1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DHL & Customs.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Desticado, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just bene sent an invoice from DHL for £2 customs duty, £10 VAT and £10 admin fee for Band of Brothers. I recieved the disks ages last month!!!

£10 strikes me as an exorbitant admin fee!!! Anyone had any experience with this? Im thinking of sending them a cheque for less than the full amount on the grounds I was not notified of their high admin fee at the time of purchase or delivery.

rekker.. frackker...fricker...

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £22 they are having a laugh

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    surely you should be pointing them in the direction of the disc supplier... unless you agreed to pick up the delivery costs.
    These companies just chance their arm... i recently received a £97 invoice from a store card company, whose account I had paid in full months ago, I phoned them to tell them they were mistaken, the guy on the end of the phone went to check and came back saying I was right the account had a balance of zero.
    They just chance their arm and hope that no-one questions the bill!

4. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ordered a game from the US last year, I had to pick it up myself from the DHL office in Leeds. No mention was made of any import charges at the time.

A month later I got an invoice for import duty, I thought that it was fair enough as it was only about £10 but forgot all about it so never paid it. I never heard anything else about it from DHL.

Surely if there is a charge to be levied it should be at the point of handing over the parcel rather than weeks later. It just doesn't make sense.

5. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    With courier companies that ship into the UK, I think all, if not a large majority of them, make a point of passing their shipments through customs and billing you later for them.

This is the reason why I never choose to ship by courier, even if it is a free option. With the large volume of airmail shipments however, the PO cannot afford to stop everyone of them and therefore quite a few get through.

6. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're buying from the US beware; I generally get charged about one third the value of the items being imported for VAT/Import duty. And UPS are buggers, I received a ton of CDs early August, and rather unexpectedly got a bill from UPS for £170 early November....

7. CW1000

CW1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £10 is normal for DHL

You were lucky it wasn't Parcel Farce as they have a £15 "admin" fee.

8. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to tell you this but £10 is low relative to what you can be charged. Here in Ireland it can be Euro 25 or Euro 35.

Couriers are obliged to declare all deliveries (from outside the EU) and they charge you for doing so and therefore it is to their advantage to do so. However, as you can in theory make the entry yourself they are supposed to seek your permission before doing so and at that stage you have three options:
    Abandon the goods ... but of course you cannot recover money from the supplier.
    Agree to allow them to act as your agent
    Do the paperwork yourself (this is a nightmare and after going through the process once you will gladly pay £10).

My advice is never opt for courier delivery from outside the EU ... even though it is much slower select postal delivery and even if the package is caught there will be no Customs Entry charges.

Up until recently the goods were not delivered until you paid all charges but there appears to be a tendency (especially in the UK) to deliver and then to follow up with an invoice.

9. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    aaah so I'm not he only one who has problems with DHL, then.
    Here's my story:
    I bought Akira and princess mononoke from amazon.ca and it was posted to my address in Luxembourg. The value of the DVDs (without postage) was 55$can/35€/£23. When I got the parcel I had to pay 20€ (3€ handling charge and 17.77€ VAT)15quid!!
    Now in Luxembourg the VAT is 15% yet DHL charged my 50%. So I phoned them up and asked. Here's what they said:
    even though I paid 15$can for postage the real postage charge is close to 80€/£50
    so 80€ postage and 35€ value gives 115€ overall 15% from that is close to 17.77€.
    So from now on they can shove their delivery up their....
    I'm only gonna let it ship with regular mail. It will take longer (not the 2 days DHL took) but it will save me a lot as regular posts is not checked in Luxembourg (never got stung by customs for any of my DVDs from play)
    Free world and trade my ass:mad: :mad: :mad:
    Once again only big companies profit from it, yet when we try to have a taste of that free trade well we have to pay for that
    HTH

10. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

I am amazed to see this kind of problem happen in UK also . In our country the normal postal department . Once I ordered something from Italy One CDRom about Egypt ,then I caustioned the Italian company about our unreliable Poatal service what they did was excellent they sent by normal mail and with Insurance so the delivery becomes slow but you can rest assured that the goods will ever be stolen. From my experience I always avoid DHL for their higher charges.I have good experince with newer Courier company like ARAMEX their charge is almost 40% of DHL and serviceis also excellent. Anotherexperience is if you want to avoid paying Customs and Duty their is away that is you must ask the supllier to write on the Invoice GIFT Item . In that casethe customs cant charge you any duty. Hope this policy i also practiced in UK . Anothervery reliable and Cheap service is called EMS its worlwide serviceof the postal department of the country its always very cheap and efficent and cost only a fraction of Courier service yet their delivery time is very quick like courier companies. Hope this info helps.