1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diagonal lines across an AE500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stripe, Aug 23, 2004.

1. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi Guys

I've had my projector for a couple of months now and I have and still am loving using it, but it seems to have developed a problem which I hope someone can cast a bit of light on.

I'm getting diagonal lines running from the right hand top corner across and down to the opposite corner of what could be descibed as a sort of jaggedy interference, it's ditracting more than anything else. Please tell me this isn't the dreaded verical banding I've been hearing so much about. It comes and goes a few times throughout a film and pretty much you can't miss it, maybe there for 30 minutes and gone for 10 so it's not as though it's somehting I'm forcing myself to see within the picture.

I have recently moved my DVD player (Limit DVDA900Se) into a new but I can't see any problems there, I'm running a component cables from the back of the player staight into the projector.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    From your description it's not VB - sounds more like a cabling issue, or something from the dvd player - have you the chance to try out a different dvd player, or connect it through Svideo or Composite - any kind of interconnect would do for Composite just to test it.

Sean.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My first suggestion, as theritz would be cabling - perhaps some crosstalk or electrical interference, or a hum loop.

As an experiment, try placing the DVD player right next to the projector (on a step-ladder if it's ceiling mounted) and using a really short cable to connect the two (no need to bother about audio for this test). If the problem goes away in thse circumstances, then it points to your cabling as the culprit.

If not, then try another source - a borrowed or second DVD player, a set top box or similar, but using the same cable as for your main installation. If this cures it, it points to your DVD player.

If you've tried everything else, and can't lose the problem, then it points to the projector.

This process of elimination should narrow it down

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Stripe, I think you will find Sean and Nigel are right.

I have seen this many times on different types of projector.

It is usually caused by long runs of poorly screened cable which acts as an aerial and picks uo both Mains and RF interference.
    Keep your cables as short as possible and use a well screened cable ( you can even buy double screened cables ) and keep them well away from mains cables.
    Never run them parallel to mains cables. Cross mains cables at 90 degrees if you have to.

Jeff

5. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi guys

Thanks for tips, I'll give them a try later on tonight. I have a feeling that it may be to do with the mains cables, the dvd has been moved into the far away corner, so the cable run has to travel across 2 four way power extention pads which are about 3/4 full.

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks.

6. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi guys

After moving the DVD player away from the main power cable runs, the picture has returned to it's former glory :clap:

Thanks for all your advice.

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Good news.... :smashin:

S.