1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diamond 9.1 opinions please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ronan1, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Sick of not finding anything other than "What hi-fi sound and visions" review on these Wharfedale speakers. Thinking of using 2 pairs of them to go front and surround with my diamond centre and SW150 sub. Can pick them up for £120 a pair where I live.

Read a German magazine the other day that gave them 4/10 and got a fright!!

Got a 20m2 room and don't know how large I need to go to fill it with decent sound and if indeed they would be enough or should I keep saving for something heftier. Amp is a Denon 1604. Yes, I am a bargain hunter!

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'm looking at buying a Diamond 9.1 surround system. I demoed these at 7 oaks & I was very impressed, very detailed with excellent imaging & nice tone.
    I mainly demoed the 9.1's as a stereo pair with music. Once we had added
    a bit of sub the 9.1's gave a much larger extended sound. the only others I'm
    considering are the Monitor audio B2's, which I'm going to demo soon.

However, your room sounds pretty big & I think you will probably want a bigger system with floor standers. I think your sub will go with many other systems, but of course your center may not be well matched if you don't buy wharfedales.

3. Mundu

Mundu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have these but in stereo and they sound great to my but they are part of my first serious bit of kit and I havn't really had much experience with anything else.

I would agree that you're room does sound a bit big so you'd be better off with some decent floorstanders instead.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Personally I find the Wharfedale speakers a bit dull and muffled sounding, a good alternative that won't break the bank would be the Epos ELS3s. The only isssue is that you already have a Wharfdale centre channel speaker and you should really keep all of them matched apart from the subwoofer.

5. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks guys, don't mind changing my centre as it is the old diamond 8 and picked it up at a snip. Any more sugggestions on centre and fronts would be appreciated. Also considered bi-pole for the rear as this system will be dedicated to movies only. Anyone tested reasonably priced pair recently?

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Another thumbsup for the Epos- very nice unit indeed. The wharfedale can sound good but needs bright electronics or as Crusty says it sounds a bit safe.

7. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if you want to stick to Wharfedale the kit in my Sig is OK the DFS18's are a bipole design and work well without being obtrusive. The Pacific Evos are excellent I tried the 8's 10's and 20's before finding the 30's and would not hesitate to recommend them. The Diamond 9 is fine as a centre speaker and they all share a common sound whach has been alread mentioned is worth sticking to unless you are prepared to do a lot of auditioning to find a good match from another maker.

8. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks Andy, appreciate your input, will test them when I can!

9. pipbull

pipbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of 9.1's.

Sound superb with all types of music. I have them on home made MDF stands sand filled and very heavy. Used with Aura amp (50w).

They can be charecterised as being extremely dynamic in their frequency range,and superb detail with a very balanced tonal range.....probably as what hi-fi said!

About to add a subwoofer as there bass is excellent but obviously limited in LF extension for their size.

Phil

10. Mundu

Mundu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What he said! I have mine teamed up with a Azur 540A and it is my first seperates system I am very impressed but so many people saying Wharfedale and CA are rubbish ect. keeps me wondering what I'm missing out on as I had no other choice but to buy my system "blind".

11. bumblebee

bumblebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this Stereoplay? I don't understand German but it seems like it's a positive review. There's a "Stereoplay Highlight" in there. Maybe the high marks are intended for the real high-end speakers.

12. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Yes, it was stereoplay but it still seemed very low even taking into account the fact they would reserve high points for high end products. Bought Epos ELS 3's in the end anyway. Just waiting to upgrade my amp!

13. bumblebee

bumblebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stereoplay's Compact Speaker of the Year, the Dali Concept 2 have the same scores as the 9.1's in 3 (of 4?) categories.

Btw, congrats on the ELS3's.