Diamond 10.1's on Apollo SR150 stands

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sonysean, Jan 1, 2012.

1. sonysean

sonysean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Im interested in buying the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers to replace my current fronts, and would also like to buy the Apollo SR150 speaker stands, though im abit concerned if they will be big enough to hold the 10.1's without any problems.

Here are the stands:
    Superfi - APOLLO SR150 SPEAKER STANDS (PAIR)

And the speakers:
    Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

The dimensions of the speakers are 194mm(W) / 278mm(D) and the stands are only 150mm(W) / 125mm(D).

I don't think the width difference would be a problem but im abit worried about the depth as that's quite a difference, but am new to speaker stands so am not 100% sure if they'd be ok or not.

The reason I'd prefer to get the Apollo SR150's as I like that you can adjust the height of them as I like to have the fronts abit higher than you pheraps usually would as they look alot better like that in this room, and other stands of a similar price range are alot lower.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And Happy New Year :)

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    The size of the top plate will be fine. Pretty much all speakers will be bigger than most stand top plates. I would be worried about how sturdy those stands would be. You want a firm base for the speaker to get the best sound. The one single column does not look very solid especially since it is adjustable. Fixed stands would be much better. You can buy a variety if heights if you want something taller and will not cost a lot more than the ones you mention. In my mind it is better to spend £20 or so more for a solid stand that will give you the best sound from your speakers. If rears you may have been ok but since this is for the fronts you really want a solid base. How high do you want to go? How far are you from your fronts? Too high will not sound the best since the fronts hold be at ear level from viewing location.

3. sonysean

sonysean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I'd like to go to about 108-109cm in height, and im pretty close (about about 5'5" away).

I've found higher stands but can't find any as high as that, not for under £100 anyway.

Thankyou for replying :)

4. sonysean

sonysean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thinking about it pretty much all day I've also thought about getting these floorstanders instead:
    Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.MT COLUMN SPEAKERS (PAIR)

I've never owned any floorstanders though so was just curious what people here thought would be the better option out of getting the Diamond 10.1 bookshelf speakers or the Diamond 10.MT floorstanders?

Cheers.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    I'm curious why you would need your speaker over a Meter high. Typically you want the tweeters near ear level. With 1 meter stands, that is going to place the tweeters are about 1040mm high.

The Apollo stands are likely intended for smaller Rear/Side surround speakers, and not for larger front speaker. I would be concerned about the stability of them with a full size bookshelf speaker. It would seem they would be very top heavy and easily tipped over. I would go to the Apollo website and see if there are any size or weight limits to the speakers they can handle.

As to the Diamond 10.MT, if this is the front end in a full 5.1 system, they should do a pretty good job. However, if these are the front end in a Music/Stereo based system, I would be slightly concerned that they only have two 4" bass drivers and bass response of 55hz. That's not bad, that would be typical of a common bookshelf speaker. Someone in the group, though I don't know the post, bought a complete 5.1 speaker system based on the 10.MT and was thrilled with the result for the money.

Again, you haven't given us enough information to understand what system you are using these speakers with, and the intent and purpose of the system. The more we know, the better we can respond.

Is this Stereo or Surround Sound?

What other equipment do you currently have, or plan to immediately get?

How big is the room?

Primarily Music or Video?

Finally, the Diamond 10.1 implies a budget, but it would be better if you simply told us what your budget was for this upgrade?

Though I have no knowledge or experience with this company, Home AV Direct has stunningly low prices on Wharfedale Speakers, if we assume the listed price is for a Pair -

Home AV Direct: LCD TVs | Plasma TVs | Blue Ray & DVD Players | DAB radios and more

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  6. sonysean

sonysean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Because the room im in is pretty small (especially for a 5.1 setup) having the usual lower speaker stands I think would just look silly, and because I would be pretty close they wouldn't be near ear level at all.

Sorry, I forgot to list my other gear in my original post, as I'd forgotten I no longer have it in my signature on here.

Surround Sound 5.1

My AV receiver is an Onkyo 508.
    And I currently have some Sony speakers from a home cinema bundle from quite a few years back for my fronts, rears and centre.

At the moment im just looking for the fronts, but I also plan to replace my centre and rears with these:
    Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.CM CENTRE SPEAKER
    Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.0 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

My room is 10ft7" by 7ft6".

Both really, though my Onkyo would get used for mainly video/surround sound which includes PS3, Blu-ray and Sky.

I'd really like to spend no more than about £210-£220 to get the front speakers sorted, which includes stands if I go for the bookshelf ones.

Thanks I shall have a look around on there aswell.

And thankyou very much for all your other info and help :)

I think im leaning toward more the bookshelf's, as I'd just prefer them over the floorstanders really, but am just not fully sure what to do about the stands.

7. sonysean

sonysean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I contacted Apollo and asked what the maximum recommended weight was for the SR150 stands I want, and they replied today saying 7.5Kg which is good news as the Diamond 10.1's apparently weigh 5.2Kg.

Have now ordered the speakers and stands from Superfi.

:)

8. sonysean

sonysean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Got my Diamond 10.1 speakers and the Apollo stands today :)

The speakers are fantastic and the stands are of good quality, and seem to hold the speakers pretty well!

Am extremely pleased with my purchases, and now look forward to getting the new centre and rear speakers sorted :D

9. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Are you going to give us a Picture,then?

K.

10. sonysean

sonysean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Sure :)
    You'll have to excuse the crappy photography skills though :D

Left
    [​IMG]

Right
    [​IMG]

The centre speaker looks abit out of place now :D

11. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Cheers,:smashin:

Always useful for someone else in a similar position.

K.