1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

di-poles, bi-poles, tri-poles, schmi-poles

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mike_cummi, Jul 31, 2003.

1. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everybody,

Do these really make much of a difference over conventional speakers?

If so, in the context of a 7.1 system, where do you put them? As sides, backs or both?

I have heard so much conflicting advice and I am sure that I will get a variety of responses.

To summarise what I have heard to date:-

you should only have such speakers on one channel, side or back, not both, as things will get a bit too muddled. If you go for dipoles they should only go at the back, bipoles/tripoles at side or back. You can get some speakers which are dipole/bipole switchable.

AAAARRRGHHHH. I'm confusing myself just writing this.

Perhaps it would be easier if someone could recommend a 7.1 speaker set-up to partner Pioneer 1011 or 2011/denon 2803 or 3803. Budget excluding the sub is around the same as the cost of the aforementioned receivers. Would I be able to get the best out of the receivers on such a budget?

I am pretty much set on a REL quake, need 7 more speakers but just don't know what to go for.

My room is reasonably sized - about 15ft square:confused:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The bipoles are normally placed at the sides in a 7.1 system and they spread the sound more than direct radiating speakers.

If you are interested in the REL Quake I would urge you to also consider the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 which is the king of the compact budget subs (IMHO of course)

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    can bi-poles be used in a normal 5.1 setup, ian j ..?
    cheers

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes, many forum members have Mission bipole speakers as rears

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    The official THX spec recommends dipole speakers either side of the listener (surround L&R) and a pair of conventional speakers behind (surround back).

The idea of *ipoles is to make the sound more diffuse - to make it less obvious where the speakers are. If you imagine that there's a storm going on in the film soundtrack, then conventional speakers risk sounding like you're indoors with the sound of the storm coming in through open windows that are where the speakers are, while *ipoles may be able to able to make it sound more like you're outside and the storm is all round you.

Certainly one can use *ipoles as surrounds in a 5.1 system, and this can be a very nice effect. (Some people even reckon this is a better solution than going to 7.1).

However, opinions vary as to the benefit of *ipole speakers. *ipole speakers are often more expensive and/or less good-sounding than the monopole equivalents. Some people just don't like the effect at all - they think it messes up directional information. And most people would agree that the benefit is quite dependent on the acoustics of the space you're listening in.

6. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    cheers, may buy those eltax ones, seem ok for 50 notes!

7. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    If you can up by another 30-40 pounds i am sure you could source out some Mission ones.. Much better imo and worth it considering the price.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I prefer the Eltax :)

9. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, off-topic: is bipole speaker biwirable?

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Biwiring is a completely separate issue from a speaker being a *ipole.

If a speaker is biwirable that means that there are separate input terminals for different frequency ranges. In a speaker that has two drivers - woofer and tweeter - one set of terminals is connected to the woofer and the other to the tweeter. In a 3-way design the mid-range driver and tweeter are still linked, and there's a separate set of terminals for the bass driver.

A dipole or bipole speaker has two (a tripole, three) sets of drivers facing in different directions. But all of the sets of drivers are fed by the same signal.

So, you could have a bipole speaker which is biwirable - but that wouldn't mean that the two halves of the bipole are fed from different terminals, it would mean that both tweeters were fed separately from both woofers.

11. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, the rest of my speakers are Eltax anyway... 8o)

12. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a pair of the Gale 330 series bi-poles (£80 Richer Sounds) for my 5.1 system.

I was worried that I would loose some of the direction of sound, but they sound good and a pod-racer looming over my right shoulder soon put my worries to rest :)