1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dialogue problems ? Help needed.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by karkus30, Oct 26, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I could do with a bit of help.

Get out your Jurassic Park DVD, region 1 or 2, DTS or not it doesnt matter.

Chapter 2 begins with the Badlands dinosaur dig, during the dialogue, can you make out every word, clear as a bell ? or is it slightly indistinct and maybe showing signs of sibilance? be critical, Im not asking if you can make out the words, just the quality.

Right, those with The Butterfly Effect on Region 2. THX gave it an 8 for sound quality with all the dialogue being rich and easy to hear. Everyone concur?

I have tried everything, but no way do I think either of these films has clear dialogue. So either theres something wrong in my system or Im expecting too much.

I tried swapping DVD players, just to see if there was any difference, but it was identical.

The system consists : Denon 2900 with proper 75 ohm digital co ax, Denon AVC10SE amp. Matched front speakers at the front, high quality bookshelf size Neat Petites with the correct centre speaker. Everything on stands and at the correct heights, connected with QED SA cable. Sub is an SVS PC Ultra with a BFD all calibrated and balanced. Rears are Energy. Video is by prog outputs to a Sanyo PLV30 PJ.

Pure CD sounds fine and is better still via the analogue outputs of the player into the direct connections of the amp (a la SACD ).

I tried a Phillips 962SA in place of the Denon, but there was no obvious difference.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Bump.......no one :eek: thanks :rolleyes:

3. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Karkus,

Tried my JP R1 DTS last night and couldn't notice any problems. However, I had to keep the sound low as my kids were in bed. I'll try it again louder at the weekend and let you know.

Don't have Butterfly Effect so can't try that - sorry.

Cheers,
    Steve

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Thanks for the reply. I can make out what they are saying, but its not clear, sort of like the sound quality of a very quiet recording, but with the volume cranked up,

It certainly doesnt sound smooth and you have to really listen to catch every word. The really difficult part is where they are all standing around the computer screen. Ive tried it on region 1 and 2 and DTS and THX engaged and not engaged and its been through different speakers and different DVD player. Only the amp and digital connection left in the loop :confused:

Are you saying the dialogue is clear as a bell ??

5. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, it was clear on my copy and my set-up, but as stated, at relatively low volume. I'll try it again at a slightly higher volume and see if I notice anything amiss.

6. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Tried it again this evening at more realistic levels -- no problems at all (played the whole chapter). Dialogue was clear, even when they are mumbling while grouped around the computer screen.

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Thanks again Steve. I tried my R2 copy on a friends system, he doesnt use the amp for decoding, just uses the six channel inputs and it sounded reasonably clear, slightly compressed, but not as bad as my system sounds :confused: Im struggling to figure out whats up, by deduction it would appear to be the amplifier or the coax lead ??

Anyone else ??