Dialogue soundbar for £300-£400

hibiscrub

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have an older 50inch samsung (non Arc HDMI) ...will upgrade at some point.

Need a not too wide (90cm or less ideally) Soundbar +/- subwoofer.

In order of priorities
1. Dialogue (wife)
2. Simple to use (wife)
2. Films/TV sound effects/soundstage (me)

On reading... Sony HT X8500 (£250) or Yamaha YAS 207/9 ( £350 with subwoofer but 15% discount currently) or Sony HT G700 (£299).

The X8500 is cheaper but sounded good in Currys.
Sonos Beam - I like, but more at £400 and as no arc would prefer a remote.
The reviews on here re: the Sony units didnt sound too positive, but not sure if the expectations were too high re atmos.

Many thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts
F

Have an older 50inch samsung (non Arc HDMI) ...will upgrade at some point.

Need a not too wide (90cm or less ideally) Soundbar +/- subwoofer.

In order of priorities
1. Dialogue (wife)
2. Simple to use (wife)
2. Films/TV sound effects/soundstage (me)

On reading... Sony HT X8500 (£250) or Yamaha YAS 207/9 ( £350 with subwoofer but 15% discount currently) or Sony HT G700 (£299).

The X8500 is cheaper but sounded good in Currys.
Sonos Beam - I like, but more at £400 and as no arc would prefer a remote.
The reviews on here re: the Sony units didnt sound too positive, but not sure if the expectations were too high re atmos.

Many thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts
F
you wont get great atmos for your budget just potentially a larger soundstage. have you looked at the new sharp atmos soundbar? slightly more than your budget but offers a better atmos solution, failing that yamaha are very solid performers.

I have both the Sony ht-g700 and the Sonos Beam. If I were in your position I would definitely get the beam.

The price on the Sony is dropping like a stone but it’s for a reason. Also the beam has held its value for a reason too.

However the beam was £300 on Black Friday so if you hold fire you might find a deal in the new year.

many thanks
I had thought about the sonos but (unless i am incorrect)
as no arc hdmi i will have to use the sonos remote app on my phone to control ie a bit of a faff!

many thanks
I had thought about the sonos but (unless i am incorrect)
as no arc hdmi i will have to use the sonos remote app on my phone to control ie a bit of a faff!
Do you mean no ARC on TV? Does it have optical out? If so the Beam has an HDMI to SPDIF adaptor AFAIK

no arc on tv.
does have optical.
i thought that means my tv remote wont be able to change volume.
my wife wont tolerate having to use her phone to control volume
thanks

i thought that means my tv remote wont be able to change volume.
Ah I see... probably not as there is no CEC. According to the FAQ Alexa voice control of TV doesn’t work either when connected with optical so kind of makes sense......

however SONOS says the TV remote can control the Beam

At least I think it does..... the TV remote requirements link repeats that no voice control is possible with optical but doesn’t say the TV remote won’t work with it.... in fact it says IR remotes work

@tom 2000 - I think you have the Beam? Do you know if the TV remote can be used if using the optical adaptor?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom