1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dialogue Sync Problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andyp, Jan 18, 2001.

1. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Sony 725 DVD player connected via a digital co-axial cable to my recently purchased Sony 940DB AV amp. The DVD player to TV link is via a high quality Scart cable. On several DVDs I have noticed dialogue sync problems, which is usually cured by stopping the disc and restarting. I have had to do this 2 or 3 times on two films recently (Enemy of the State and Human Traffic), if it’s relevant - this occurred on the first layer (ie first half of the film), coincidence?

I never had this problem when I played DVDs straight through the TV, ie no external amplifier.

Any ideas?

Andy P.

2. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a common problem with 725. Mine
    does the same too. Your player requires a
    firmware upgarde.

Mine does it so infrequently that I havn't felt the need to get mine fixed.

3. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Mike

Actually today, while in a hi-fi shop I mentioned it, and was told just that - a software upgrade is required.

Anybody had it done or know what's involved?

Andy P.

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I got mine done about a year ago. They had to change the multi region mod chip at the same time. It worked a treat though.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    andy p.
    I too own a Sony 725 dvd and a Sony 940 receiver.I had some intermittent problems with lip sync but only happening very rarely.I read a procedure from the Techtronics Site which I tried with a degree of success because lip sync problems have practically gone away.I quote"Run auto calibration on machine....with the machine turned off,on standby,press the following three buttons..TITLE...CLEAR...POWER...
    The menu will come up on the t.v.Select the appropriate button number for 'auto adjust'.
    The machine basically does it all.It asks you to select a single layer or double layer disc(whatever your offending disc is).It ejects the tray,asks you to put your disc in and then calibrates it.(It's over in about half a second.)It then asks you to press a few more buttons then it's all over.(unquote)
    This apparently re-aligns the laser.However as the Techtronics site points out it is done at your own risk...
    Good Luck
    martinc

6. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also suffered from the same problem. Fortuneately I was able to have it upgraded to 2.8 under warrenty, which was carried out by Leading Edge Concepts, who I bought it from. So far no problems.

7. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks again guys. One more question...... ;-)

Anybody know if Sony will update the firmware/software on a machine that is more than 12 months old, like mine?

Andy P.

8. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would say so Andy, but it will probably cost you. Contact you local sony service dealer.