1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diamond 9's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cool hand luke, Nov 3, 2004.

1. cool hand luke

cool hand luke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody had a chance to demo the Wharfedale Diamond 9's yet?
    They look :smashin:
    How would they compare againist the Mordaunts?

2. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would also be interested in any thoughts. I'm presently trying to decide between the Diamond 9's, which are the What Hi-Fi's speakers of the year, and the MS 900 range.

For what its worth, when I asked in my local branch of Superfi, the assistant commented that he did not think there were are good as the hype, suggested they had had some faulty ones returned, and recommended a package based on the Mission 30 series as a better option.

3. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Interesting comment on returns. Here in good old Singapore the local Mission dealer is about to drop the entire Mission range, except the high end models, on the basis that they have so many returns of the mid and lo end models it's become embaressing for them to even recommend them to prospective buyers, even when they sound very good in the shop. It appears that this ties in with those that are manufactured for Mission in places such as China, and those that are crafted back in the UK. :confused: Are there similar experiences in the UK, I wonder?

4. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a quick listen to the 9.1's - first off, they look stunning! Really good wood finish veneer, nice curves...utterly gorgeous.

As for the sound, well I didn't listen to them for long, but first impressions were good.

Not as bassy as something like the Monitor Audio B2, but if you've got a sub to carry on where they leave off, who cares?!?

I'll be having a proper listen to them this weekend hopefully, just waiting for the local hifi shop to re-wire their listening room... will let you know how I get on

5. cool hand luke

cool hand luke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be interested in your findings Aliflack,as this speaker package is still not available over here in Ireland and the wholesaler is uncertain if he will have them by December.Its the 5.1 system that im interested in which includes the sub.

6. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunately the dealer is next to useless when it comes to AV stuff - the listening room just isn't big enough for surround sound!

I doubt if they'll have the centre speakers to be honest, but I'll ask especially for ya! :thumbsup:

7. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I had a more careful listen to the 9.1s and also the 9.0s today.

First off, the 9.0s don't share the same curvaceous styling of their bigger brothers, slightly disappointing tbh. But its the sound that counts, and they sounded pretty similar to the 9.1's, yeah not quite so much bass, but they do pluck out some pretty low notes considering their size.

As for the 9.1s, they still sound good. Compared to the MS 902's they sound pretty identical. I prefered the mid range of the 902's, feeling it was slightly cloudy in the Wharfedales. Close call though...

Then I listened to them against the MA B2's - in this test the Wharfedales fared much better. They made the B2's sound overblown on bass and low/mid-range. Plus the 9.1s look sooooo much better than the vinyl wrap of the B2's

Didn't get to listen to the centres unfortunately :thumbsdow

Hope that helps!

8. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused.

Are the Diamond 9.1 and the Diamond 9 Series in general, real wood veeners? Or are they vinyl laminates?

I was under the impression all Diamond 9 Series are vinyl laminates.

What's the deal with this? When I spoke with someone at IAG, I was told they are all Vinyl laminates.

9. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the B2's are obviously vinyl - really plasticky looking and not a convincing 'wood', the Wharfedales by comparison looking very realistic - not sure if it is a real wood veneer or not, but they look real enough for me!

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    They are not real wood - the evolution series are though.

11. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As are the Opus series.......real wood-veener

12. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm it's vinyl or something, a small piece was torn from the bottom of 9.1, when I lifted it. It was attached to TV with a two-sided tape, too strong I see, especially when TV heats up the glue becomes superstrong. Some kind of mdf under the vinyl. Luckily, the mark on the speaker can't be seen!

13. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I heard the 9.4 with 9cs center and 9.1 rears and I found them very good for the price!!!! I couldn't believe the price!

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I heard these at the recent What Hi-Fi show and was very impressed. As you said Falp, great value for money.

They got 4 stars in this months What Hi-Fi magazine.

15. rombi

rombi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I recently aquired the 9.4 and 9.1 modles as part of a package deal, long with the centre speaker. At first i was a bit hesitant as the 9.4 received only 3/5 in a What Hi-Fi group test. While auditioning both in store i could understand exactly where the reviewer was coming from (claiming that the 9.1 on a good stand would leave the 9.4 dead). The salesman reasures me that both had been run in for over a month so my concern about run in is soon seen to. Somehow the 9.4 seems not to project the sound out and at you, but the sound somehow seemes to get lost within the speaker enclosure. This leaves me puzzled. How could Wharfedale get it so wrong. the 9.1 is singing whereas the 9.4 is struggling to breath probaly.

it then dawns on me that these are floorstanders designed for small (smaller) rooms (only on mid/bass driver, as oppose to the 2 on the 9.5 and 9.6).

Well, where is the obvious place to place a floorstander in a small room? Well the corners is where most people would squeeze it in. So to the corners they go and WOW. The once timid 9.4 are transformed. The bass seems to appear form nowhere, suddenly there's a soundstage where there there once was almost none. Now after spending what now seems an eternity in forums like these, these little honeys contradictes everything I thought I had learnd about speaker placement.

It seems that the guys at wharfedale actually got the sums right after all.

Floorstander + small room = corner placement = 9.4 = floorstander for small room. :smashin: :smashin:

I am now a hugely satisfied and proud owner of both the 9.1 and 9.4.

:D :D