Diamond dust on a portrait

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
image.jpg
I saw a really nice picture in the window of a local art gallery of Marilyn Monroe with diamond dust on it called obviously diamonds are a girls best friend. I thought my wife would love that as she loves bling and sparkle see kitchen wallpaper. Well I looked online and the price was £1000 on paper. So I thought if it's that much I may as well commission one of my wife with the same effect. So my questions are, is that a reasonable price for a commission and how easy would adding the diamond dust be?

That's an example of my wife's bling infatuation. Wasn't sure about copyright for the actual picture and you can't see the effect anyway on the website.

I commissioned a picture a few years ago and it cost around £500 by a local artist. It was on a box canvas and was of a local landscape scene. Prices can vary a lot when I was looking especially if the artist is 'well known' in the art community. £1k would not seem unreasonable but depends how much the diamond dust is I suppose.

Isn't diamond dust just a posher (and an excuse to charge more) name for glitter?

Don't you use a pritt stick and sprinkle it over then tilt the picture?

I commissioned a picture a few years ago and it cost around £500 by a local artist. It was on a box canvas and was of a local landscape scene. Prices can vary a lot when I was looking especially if the artist is 'well known' in the art community. £1k would not seem unreasonable but depends how much the diamond dust is I suppose.
Well I was hoping it would be cheaper, for some strange reason on canvas it went up to £2,995? Just reminded me of the 'I could see you coming' Harry Enfield sketch.

Just find an old Christmas card and cut the back off. Job done!

Seriously, you're paying for someone's skill and time. The cost will depend on a combination of both those things, so hard to predict. Is she ok with having her portrait painted? It's not for everyone.

It may be enough on its own. Just adding a sparkly sheen to it, won't necessarily make it better. Maybe discuss with the artist.

But you could have a nice photo of her for very much less. And buy her a diamond ring :D

Just find an old Christmas card and cut the back off. Job done!

Seriously, you're paying for someone's skill and time. The cost will depend on a combination of both those things, so hard to predict. Is she ok with having her portrait painted? It's not for everyone.

It may be enough on its own. Just adding a sparkly sheen to it, won't necessarily make it better. Maybe discuss with the artist.

But you could have a nice photo of her for very much less. And buy her a diamond ring :D
Sorry didn't explain, it was a photo I was talking about. I am thinking I have a mate who spray paints helmets (does all Guy Martins) I might get the photo put on canvas then get him to mix glitter in some clear lacquer and just spray it over.

Last edited:
Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom