1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diagonal lines on PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andah, Nov 10, 2004.

1. andah

andah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PLEASE HELP

I have read loads of threads but can't see any that relate to this problem.
    Please not this is my first plasma screen and I am no expert!!!

The set up is this :- Panasonic TH-PWD6BX, DVD connected via s-vid and Skybox connected via scart. All the sound goes via 5.1 amp.

The problem is this: When viewing sky there are diagonal lines that see to move from right to left. They are only fine lines but they are only really obvious on red backgrounds and are real bad on artificial backgrounds (adverts and the red on sky news). The sky output is on RGB. The dvd signal is fine.

thanks in advance for your help

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    might be the quality of the cable being used.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    is sky set to RGB?

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you are viewing a composite picture, turn Sky to RGB

you only think you are viewing RGB, trouble is on the SCART terminal boards
    they switch automatically, the diagonal crawl is a feature of composite signals.

5. andah

andah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I should have said - I have already turned the output to RGB in the Sky Picture settings menu.

Do I have to change it on the plasma as well?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i cant remember if you have to manually set scart for RGB, give that a go see if there is an option

7. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    FWIW I have noticed these occasional faint diagonal lines with the scart terminal board with RGB (both with Sky and DVD). I don't think you have to set the TV to RGB as the terminal should automatically recognise an RGB signal.. i guess it's a design flaw in the scart board, to be honest panasonic should have developed a much better one. :rolleyes:

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I would check cabling, specifically electrical/radio interference...

9. bodders

bodders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a well known problem with the panny 6
    scart board. To clear the picture of the lines you need to get a scart rgb to vga adapter box and connect using
    the vga port.

10. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    In my set up I still get this effect and am using QED Reference and IXOS scarts. It is only ever noticable if you are less than a metre from the plasma, still annoying though and you would expect Panasonic to produce a better scart board, afterall RGB should not look worse than S-video.

11. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    How can I say this nicely.......
    You are watching a COMPOSITE picture, the diagonal lines are colour sub-carrier
    that has not been completely removed by the digital comb filter. IT doesn't appear on RGB signals. (yes it is always most noticable on red)
    Many people say the SCART board is not very good. NOT TRUE!
    muppets watching a composite picture and thinking they are watching a RGB picture are the only people giving the SCART terminal board a bad name.

1 Some people fail to setup RGB properly on the Sky menu
    2 Some people turn RGB off by pressing the TV button on the sky remote (press SKY and it returns)
    3 Some people don't have a fully wired scart lead
    4 Some people have a Quintro and don't realise input 1 only switches composite signals
    5 Some people plug their scart leads into the wrong scart socket on their sky box (only 1 gives RGB out)

....hang on a minute, why bother, go out and spend another £125 on a JS box, that won't let you use a composite signal, you just get a black screen. Yes it is a design fault, panasonic should have had their panels display a big COMPOSITE label onscreen when peeps are viewing a composite picture, but I guess they grossly overestimated the IQ of their customers.

12. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Sorry but I am not watching a composite feed and can notice the faint diagonal lines occasionally but as said only right up next to the screen. I have tried it with Sky and DVD via RGB, the picture is pretty decent with Scart and I am mostly happy but you still got those faint diagonal lines occasionally. That's why i use component for DVD and scart for Sky now.

13. andah

andah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pj - the output in the sky menu has been set to RGB. I don't touch the TV button on Sky remote once set. I don't have quintro, and have tried both the scart sockets on the back of the sky box. I have also tried 2 scart leads but all give the same result.

I have the Scart input board in slot 1 (input 1). Does this matter? I have notice that in the set up menu under Input 1 I am unable to make a selection between RGB and component - the box ix blank. The Instructions say: 'Selection may not be possible, depending on which optional board is installed.' I have the scart board in 1 and a composite/component board in 2 & 3 and that is the only possible combination as the scart board can't go into 3.

14. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Bit strong pj.
    Surley there can be other causes of lines on the picture other than this :confused:
    When I am watching sky one, on the adverts when there is a plain grey or red back ground I can make out faint lines of interference in the picture. It is an rgb signal, the plasma says so in the corner :p Is this not down to sky not given a damn about broadcast signal quality.
    By the way My plasma is a Vierra which is basicly a panasonic pw6 with extra bells and whistles :D

15. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    the fine diagonal crawly lines are always there on composite pictures
    and especially visable on reds, there are other types of problems that
    can give lines, but the ones described on the top of this thread are
    pretty distinctive, and there is only one cause of them.

I have the JS box ond the scart board on my panny, and when I first got it
    connected sky to the JS and to the scart, so I could view the "soft scart"
    and the JS signal side by side. Why am I seeing CSC lines on the SCART
    input, I asked myself? Swap round the 2 leads and the JS box is black but
    doesn't say no signal......answer, I'm only feeding composite on one of the
    scarts. Most peeps don't know what CSC lines look like so never know they
    are viewing compostite signals, but they are.

Yes the panny SCART looks "soft" when viewing composite, with crawly lines
    the pannys SCART looks very good when viewing RGB, so good that only a trained eye could tell the difference, betreen it and a JS box picture. Even then only when you can compare both side by side.

The "my scart terminal board gives a soft picture" is ALWAYS because they are looking at a composite signal. (look for the crawly diagonal lines)

16. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

If you are okay with using DVD (check all the panny scart inputs with your DVD) then i would say that it is your Sky box that is at fault.

What Digibox are you using?

I have found that the sky boxes get diagonal lines when the are of age and the caps start leaking voltage!!

Something to think about!

Maybe upgrade to Sky+!

Hope that helps.

Cheers! :smashin:

17. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry Pj but there's definately something besides the composite answer going on here,

I too have noticed slight diagonal interference from time to time, and before you ask yes my sky box is set to RGB, even happened with a QED "RGB only" wired scart lead, so there ;)

I suspect there's some other type of interference creeping in here, Its only a very mild effect now and again, but annoying none the less.

Spook

18. andah

andah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far I've been told it could be :

1. A dodgy Scart cable
    2.Bad input board
    3. Interference (i have since moved everything around the room but still the same)
    4. Old sky box
    5. That I'm stupid - This is the only thing I'm sure about!!!

I just spoke to the sales guy I bought it from and he said that could simply be bad Sky signal???

Still no closer and woryingly my eyes seem to be getting used to it!

19. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I have had one thought. I still think interference of some form is likely, moving things around wouldn't change it more disconnecting items to narrow it down to the problematic component. However I think the problem does lie in the Sky box. My thoughts are that it could be picking up interference from another component connected to it, or electrical interference from mains ring or more likely from the dish and cabling to the box. We have once or twice installed an interference surpressor onto the coax running from Sky box to dish. A simple filter that diminishes interference and reduces distortion in lower frequencies, might help and is only 20 quid wasted if it doesn't! (made a difference to my place)

20. imilne

imilne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I see this problem too, and it's definitely *NOT* related to it being a composite signal (though that's not to say you wouldn't see it via composite obviously).

I see the very faint diagonal "interference" lines with an xbox, ps2 and gamecube, all connected via official RGB leads from the respective manufacturers. They get swapped through a switcher box that handles RGB for sure, then onto the plasma via a QED RGB only scart lead (that I bought to see if it could reduce the interference...could it heck). The picture quality itself though is excellent (I don't find it too soft) - I can normally spot a composite signal a mile away on other peoples' TVs.

I've tried each input on its own, with nothing else plugged in or nearby, in case something else was causing interference, but the lines just won't go away. So what's stopping me trying the JS converter thingy? I'll lose the "Just" mode [1], which I'm afraid I like for playing games. Minority opinion it may be, but I don't like playing 4:3 games with borders, but if they have to be stretched, I'd rather the plasma stretched them with its Just mode, as I think the results are perfectly acceptable (to me, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters).

If only the sodding interference lines weren't there though...

Iain

[1] unless I'm wrong about this in which case I may be willing to give it a try

21. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a simliar problem with lines that nobody could seem to clear up in another post! The lines I get a vertical though and constant - they also tend to be more noticeable to the right of the screen.
    I have tried checking the scart lead, and when I connect my sky+ to my old tv there are no lines. This left me thinking it was either the panel itself or the scart board - but when I tried moving my dvd player from component to scart there were no lines?!? :confused:
    What slot is the best place to house the scart board? I have mine in slot 2 (component in 1) and i'm aware the scart doesn't work through slot 3. Has anyone been able to eliminate lines by fitting their board in a different slot?