Diamond 10.1 fronts with Minx rears - advice need quick

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gav_sw20, Feb 25, 2013.

1. gav_sw20

gav_sw20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I move into my new place at the weekend and have to sort the cabling out through walls / flooring as soon as I move in.

I have the Diamond 10.1 fronts which I am very impressed with and have managed to track down a 10.CM for the centre.

I desperately need some small white rears - would the Cambridge Audio Minx range suffice and if so which of these is best (bearing in mind they are for surround only)...

MIN11
    • 50w
    • 8ohms
    • £60

MIN21
    • 75w
    • 8ohms
    • £100

2. PatrickVogeli

PatrickVogeli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. gav_sw20

gav_sw20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hallo,

Thanks for this but I am looking for some really small speakers.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen.

4. PatrickVogeli

PatrickVogeli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ah ok, I think I underestimated the Minx21 size.. those are really tiny. Anyway, between the 11 and the 21, I'd get the 21 any day!

5. gav_sw20

gav_sw20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Yes that's what I'm looking for just wondered if they will match the fronts at all thats my concern.

6. PatrickVogeli

PatrickVogeli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I doubt they will match your fronts... I even doubt how you will make it all blend together. Some questions about your system:

Do you have a subwoofer? Which one?
    Does your receiver allow you to set different crossover points for all your speakers?
    How far away will the surrounds be from the listening area?

7. gav_sw20

gav_sw20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hi,

As follows...

Do you have a subwoofer? Which one?
    No - not yet but I will be purchasing a BK XLS200 very soon

Does your receiver allow you to set different crossover points for all your speakers?
    I have the TEAC AG-D2000 which has a speaker set-up tool on it, on assumes this would take care of the crossover ?

How far away will the surrounds be from the listening area?
    They will be be mounted on the wall that the sofa backs on to, I guess around 20cm each side at ear level.

8. PatrickVogeli

PatrickVogeli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    With the subwoofer you will be fine. Without the subwoofer, those Minx speakers are of no use.

About the receiver, I have no idea if the TEAC allows to set up different crossover points for all your speakers. I'll doubt it, as not all receivers allow it. Pioneers don't, Sony don't, for example. I think denon do. You'll to find that out.

If your receiver doesn't allow to setup the crossover for the different zones (Fronts, Center and surrounds) you will have a problem. The Minx should be crossed over at 140Hz (according to Cambridge audio), while your Wharfedale should be fine with a much lower crossover (80-90 should be fine). That means that, if you setup your crossover to 80Hz, your surrounds will have a gap between aprox. 80 and 130Hz (range which can't be reproduced by the Minx's).

On the other hand, if you setup the crossover to 140Hz, the Minx will be fine, but you aren't making a good use of your Wharfedales.

Of course, if you can set the crossover points for each zone, set the Fronts and center to 80 or 90 and the surrounds to 140 and problem solved (partly)

9. gav_sw20

gav_sw20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    OK that makes sense, but with the list you've given what do :) I suppose Onkyo, CA, Yamaha.

I must admit I though that as I only want them for surround purposes that I wouldn't need anything too expensive. I thought rears only really took care of special effects in TV an movies !?!

Also, why will they not work without a sub ? I thought a lot of the bass came from the fronts ?