Dialogue Problem On A Pioneer Dvd Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NOTORIOUS LEE, Oct 18, 2004.

1. NOTORIOUS LEE

NOTORIOUS LEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am after some advice if someone can help.

I have a Pioneer DV-737 DVD player of which I have had for about 3 years now but am thinking of upgrading.

The reason I am thinkin of upgrading is because everytime I watch a DVD I am finding it difficult to hear the dialogue even though I have my centre channel volume higher than my surrounds to try to compensate.

It is a pain because I am increasing the master volume when theres talk but when the effects kick in I have to keep turning it down.

So I am thinkin this may be a problem with my DVD player.

Has anyone had this experience before & if so can you give me some advice?

Thanks

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this would normally be an amp problem or speaker problem (less likely) rather than the DVD

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,996
    Agreed; unlikely to be a DVD player problem. One option you may want to consider, is using the audio DRC setting on your 737 (in the player setup menu). Personally, I prefer such setting best left "off" so that the true dynamic range recorded on the disc is played back as intended. However, if you are (for whatever reason) finding it necessary to constantly adjust the volume you can automate this process with this setting. Audio DRC reduces the difference between quiet and loud sounds.

4. NOTORIOUS LEE

NOTORIOUS LEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What makes me think it is a DVD problem is I have an XBOX console hooked up to my amp & the games are played in dolby digital & the problem doesn't seem to be there.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Do you have a discrete dialogue channel in Xbox games. Don't get me wrong, I know Xbox games are in 5.1 but I doubt they are encoded with discrete dialogue like a DVD film.

Don't really know what I'm talking about here :D but it seems unusual to compare an Xbox game's audio to a DVD film's audio.