1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DG834GT setting up ethernet problem - help needed

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by empress, Jul 12, 2005.

1. empress

empress

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just purchased a Netgear DG834GT and I am having trouble getting it working. If I connect it straight up to my pc I can get connected to the internet. But if I connect it up through my installed cat5 cables it doesnt work. So I have the router in one room plugged into my network point and then in another room I connect my pc to another network point, the light on my network card comes on so there is a connection established but I cant connect to the internet/router.

Can anyone help with this? I would have thought that if I can connect when connected direct to the router there shouldnt be any problems with I do it thru my installed cables house network.

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are your network ports connected to, if anything? Can you ping the router?

Dave

3. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

sorry to cover basics,

I presume the two network connection points in the room you mention are simply connected back to back by your cat5 cable, is it via wall plates or straight termination ?

If wall plates try connecting your PC to router back to back just using your patch leads, Ie two tests. If these are ok then you a re looking at a problem with your cat5 room to room, use the same port on the router each test.

I would double check the termination on this room to room cable, check to make sure you have the pairs to the correct pins for straight through connection. Its very easy to get a wire to the wrong pin.

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    Hi,

as already mentioned, rule out problems with either of the patch cables first, then we're looking at a cat5 problem..

The live pins in use are:
    1 - White/Orange (usually)
    2 - Orange
    3 - White/Green
    6 - Green

Take your faceplates off if you have any, and make sure the wires look like they'e terminated Ok, and not broken or bent through any crazy acute angles..

If you're just using cable-end connectors rather than faceplates and patch leads, re-terminate the cable-ends and try again

'Green light but no traffic' probs such as this are nearly always a dodgy cable somewhere.. :rolleyes:

5. empress

empress

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have checked my patch cables and got a friend to borrow some sort of tester to check the cables where ok and they were.

I think my problem is that the network point (wall plates) have been wired up incorrectly. In pins 4 and 5 there is the two orange wires, so this is totally wrong I think. I got the electrician to wire the points up and he said he knew what he was doing so I will be getting a refund from him and doing it myself.

Can someone comfirm if this is the correct way to wire the network points up where one end is the router and the other end is the PC.

4 - blue
    5 - blue/white
    6 - green
    3 - green/white
    8 - brown
    1 - orange/white
    7 - brown/white
    2 - orange

Also my problem also isn't that I need a hub/switch cos I'm not connecting directly to the router is it? Ive been told that the netgear router I have does not require a hub/switch.

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    Hi Empress,

You're spot on, as you say the correct pin spec is:

1 White/Orange
    2 Orange
    3 White/Green
    4 Blue
    5 White/Blue
    6 Green
    7 White/Brown
    8 Brown

In 'easy' circumstances such as a shortish patch cable, it doesn't matter which colours go to which pins, as long as you do exactly the same at both ends.

But in Cat5 backbone cabling, the pin-outs have to be correct, as the pairs of wires are twisted round each other at different rates, to avoid 'cosstalk' or interference, between the transmit and recieve pairs...

It's possible he's just got the blue and orange pairs reversed, lots of electricians do this for some reason? :eek:

This doesn't always cause problems, but if you examine some cat5 you'll see the orange pair are twisted together much more tightly than the blue... ;)

In any case, if you have any doubts about your cabling, re terminating to the correct wires/pins can only help, and will probably be the answer here.

The blunt-edge of a Stanley knife makes a perfect punchdown tool... mind your fingers though.. ;)

No need to worry about Hubs/Switches either, your DG834 is a switch, so no need for any cross-over patch cables or anything of the sort.

:)

7. empress

empress

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks 'The Dude' :thumbsup: I just need some confirmation that I was doing it right!

8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    you can call me 'dude'.. :)

I'd be real careful if you're ever changing any light fittings too..! :rotfl: :eek: :boring:

:D

I'll publicly retract all my 'anti-sparcy' humour of course, if I'm wrong about the wiring.. :rolleyes: :D