1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DHT500 - XBox & PS2 poor picture quality

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Mark Beckwith, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Mark Beckwith

Mark Beckwith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m new to this lark, but I have the current set up (as suggested by Denon via several emails!)

500 > TV via Scart (thus TV sound through 500 when in TV mode)
    X Box > 500 via Video 1
    PS2 > 500 via Video 2

Originally had the 500 connected up to TV via S Video (manual suggested this would be superior to Scart), but DVDs didn’t appear too sharp. The switch to Scart solved this. Picture quality for Xbox & PS2 is poor however (looks like interference). Optical is obviously an option, but this will mean I can only connect one of them! Any help gratefully received!

2. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Make sure when connecting to the TV via S-VIDEO you have it set to S-VIDEO in the setup menu on the 500.

I assume your connecting VIA S-VIDEO from the XBOX and PS2 aswell? Im not sure why theres interferance, could possibly be a damaged cable. I have an XBOX connected to mine too. I just run an optical cable from it using the advanced scart from play.com. The video goes straight to the TV. Im pretty sure if using S-VIDEO you'll need to manually select the analogue inputs on the 500 too.

hth

3. Mark Beckwith

Mark Beckwith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had S-VIDEO selected in the setup when using the s-video cable. I've ditched using this cable though, as DVD picture quality seems better using scart.

Both consoles worked fine when connected directly into TV before I had the 500, so I guess that elimanates dodgy cables. I have analogue selected on both video1 & video2. Perhaps I am being simple though - the yellow/red/white plugs on both console leads go into the 500 - nothing goes directly to the TV. I assume this is correct?

4. m4A1

m4A1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Judging by the inputs of this DHT500 system you have very little options. 2 composite inputs and thats it. I don't know whats causing the interference you mention, however, you are using the worst possible connections (excluding RF) to connect your consoles.

If you want ALOT! better picture quality from both consoles, you should definately be using RGB scart leads. If your TV excepts a component input then you should use component leads.

Since your amp has no scart input, you should buy a scart switcher (Argos) connect the DHT500, xbox and PS2 to the scart switcher, then into your TV's RGB socket.

Get an xbox advanced RGB scart lead with optical out to connect to your amp, and a PS2 RGB scart with analogue L/R out to connect you amp. Set up your PS2 to output RGB if its not been done already.

Your looking at 30 - 40 quid for all 3 items if not cheaper depending on where you source them.

5. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yes you can do that fine and just pass the video side of things back to your TV from the 500 via the scart.

Try 1 console at a time to see when the interfearance starts. I personally prefer connecting up via scart though.

6. runner125

runner125

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can't add to the advice given but could someone explain if you need to alter any settings on the denon when connecting ps2 or anything to video 1 or video 2 as i can't get any picture or sound.
    Mark mentions above that " I have analogue selected on both video1 & video2." How do you make this selection?