a referendum than his son then?

Did you vote for Diane? Is that why you are bothered?

UKIP have leaked it to the press (either directly or indirectly) without managing the speculation or media spin.
Not sure "Ukip" leaked anything. Some members of Ukip seemed to. I don't think the party has.

It surely would have made more sense to issue a proper press release (possibly with more details to follow).
No doubt this will happen when the party has something.

From the BBC.

UKIP leader Diane James 'to stand down' - UKIP leader Diane James 'to stand down' - BBC News

UKIP leader Diane James is expected to stand down 18 days after she was elected to the post, senior party sources have said.

UKIP has not formally confirmed reports of the resignation which is thought to be partly due to family ill-health.

The information is from "sources" and not confirmed by UKIP yet.

You seemed to want to have a go at Ukip without stopping to find out the reason why she was quitting. I had no idea what the reason was but my thought was if she is quitting so soon it could be something serious. I'd rather wait to see what it was.

As for them being a complete shambles, haven't they, despite the odds, actually achieved their parties aim?

She has released a press statement confirming her situation. It seems she has never officially taken up the leadership and feels she does not have sufficient support from MEP's and the executive to drive through her vision of where the party should go next.

The presser was just read out on LBC's Ian Collins show.

Diane James (@DianeJamesMEP) on Twitter

Which is odd as she was the bookies favourite to win and at the election had over half the votes.

commentators at the time highlighted her refusal to campaign or debate, as if she didn't want to win; and now it seems she added the latin for "under duress" to the leadership declaration form

You seemed to want to have a go at Ukip without stopping to find out the reason why she was quitting. I had no idea what the reason was but my thought was if she is quitting so soon it could be something serious. I'd rather wait to see what it was.

As for them being a complete shambles, haven't they, despite the odds, actually achieved their parties aim?

And now you know? I maintain it's shambolic.

Diane James quits as Ukip leader after just 18 days in role

James confirmed in a statement that she was not taking up the post for both personal and professional reasons.

In a sign of the turmoil that has engulfed Ukip since Nigel Farage quit, she said she had enjoyed the enthusiastic support of members but not party colleagues.

“It has become clear I do not have sufficient authority, nor the full support of MEP colleagues and party officers to implement the changes I believe are necessary and upon which I based my campaign.”

A party source said James was also unhappy about having been spat at in an incident at Waterloo station.

James said she had not yet formalised her nomination as leader, meaning that she never formally took over from predecessor Nigel Farage after her landslide election on 16 September.

A Ukip source had said James had filled in an official form handing control of the party to her with the words “under duress” in Latin.

Taking her words at face value, this indicates a party that is trying not to emulate Labour but failing.

Either she's leaving as her heart isn't in it, or it's health concerns or it's both or neither. All speculation still so I don't know anything.

Terms like "shambolic" regarding political parties seems a little strong considering how much Labour raised the bar over the last twelve months.

Either she's leaving as her heart isn't in it, or it's health concerns or it's both or neither. All speculation still so I don't know anything.

Are you now doubting the veracity of her statement? On what grounds?

Even with what appear to be your UKIP sympathies, for a leader to get voted in by the membership and after 18 days to issue the statement above stating the reasons why she can't be leader is shambolic.

UKIP aren't a protest party any more, they're the third biggest by most polls (around 15% support). As such they and their members deserve better. The Lib Dems would be castigated. If Nicola Sturgeon had only lasted 18 days, the SNP would have been castigated. Labour have been rightly castigated, as has Momentum. UKIP don't deserve special or different treatment.

Are you now doubting the veracity of her statement? On what grounds?
We posted at the same time. The various news sources are still catching up. Chill.
Even with what appear to be your UKIP sympathies, for a leader to get voted in by the membership and after 18 days to issue the statement above stating the reasons why she can't be leader is shambolic.
Either the reason is she doesn't feel she has full support, I don't know about that but neither of us are in her position. Or it is down to health issues. Her "personal reasons" we don't know about that either or how serious they are. Or it is down to being spat on. Given that a woman MP was killed, and some reports suggest Farage quit due to him having death threats maybe that unnerved her. Again I dont know I am not in her position.
UKIP aren't a protest party any more, they're the third biggest by most polls (around 15% support). As such they and their members deserve better.
? You had a problem when I asked if you voted for her. Not entirely unlikely as a few times before the vote didn't you state that you were in favour of Brexit?

"It's the natural order of things (I say this as a Brexit voter)."

"I'm still 90% out but like to question the claims of the Brexit side."

As for "what their members deserve" thanks for being so concerned about us. I'm fine with it. Prior to Brexit I signed up to Labour Leave, Grassroots Out, Leave EU and UKIP. Membership for forces personnel is a fiver. I think I even signed up in blood to something presented by a guy called Abaddon. Anyway I am happy. I'd rather have someone in the job who wants to be there than one who doesn't. Given I voted for Elizabeth Jones maybe she might get in now.
The Lib Dems would be castigated. If Nicola Sturgeon had only lasted 18 days, the SNP would have been castigated. Labour have been rightly castigated, as has Momentum. UKIP don't deserve special or different treatment.
In all those cases wouldn't it depend on the reason? Don't people have the right to leave? I'd like to think she knew what she was getting into regarding the leadership but with the rest I don't know. I'm pretty sure a lot of Labour wishes their guy would quit.

We posted at the same time. The various news sources are still catching up. Chill.
Either the reason is she doesn't feel she has full support, I don't know about that but neither of us are in her position. Or it is down to health issues. Her "personal reasons" we don't know about that either or how serious they are. Or it is down to being spat on. Given that a woman MP was killed, and some reports suggest Farage quit due to him having death threats maybe that unnerved her. Again I dont know I am not in her position.
? You had a problem when I asked if you voted for her. Not entirely unlikely as a few times before the vote didn't you state that you were in favour of Brexit?

"It's the natural order of things (I say this as a Brexit voter)."

"I'm still 90% out but like to question the claims of the Brexit side."

As for "what their members deserve" thanks for being so concerned about us. I'm fine with it. Prior to Brexit I signed up to Labour Leave, Grassroots Out, Leave EU and UKIP. Membership for forces personnel is a fiver. I think I even signed up in blood to something presented by a guy called Abaddon. Anyway I am happy. I'd rather have someone in the job who wants to be there than one who doesn't. Given I voted for Elizabeth Jones maybe she might get in now.
In all those cases wouldn't it depend on the reason? Don't people have the right to leave? I'd like to think she knew what she was getting into regarding the leadership but with the rest I don't know. I'm pretty sure a lot of Labour wishes their guy would quit.

No I had a problem when you jumped down my throat by asking why I was bothered about it whilst asking if I voted for her. I didn't vote for her as I'm not a member of UKIP or any political party.

Going by her statement, the health issues appear to be a minor factor, if they are at all a factor.

As for speculation that Farage possibly getting death threats meant she got unnerved, fair enough but don't stand for leadership if you have doubts.

It looks obvious to me - she wants S Wolfe as leader.

The OP made the position clear - UKIP: shambles, parody, joke.

Therefore @Sonic67 there was no need to respond ;) :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom