1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diagonal Banding on Retro Graphics 801s

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by orlando furioso, Sep 22, 2004.

1. orlando furioso

orlando furioso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since your voodoo worked so well on reanimating my green tube, I feel emboldened asking another stupid question about my Barco Retro Graphics 801s. When watching video from the Composite Video or S-Video jacks, there is this very distracting banding pattern seemingly moving from right to left across the screen. I've included a picture which may help illustrate what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]
    Just above his shoulder, and on his hand you see it.

The effect seems to be more noticable using the S-Video inputs, but that may be just a perceptual thing with my eyes making apologies for the softer composite image. My 27" TV using the same signal path and cables shows no such effect. I find it very obvious and fairly distracting. I'd just like to know A) if there is a name for this sort of thing B) what might be causing it, and C) if there's anything that an averagely technical cheapskate can do about it (short of buying a DVDO iScan HD+)

ps-As an aside, I did have a couple people over to marvel at the screen, and the tube seemed to function just fine, Roland. Just that you could see those lines. Also towards the bottom of this page is another image illustrating the issue.

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think this is a signal issue rather than a projector fault. But as you say it is not apparent on your converntional TV.

Can you rule something out for me here which is to bypass the decoder in the projector. Take your composite video lead and plug it into the green input on the projector, select input 4. (sync on green) You should see just a green image. but does it have your diagonal lines.?

3. orlando furioso

orlando furioso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plainly someone here knows what they are doing. If the banding effect or whatever is there at all, I sure can't see it. Does this mean there's a problem in/with the decoder? I'm guessing this would be somewhat different from those that come in cereal boxes. What's it all mean :confused:?
    [​IMG]

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Normally the 801 decoder is quite good even though it must be about 10 years old now. I would supect yours has gone bad.

5. orlando furioso

orlando furioso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would buying a scaler/scan-converter/line-doubler thingy help this? Plugged into the VGA converter cable maybe? There's a ViewSonic N5 video-proccessor at Fry's for US$130. Would that do the trick, or would I still have the same problem?

EDIT--Nevermind. Bought it. Makes an impressive difference. I suspect an iScan Pro or HD or some other sync-converter would make a profound difference, but at twice or ten times the cost? Still trying to figure out if I'm getting a better picture upscaling to 1024X768@60Hz or just 852X480@60Hz, but it looks so much nicer without the banding.

Linky for specs.