1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dialogue Normalization & DRC

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bob007, Mar 1, 2003.

1. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a link sent to me from Jase the other day, have just read it, found it very interesting.

Basically what it is saying is, those that have their systems calibrated to reference level but listen to the soundtracks at lower levels could be missing out on some of the soundtrack.

We have had a few threads lately in where members are having difficulty with dialogue levels, using the DRC function on the amp may go some way to solving this. All is explained in the link below.

I gave it a go last night, set DRC to Low, have a go and see what you think. ;)

Any other views on this are welcome?

Dialogue Normalization (DRC)

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    It really is worth trying the various settings for DRC (Dynamic Range Control), especially if you struggle to hear dialogue and are constantly turning the volume level up to hear it & down when there are explosions etc.

Dialogue Normalisation isn´t usually an adjustable feature, most decoders sort it out by themselves, some processors may have this as a selectable feature though.

Anyway, have a read of the info in the link above in Bobs post, everything is explained more clearly.:)

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gave the DRC feature another go last night, this time with Preator (DTS).

Set DRC to Low and volume to -20, sound track was definitely more dynamic. Thought this movie was a good test as most of the movie is set in the jungle, heard sounds that I have never heard before. At around 36/37mins a fly can be heard very clearly from various speakers, set DRC to off and 90% of it disappears. The same can be said for all the subtle sound effects, everything seemed so crisp and clear, I never knew there were so many insects on this soundtrack. Then there's the music score, 1hr 03mins into the movie the music builds up to a crescendo, with the DRC switched off the impact weakened. The raid on the camp was utterly brilliant, from the HF to the LF everything was there, sound placements seemed to be better enhanced as well.

So how much information have I been missing? With my system set at reference level and listening to it at lower volumes quite a bit from the looks of things. :)

Never paid much attention to the DRC function on the amp, thought it was one of those added features that were best left off, but from what I have heard over the past couple of nights I will definitely give it more attention. ;)

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    What receiver are you using bob?

I have DRC on my pending 2011, I thought it would be useful for when my parents were watching movies, pehaps I will get more use out of it than anticipated.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Denon 3801.

Give it a go, I was impressed with the results. ;)

6. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty new to all of this, does -20 mean that you have set the volume 20dB below your reference level?

Mike

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    YES - as long as you have calibrated all speakers to 75db at Zero on the Amp.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    As to reference level and DRC

I use DRC so I can here the actors talking, a lot of films have very loud explosions to deafen neighbours and get complaints, then suddenly the actors whisper and you can't hear them without greatly increasing volume.

I like to set the volume to what I like, loudish but not too loud, not what someone else has decided (ie why can't I have quieter than reference!).

Everything is a comprimise with HC, we generally have better sound than cinemas but at a lower level, we also have children, and a lot of us also use the living room.

The explosions in Band of Brothers were fine as the voices were not too quiet - but I still jumped when the shells landed!!!!

9. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DRC certainly is useful in these circumstances, but given the choice between listening at low level with DRC or cranking your amp up which would you choose? Be honest now!:D

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    -20db is not what I call low volume. Don't think there is many here that listen to movies at reference level.

IMO -15/-10 would have to be the cut off point for using DRC, any higher than that, then I would say that DRC set to off would be the better option.

I personally have no need to use the other options on the DRC function, Med & High, as listening to much lower levels would be needed to select these. But anyone listening to these lower levels should give it a go, it really does make a difference and will enhance your viewing. ;)

11. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only joking Bob, lighten up!;)

12. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm ok, didn't take any offence to your post. ;)

Sorry if my reply came across that way. :)